Mining for gems
  • NES

Shadow of the Ninja
    Shatterhand
    Rollergames

Master System

Jurassic Park
    Batman Returns

MS had some decent licensed games that didn't make a ripple at the time and were overlooked despite being superior to the 16-bit games (MD at any rate).  Ground up stuff, not scaled down ports. 

Also Ghouls 'n Ghosts, simply because it doesn't get enough recognition for the MS exclusive additions that made it slightly Wonderboy in Mosterland-ish - permanently upgradable boots/armour etc.
  • Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath has gotta take my top spot though, phenomenal and tragically overlooked.
    It never occured to me that SW was overlooked. Always thought it was one of those that everyone rated at the time.
  • It got a lot of love critically iirc, didn't translate to sales though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Buck Bumble was a great shout. I'd like to also put votes in for Space Station Silicon Valley, and Rocket Robot on Wheels. The latter is probably the best optimisation of the N64 hardware outside a first party title.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Psi Ops
    Cosmic Express
    Hexcells
  • XIII on xbox
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Earthbound
    Wind waker
    Gtaiv
    Jet force Gemini
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Ah yes, Grand Theft Auto IV, the 25-million selling hidden gem.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    XIII on xbox

Loved that.
  • Cool thread, i keep lists of stuff for memories, (games, film, books, tv, etc.) I just went through the games one and it's amazing what you forget but remember so vividly when you see it written down. Apologies if some of these aren't obscure enough

Blast Corps (n64)
    Body Harvest (n64)
    Smugglers Run (ps2)
    Warhammer 40k, Dawn Of War (pc)
    Lumines (phone)
    Castlestorm (xbox)
    Rime (xbox)
    Race pro (xbox)
    Wrecked: Revenge Revisite (xbox)
    Joy ride turbo (xbox)
  • I decided blast corps was too obvious. Maybe I'm wrong.

(it's no gta IV though.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Did anyone else play Escape Velocity Nova on the PC? Probably my most played game back in high school times
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    I decided blast corps was too obvious. Maybe I'm wrong.

(it's no gta IV though.)

I didn't put Blast Corps on my list coz Rare were everywhere back then. It's a top 10 of all time for me, but it's not suitable for here, I don't think. Now, Viva Piñata....
  • Hi five for reg on blast corps. Cracker of a game.
  • Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (although I think people have cottoned on now it's been on Plus)

XBLA:

Switchball
    Shank 2
    Scott Pilgrim*
    Renegade Ops
    Thunder Wolves

*No idea if this counts as a 'hidden' gem tbh, it may have sold loads.  It's great though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Hi five for reg on blast corps. Cracker of a game.

I say this every couple of years or so, but back in the day, I had the official Nintendo magazine record for Oyster Harbour, never beaten
  • DC

Super Magnetic Neo

PS

Silent Bomber

Saturn

Keio Flying Squadron 2
  • The original Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen

Had bags of atmosphere and a pretty good plot that weaved through time and wasn't the mess of the later games.

It was sort of Zelda ish in terms of structure now I think back on it.
  • Frosty wrote:
    The original Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen Had bags of atmosphere and a pretty good plot that weaved through time and wasn't the mess of the later games. It was sort of Zelda ish in terms of structure now I think back on it.

Ohh i forgot about those games, loved them.
  • Jumping Flash.

jumping.jpg

It’s fantastic, a bit easy maybe and the non-jumping tunnel levels are crap but I loved that sense of freedom in bouncing weightlessly from platform to platform in these surreal, abstract worlds. The fact that the graphics were unrealistic and cartoony means they’ve probably held up far better than many early PlayStation games. I also liked the atmosphere, the crazy Engrish translations of the cut scenes and the fact the music wasn’t overbearing and was kept low in the mix behind the sound affects - as if it were coming from miles away and was caught on the breeze, occasionally wafting in your direction.

Metal Gear Acid.

metal_gear_acid.png

I’m not much of a MGS fan, the first one was good but after that I got bored of the stealth and thoroughly pissed off with being made to sit through so many interminable cut scenes ... so I actually prefer MG Acid to any of them barring the original. I’m a sucker for isometric graphics too, and the turn based card game elements seemed far more suited to a portable than the later ‘proper’ MGS games (which I bought and predictably soon tired of). I preferred the style of the first one, rather than the more cartoony sequel but I surprised myself in spending so much time on this game back when the PSP came out.

People have mentioned my other obvious choices like Wetrix and Lumines. I think someone mentioned Fantavision too, which I liked. Respect to whoever mentioned Overboard, that was a lovely little game.

Links 2004 on Xbox was a brilliant golf game, before Microsoft stopped the series and I thought Everybody’s Tennis deserved more love and appreciation, it’s lovely and a fitting accompaniment to the fantastic golf series.

LiberoGrande has been totally overshadowed and made irrelevant by FIFA’s pro mode and Pro Evo’s subsequent knock off but it was pretty unique at the time, controlling just one player in the team and trying to single handedly rescue your hapless teammates from another humiliation. Nice chunky colourful Jap graphics too.

1294862-psogl016.jpg

Ergheiz - Squaresoft’s attempt at a 3D fighter (with yer man from FFVII), I only owned it for awhile before selling it on or swapping it or something but it was intriguing at the time.

latest?cb=20090121211024

Pandemonium too, whilst we’re on PSone era games. I remember enjoying that, far more than later platformers like Crash and Spyro.
  • man this thread is amazing, getting so many memories, my list had forgotten lylat wars!!
  • Shouts from LD on Links and Libero Grande. Big big fan of random middle of the road sports titles.

Like any nfl game that wasn't Madden at the turn of the century. Each one better than the big dog.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Jumping Flash is a game is still want to play, 20 odd years late.
  • Topspin.
    FEAR 2.
    Transistor.
    Risky Woods.
  • Links was always great. Played it heaps on the PC back in the day with my dad online. Used to make my own courses too.
  • Transistor is solid.

I reckon Mark of the ninja passes for this thread too.
  • Mark of the Ninja is a good call, that was fucking excellent.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!