The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • Don’t be Noel Gallagher
    The Forum Herald™
  • This popped in my head today, found a nice (and pretty recent) version of it on Youtube:

• Thanks to it featuring quite heavily in s2 ep5 of The OA (as in, it’s part of the plot, not just background music), I’ve had Lightning Crashes by Live stuck in my head since last night. It was still playing on my mental repeat this morning.

Live. Now there was an odd band. Quasi-religious cultish fanbase, one-hit wonders (over here anyway) and yet … they really had something. Lots of filler through their career, but when they were on form, they are really rather good. The singer was properly bonkers in the nut though.

I went to see them a few years back in Glasgow, and was quite blown away by the crowd’s fervour. They had FANS in bold caps. More obsessed than Pearl Jam fans. More than Morrissey fans. More even than Lamb fans (and Lamb fans are nutso).

Before that, I tried to go see them in Birmingham back in the late ’90s. Knew I was cutting it fine for the last train home, but I was supposed to meet and interview the band before the gig (their PR girl was an old friend of mine). I sat in a pub in Brum waiting for something like four hours, before I gave up – the gig was clearly going to run late as well and I wouldn’t get to see them anyway. Just as I was leaving they rocked up in four separate limousines. A limo each. For a gig with only a few hundred capacity.

ANYWAY. I’ve had Lightning Crashes stuck in my head, so here it is. Dated, sure, but still achingly beautiful.

And their one-hit wonder in the UK market, I Alone.

And, to finish, a deeper cut … Laikini’s Juice.

• Paging Cockbeard.

I really liked them for a time, especially Throwing Copper, but they released a terrible album in the early 2000s iirc and I sort of snapped out of it, for want of a better phrase. Wouldn't change the fact that I listened to them loads but I rarely, if ever, listen to anything other than Copper these days (and it's maybe once every couple of years for that).
  • Throwing Copper is far and away their best album. That PR girl of theirs sent me copies of their entire catalogue on CD and, er … I sold the rest on to a second-hand shop for beer money.
  • Dolphin's Cry is in my head now, I think that's what the track was called. So Live it hurts, almost a pastiche lyrically, but still managing to tick enough boxes.

One of their videos from the album I hated used a load of ground zero footage, that was me out for some reason (even though I loved my Tribute to Heroes DVD to bits). It was a big ballad that wouldn't have been out of place played over a season finale of The Unit.
  • Ha! Yeah, I’d forgotten about that.

I’m just fondly remembering the PR girl now. She was fun. Erica something.
  • I’ve been listening to James blunt’s under rated second album - it could be a masterpiece
    The Forum Herald™
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Throwing Copper was a cracking album, I recall it being played on repeat whilst I completed Rolling Thunder on the Mega Drive. So Lightning Crashes and Rolling Thunder are forever linked in my head. Agree with what poprock says above. It was an easy entry into grunge, kinda like Smash or Dookie were for punk rock. Singer was definitely a mentalist but they could make some great sounding noise when they wanted to
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Jesus Christ, Fontaines DC are like a 21st century Pogues.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Is that a good thing?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Depends if you like earnest sounding Irish rock or not.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • U2?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Howard Jones has a new single out.. it is of course rubbish.
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That Fontaines DC soundtrack doesn't really do it for me despite being a massive Pogues head.

MacGowan spat out lyrics like confetti - was rare for him to base a song around a few lines (like Summer in Siam for example). No quality instrumental accompaniment either.

These boys were nearer the mark though they are more Country.

But I suppose you are right. 21C. shrug.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Jesus Christ, Fontaines DC are like a 21st century Pogues.

This is a great track. The rest of their output isn't up to it though. They're fairly new though so we can give them time. Great video too.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The video is rather good but I'm not sure of the music.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Sounds like gobshite Arctic Monkeys to me :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It’s very confusing having The Fontaines, The Lafontaines, and Fontaines DC all being quite successful.

At least The Fontaines split up last year.
  • davyK wrote:
    That Fontaines DC soundtrack doesn't really do it for me despite being a massive Pogues head.

Yeah tbh I was clutching at straws with the Pogues comparison. The only thing they have in common is that they are Irish. And that they rock.

@Kow Have you heard Too Real?, because that is a killa of a tune too!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not forgetting the Fontaines of Wan
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • hahaha
  • IS IT TOO REAL FOR YOU?

Fuck off, child.
  • Its too grimey for ya!
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A weird one I am gonna pump.

Been listening to my old mix CDs from 2004 and it inspired me to get into the album Spiritual Machines by Our Lady Peace, an album I revered in my teenage years. OLPs output prior and post this record is piss, alt rock, going for the big U2 shit after, but I love this album.
    Yes, it's a concept album. It's about the idea of AI becoming human based on the writings of Ray Kurzweil. He narrates the album at certain points. And yes, the album does descend a little into that 00s rock at points (I'm looking at you, "Middle of Yesterday") but there are some really wonderful moments throughout. I'm loathe to call it the Canadian Radiohead, but there are some good parallels to Ok Computer, and indeed Origin of Symmetry by Muse.

It's not an all timer, but it's a cool, solid album that talks a lot about y2k fear.
  • I knew precisely one person who was into Our Lady Peace back in their heyday. One. They really weren’t big stars in the UK, were they?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No, they were big in the 97-03 period in the states, but really only one album (Gravity) resonated in the UK, and that was very much the 2002 Kerrang scene only.
  • poprock wrote:
    I knew precisely one person who was into Our Lady Peace back in their heyday. One. They really weren’t big stars in the UK, were they?

Were they a wrestling fan by any chance?
  • Can't say I've ever heard of them tbh.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I had them recommended to me by a student.  I did not like them.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!