LEGO - wotevs (blanket thread)
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Just finished building The bonsai tree set.

Really nice build, clever techniques for the trunk especially.

It comes with green leafy foliage and pink cherry blossom made up mostly of frogs.
    I built the green version and will swap to blossom in spring. It is built around little foliage modules so once each set is built it's just four bits to swap, rather than every piece individually.

I think it tends to be on sale a lot so if you see it and are tempted it gets a big thumbs up from me.

Oh I have this too. Got it as a birthday present.

It's a lovely design, sits on my desk at work. Love the use of over 100 pink frogs for blossom.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yeah I didn't realise they were frogs until I got the set. Excellent stuff.
  • Boy and I did his Razor Crest (not the UCS one!) earlier in the week, that was a fun build.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Looks like a good set that one.
  • Austy got the home alone house set for chrimbo
    The Forum Herald™
  • Amazing!! Post pics when it's done
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Boy was drooling over the Avengers tower set built and displayed in Lego store. Then he saw the price. It does look good. But either they made it wrong or the curves with straight pieces is shit.
  • My Lego backlog is getting out of hand.  I now have the Batman Tumbler, Mindful Garden and some digger thing as WIP, with two more Speed Champions and a Ford GT40 build unopened.  Best finished one recently was the Death Star Trench Run which is comprised of 99% tiny ickle pieces, which made a nice change from the bigger models.

I need to just accept that E isn't massively committed to these projects and I should probably be brave and try them unsupported by a child.
  • I have the Technic Ferrari from around March time, Mario ? Block from around April, and bought Bowser in Black Friday deal. Dammit. 

Kids wanna do the Mario ones with me so I’ll have to find a free weekend which is usually very very hard.
  • Please send any backlog Lego with stamped addressed return packaging to my PO Box. Thank you.
  • Fucking hell.
  • Wow
    The Forum Herald™
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    I can’t wave a button mushroom.

Post of the year.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I built a Technic McLaren for my nephew a short while ago. Gotta say, as someone who loves putting Lego sets together, I’m not sure I’m a fan of Technic. It feels like there’s so little there that can be reused, and that’s such a crucial part of Lego.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I built a Technic McLaren for my nephew a short while ago. Gotta say, as someone who loves putting Lego sets together, I’m not sure I’m a fan of Technic. It feels like there’s so little there that can be reused, and that’s such a crucial part of Lego.

A licensed car set’s gonna be the worst for that though because the design focus will be on accurately replicating the contours of the car. Technic do actually have a 2-in-1 range that is a bit like the Lego Creator 3-in-1 range - you might prefer those.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I'd guess it's the Senna GTR, because that's a much cheaper set. I'm not a big fan of that, I don't think it does the car itself justice.
  • I was under the impression that a lot of the Technics stuff had an alternate build within the set? Don’t know if they still do it but it certainly used to be a thing. Personally I’m not a fan of the Technics range, it feels a little too serious to me somehow, like it loses the joy of the standard stuff a bit.
  • yes or you can buy additional "plans" online which others have created for alt sets
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I was under the impression that a lot of the Technics stuff had an alternate build within the set? Don’t know if they still do it but it certainly used to be a thing. Personally I’m not a fan of the Technics range, it feels a little too serious to me somehow, like it loses the joy of the standard stuff a bit.

Yeah, they have an orange 2-in-1 symbol on the box.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • About six bags into the home alone house at this stage

416682783_10232584338409994_9200581735068917778_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dd5e9f&_nc_ohc=FPDSYaz__-4AX_Vowkf&_nc_ht=scontent.fiom2-1.fna&oh=00_AfBdpBnwK5llzh_EV5tfEkCiSiPA2Z9QDgW1wCsxs7ENwg&oe=659923F7
    The Forum Herald™
  • Am jealous.

On Technic. Never really clicked (pun) with me but my brother loved it when we were kids. Unsurprisingly he is now an engineer. Similar thing with Meccano and my dad, he loved it as a kid and became an engineer. I found Meccano to be fiddly bullshit.

There are some cool things in Technic though. I remember my brother getting a truck set that had a hydraulic crane on the back, found that fascinating as a kid. Similar with the engine and piston systems.
    There are all the Mindstorms computer stuff as well, I think for a certain mindset Technic is a great introduction to more complex coding and engineering principles.

edit: It also allows some of the big UCS sets to exist. Cant imagine the massive star ships without the Technic internals.
  • I was well into Technic growing up. One of the best Christmas presents I ever got was the Control Centre, made loads of contraptions with that bad boy:

8094-1.jpg
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I was watching a review of the new insect set yesterday and Im very tempted. Looks to be a really nicely designed collection. £70 is still a bit much for me but Ill keep an eye out for any offers.

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/the-insect-collection-21342
  • just seen that one of the yt'ers i watch has won Brick Masters
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I was watching a review of the new insect set yesterday and Im very tempted. Looks to be a really nicely designed collection. £70 is still a bit much for me but Ill keep an eye out for any offers. https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/the-insect-collection-21342

Ooh, they'd look great nestled among some of the botanical stuff.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • It's not really shown there but all three insects easily come off the stands. The mantis and to a slightly lesser extent the beetle can be posed to stand independently as well so you could have the mantis climbing the pot of another plant or something. Or you can just swap the stands around.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!