The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • Between Clipping and Richard Dawson it's a great time on my journeys to and from work and Uni.

Dawson's 2020 is brilliant - heartfelt look at modern Britain, covering all sorts of topics from flooding, working as a phone counsellor, working at an Amazon fulfilment centre, racism, parochial bollocks, playing football as a kid, and jogging to help with anxiety. His lyrics are really animated and candid, and the music is just all over the place, sort of neo-folk mixed with arena synth pop trappings, 

I love it. 

Polar opposite of Clipping which is a towering monstrosity of horror tinged rap.

• Bob wrote:
    What ever happened to the yeah yeah yeahs ?

They said they were taking a break about five years back. Last seen playing a festival gig in London about two years ago. Karen O did that cracking record with Dangermouse but I haven’t heard anything about the rest of the band.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Between Clipping and Richard Dawson it's a great time on my journeys to and from work and Uni. Dawson's 2020 is brilliant - heartfelt look at modern Britain, covering all sorts of topics from flooding, working as a phone counsellor, working at an Amazon fulfilment centre, racism, parochial bollocks, playing football as a kid, and jogging to help with anxiety. His lyrics are really animated and candid, and the music is just all over the place, sort of neo-folk mixed with arena synth pop trappings,  I love it.  Polar opposite of Clipping which is a towering monstrosity of horror tinged rap.

You won't be surprised to hear that I'm also loving the new Richard Dawson record. Musically it's mainly as jagged and awkward as ever, although the palette's a bit wider - and he comes perilously close to good old fashioned hooks in places.  Still, it never quite lets you settle in, forcing you to sit up and listen to what's going on.

I know it sounds really trite, but the thing that most struck me is how utterly humane the record is. Even in its darkest moments, the characters described are utterly human and depressingly relatable. It's both a perfect representation of the current moment, and surprisingly hopeful at the same time.
  • Yeah I thought you’d be a fan! I wonder if neofolk is really just a keyword for “actually had a tough job” these days, because one of the key things that he gets through in this record is an empathy that other writers just struggle to exist. If Merrie Land was a theatrical eulogy to a Britain observed to have changed when viewed by a touring musician on the road, 2020 is an honest and exhausting attempt to understand the way people actually feel.

I really liked Merrie Land, but that was largely due to how detached it felt. Very much a sad memory, vs a lived truth.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Enjoying Richard Dawson too, never heard of him before. He's a bit of Richard Thompson, a bit of Billy Bragg, a bit of Cathal Coughlan. A good combination.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Yeah I thought you’d be a fan! I wonder if neofolk is really just a keyword for “actually had a tough job” these days, because one of the key things that he gets through in this record is an empathy that other writers just struggle to exist. If Merrie Land was a theatrical eulogy to a Britain observed to have changed when viewed by a touring musician on the road, 2020 is an honest and exhausting attempt to understand the way people actually feel. I really liked Merrie Land, but that was largely due to how detached it felt. Very much a sad memory, vs a lived truth.

Yeah, Merrie Land (which I also liked a fair bit) felt quite theatrical and nostalgic, whereas this feels more immediate and real. 

I guess you've already heard his previous album, Peasant, but if not it's worth tracking down as it's every bit as good in my mind - though its examination of "now" is somewhat obscured by the decision to do so through the prism of medieval England.  (At odds with Merrie Land's sadness for what we've lost, Peasant is a timely reminder of how little has changed, both good and bad.)
  • Heard of it, not heard it, so it’s on the list.
  • If I’m going to come out of the dark ages and stop buying cds and stream music which is the best service?

Apple are offering me 90 days free

I’ve let amazon prime lapse but generally I prefer their stuff to apple

Or tidal ?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Tidal if hi res audio is important to you - it isn't to many people yet. Otherwise Spotify.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Spotify regularly do an offer of first 3 months for 99 cents. Don't know if it's on at the moment.
  • Right now you can get Anthem and 6mth of Spotify Premium for £7.97 at PC World.
    http://www.postabargain.co.uk/categories/ps4/anthem-ps4/087052

Also, anthem lol
  • Can I pay more to not get anthem ?

Does Spotify have the most tuneage?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Can’t say anything about Apple but it’s a rare moment that I search something on Spotify and don’t find it.
  • I've found them lacking a couple of podcasts but that was a while back tbf. Haven't ever not found what I'm looking for since.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Most of the stuff that was missing has been gradually appearing.
  • That new Anna Meredith tune (Sawbones – just played live on 6 Music) is a bit bonkers.
  • Forum appears to have eaten my post.

Amazon appeared to have 2 music services, one free with Prime, and another you pay extra for which has more songs.

I can't see past Spotify personally.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think the one with Prime is very bare.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Prime has 17 Neil Young albums. The only one I recognise is Harvest Moon, the rest are weird live things that I've never heard of. Guess his whole catalogue is on Prime Unlimited for 10€ a month.
  • I've found them lacking a couple of podcasts but that was a while back tbf. Haven't ever not found what I'm looking for since.

Podcasts are music for dads
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hark at the spring chicken there!
  • Music Post Only in the Music Thread
  • Latest Clipping album done. It's Aesop Rock on Purge night. Very good.
  • Bob wrote:
    If I’m going to come out of the dark ages and stop buying cds and stream music which is the best service?

Apple are offering me 90 days free

I’ve let amazon prime lapse but generally I prefer their stuff to apple

Or tidal ?

Think I'm one of the few to use Apple Music but I like it a lot. Never not had a song I wanted, has all new releases and great playlists. Plus their own 'radio' stations etc as well.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Oh it also has full sonos / alexa integration now.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

• I got you Dante, this can't slide with no comment.

Again.

What?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Also, google play rarely misses stuff.

Its playlists/radio/curation are meh, but youtube red included. No ads on YouTube and access to originals. (which means 1 alright SF show (origin) and cobra kai (ask Gonzo))

Same price as spotty.
  • Talk to me about Clipping
  • They're really good. (is it a they're or is it just the dude?)

Could do with a few more tracks that lean on having an actual beat/drums, because stuff like the track you linked to are straight fire.

The sparse stuff is fun and all, and it's kinda nice listening to an album that gives no fucks and will sit on a piano/static loop for 30 seconds with no vocals, but yeah, moments of get the fuck on with it.

Having said that, I kinda appreciate burning piano. Very on brand. But also skipped forever now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!