Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The game does seem to recommend 3 stop strategies far more than I would have thought likely. Its also a shit strategy because the AI tend to do one less stop than the one you get recommended, which always leads to you losing about 5 or 6 places.
  • That was the first time I'd done a three stop, normally I eek out a 1 or 2 stop. I was very quick at the end and catching cars.
  • Bob wrote:
    I can’t remember anyone doing a scheduled three stop this year. Mostly everyone one stops and the only strategy calls are the under cut or going long,

It’s a bit too many dnfs this season has seen very few, 

I mean it’s all a bit how I remember Codie’s f1 game. It’s like they’ve got no idea how the season is going to pan out despite launching halfway through the season.

The dnf's were probably down to engine parts, it's a balancing act of deciding what engine parts to use at what circuit without incurring penalties. Making a gearbox last for 6 races is harder than it sounds. I went full new parts for Canada which helped alot, but I'm gonna pay for that down the line.
  • I'm sure it makes sense in game. What I'm suggesting is it's not a very accurate simulation of this season.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Austria. Upgrades for the car delivered. Aero, Chassis and Engine upgrades. We are now joint top of the midfield teams with Haas according to the comparision charts. Austria, is like a giant go-kart track, which is good for me as i do well on those type of tracks. Engineer pointed out before FP1 that the race was expected to start wet and gradually dryout. He suggested we compromise the setup for race day rather than qually. I didnt listen, this would come back to haunt me.

FP1 was going well, i was hitting all the team targets. However on turn 3 i lost the rear end and smashed the front of the car into a wall. End of FP1.

FP2 & FP3 passed without incident. However my qually practice run was showing that i was very quick, very.

Qually was wet and everyone went out on inters. Apart from me. A leak meant i lost 10 mins of qually time. When i did get out for my flying lap, Perez screwed up my run on his outlap. That meant i was 16th when i came back in the pits. Just managed one more awful qually run and got to Q2 in 15th position. Just.

The weather improved for Q2 and i made the top ten shootout comfortably. Q3, was wet again, i was down in tenth. I thought id try one more run at the end of Q3. Just before i crossed the start line for the lap with less than 30 seconds to go, DRS was re-enabled. I was the last car to start my run and now i had DRS. So i ended up P1. Yep pole position.

The race start was on full wets, it was pouring down. Bottas who started P2, got the better of me going into turn 1, i outbraked myself and damaged my front wing on the back of his car. Feck. Hamilton and Vettel got past on the first lap as well, when i had a massive tankslapper in turn 3 again. The damage to the front wing meant the car was understeering. Also a few laps in, i realised why i got P1 in qually (other than getting DRS). The other drivers in the top ten had compromised their cars in qually for race pace. They were much quicker than me in the wet. However i had become a mobile cork in the bottle and was holding up alot of cars. The guys in front of me just shot off into the distance.

My engineer suggested that i come in for Inters, i jumped at the chance, but i decided not to replace the front wing at the stop.

TBC........

• jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Cliffhanger!
  • I don't really understand the fascination with let's plays and twitch etc...watching people play games seems a weird way to spend time if you could be playing them instead.
    but i think i enjoy these f1 updates more than if i was playing myself. if i was playing, the updates would go something like:
    P1: failed the first test then binned it.
    P2+P3: skipped these.
    qualifying. did a lap, skip to race. qual in 16th
    race: used up all rewinds on 1st lap diving up insides trying to gain places. in 7th by lap 3, binned it on lap 4 with no rewinds left, end of race.
    turned game off.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Austria continued...

I came out of the pits just ahead of alonso, unfortunately he'd stopped the lap before so his tyres were up to race temperature, mine were unfortunately not. My favourite corner coming up fast, turn 3. I outbraked myself and missed the apex completely, alonso sailed past. Bollocks. I wasn't doing too bad as i was in 5th, but there was a gaggle of cars behind me wanting to get past. In my exuberance, i tangled with Sainz and broke part of the right side of the front wing. Fuck. Well at least i had symmetry now right? Also i got given a 3 second penalty to be applied post race. Double fuck. My understeer now turned into a lack of downforce and the inevitable surge of cars passing me.

I radioed the engineer to ask about the weather. The rain would break in 10 minutes. I decided to try to extend the stint and hold out for dry tyres. Some of the other cars did not, so i found myself back in 5th again. The car was awful to drive, even though both sides of the front wing were damaged, i calculated that a new wing would definitely put me out of the points position. So i decided to ask for the downforce to be cranked up on my next stop by two notches. It couldnt make the car any worse to handle right?

Lap 25 and engineer said to come in at end of this lap for dry tyres. They were recommending a set of new SuperSofts. I had a pair of used Ultrasofts that i toyed with using, but in the end decided to listen to the teams advice.

Came in put on the SuperSofts, had the two notches of downforce added and off i went. I'd dropped to 8th. However the track was drying out fast and my dry setup was coming back into play all be it with a damaged front wing.

Whilst it had been raining heavily, I'd been running a lean fuel mix, that meant i had 3 laps + of extra fuel to burn off. I decided not to waste it straight away. Magnessen in 7th was my target. However Sainz was behind me in 9th, gunning for payback, we tangled again, he went spinning off the track, i some how kept it on the straight and narrow. Then boom Saftey Car was called (for Sainz). Great i thought, i might have a chance of a decent haul of points on the restart.

The safety car chain was a mess of cars out of sequence, due to backmarkers and drivers switching out Inters for dry tyres. When it was annouced that the saftey car was coming in, i switched fuel mix to rich, time to burn it off. The saftey car came in with 3 laps to go, lights went green and it was carnage. I jumped two cars into the braking zone, however it was the braking zone for turn 3, and once again i got a tankslapper on when i applied the power alittle too eagerly. I dropped back to 9th. fuck fuck fuck. Whats worse was that i noticed the cars that went past had UltraSoft tyres on. Balls, i should have gone Ultrasofts on my stop as well. I tried in vain to catch the cars infront, but to no avail. Well until magnesson drove into a backmarker when trying an overtake. Taking him and the backmarker out of play. Perez got caught out as he was chasing magnesson. I inherited 7th place on the last lap. Unfortunately as i crossed the line, I'd forgotten about my 3 second penalty. The final race result had me in 11th. Balls, after all that, no points.

I leave Austrian empty handed. A weekend of promise thrown away. On sliver lining is that i have parts upgrades coming for Silverstone in the next race.
  • British GP. Tyre choices for the weekend were S/M/H. I mention this as i fucked up. During FP's there was a distinct lack of grip, i thought that going with the harder compounds during the race would allow me to do a 1 stop. However things didnt go to plan.

Q1, had an electrical issue, so lost time during the session. Went out on softs and lost the backend of the car in turn two. Smashed the front wing. Got back to the pits and damage was light enough to allow one more run. Just by the skin of my teeth made it to Q2, by qualifying 15th.

Q2, made a decision to run the mediums. The delta compared to the Softs was +0.4 seconds a lap. The Hards were a massive + 1.2 seconds a lap slower than the Softs. I reasoned that those who ran the Softs at start of race would have to 2 stop. This would come back to haunt me. Anyway i had one set of Mediums. On my flying lap lost the backend on turn 2 and skidded off the track. No damage to the car, but I'd taken extra life off my single set of Mediums for Q2.

Back in the pits. 5 mins to go. I should have been sensible and switched to the Softs. However i wanted to do a one stop race. So i went out again on my current set of Mediums. A few corners before the start of my flying lap, i checked the tyre temps and they werent high enough. The inner carcuss of the tyre was around 85c and outer at 90c. Bollocks, that would explain my turn 2 skid in my previous run. So i had to do another warm-up lap, this meant taking more life out of the tyres and having only a single flying lap. I qualified in P10. Just made it to Q3. The only other person to use Medium tyres in Q2 was Riccardo.

By Q3 I'd learnt my lesson. I made sure the tyres were in optimal operating window during my qually runs. I did two seperate runs on the Soft tyres and qualified P3. Alonso was P5. So the car was quick generally on the Softs.

Race day. Riccardo was in P4. The only other drive to start the race on Mediums, everyone else was starting on Softs. My strategy would be to switch to the Hard tyre at my first and only stop and try a one stop race. That would prove to be a mistake.

The race begun and i dropped down to P5. Riccardo and Bottas getting past me on the run down to turn 1. However more importantly i was behind Riccardo which wasnt good as it was imperative for my strategy to be ahead of him. I settled in for a long stint. After awhile it dawned on me that the degradation for the Softs wasn't that bad as the the drivers on the Softs kept going, plus i was giving up 0.4secs a lap to those who ran the Softs. Foolishly i stuck to my guns for my pit window ansd put on the Hards. In hindsight the Softs were the best option. Riccardo re-passed me in the pitstop and i saw out a very lonely race in P6. Alonso finished P3 after Vettel and Bottas both got DNFs. Thats now two races in a row Alonso has had better race finishes than me. The car is getting better all the time and Alonso is proving to be a difficult teammate to beat.

Coming under pressure from the team for my last two finishes 11th and 6th. Mainly because alonso has finished 3rd and 3rd.

Onto german gp now.
  • Nah, i dont touch MP ever in F1. Like the single player career too much.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Can imagine there'd be a pile up on the first corner of every race.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    A
    Can imagine there'd be a pile up on the first corner of every race.

Apparently there is a ranking/reputation system. The more crashes you have that are your fault, the more likely you are to be grouped with similar players, and vice versa.

No idea if it works.
  • If it’s anything like gt sport probably not
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah don’t think MP wild be very good in this type of game. It would screw up the authenticity as you’d get some dickheads just messing up for fun etc.

Still loving the commentary Dino. But it’s stupid question time. Are the races actual length? It’s not like FIFA where the games are sped up?
  • Usually you can choose a certain amount of laps
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Yeah don’t think MP wild be very good in this type of game. It would screw up the authenticity as you’d get some dickheads just messing up for fun etc.

Still loving the commentary Dino. But it’s stupid question time. Are the races actual length? It’s not like FIFA where the games are sped up?

You can pick the race distance 10%, 25%,50% and 100%. I do 50% i think. You can save your session so you dont have to do it all in one go.
  • Gonna up load some in game pics, hope they work. Bear with me.

The practise programme
    20180921_222942.jpg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nope didn’t work
  • The tyres for the weekend

20180921_222954.jpg
  • The contract page, where bonus perks are negotiated and you can see your value to the team

20180921_231440.jpg
  • R&D comparison page for the teams. This was at British GP.

20180921_231503.jpg
  • The R&D development page showing the branches of Areo dynamics, Chassis, Engine and Durability
    20180921_231520.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!