Christ it's hot/cold/windy!
  • One good thing about the flat is it's nice and quiet around here. South Street runs along the top of my street and it's industrial all the way until it ends after about a mile or so where BAE sytems are and their huge buildings. The Clyde runs alond the side of all the buildings in the pic and on an evening it's lovely to walk down. No trees or grass to speak of but no people either, and it's long and straight enough that you can watch the Sun set on the horizon. Not everyone's cup of tea but I'm getting rather fond of it.

MPmxgRZ.jpg
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Hot
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • And I’m working from home FFS rather than in a freezing cold office with the AC on max. At least don’t have to get on train etc.

Gotta grab the room fan as soon as kids bloody get out of bed.
  • I've been working in the garden last couple of days and again today... It does get a tad warm. Start around 9 but knock it off at 12:30/1 before it gets real killer
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Nice cycle in to work today but this evening could be a bit much given the current forecast of 'feels like' 35°C.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Stephen Collins just retweeted this strip from last year:

et0XKYy.jpg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wimps. It's been 35-40º every day here for the last 2 months. Buy a fan and put on a pair of shorts for fuck sake.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You live in a country that’s built for these temperatures. Nobody would build my flat in Spain because it would be easier to climb into an oven and turn it on.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't have air con or anything. The only thing I can do is open a window really. Get one of those water mist bottles and sit in front of a fan (manual or electric).
  • It is the rapid change really, we have shifted 20 degrees in a fortnight.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The IRA's long term plan of burning tires and leaving fridge doors open finally comes to fruition...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I don't have air con or anything. The only thing I can do is open a window really. Get one of those water mist bottles and sit in front of a fan (manual or electric).

A lot of it’s about house design. Houses in the U.K. are designed to collect as much sunlight as they can during the long, dark winter months, which is glorious in those periods, but pretty much the opposite of what you want in 30 degree heat.

I’m not particularly familiar with house design in Spain, but when I lived in Egypt, it was clear that smaller windows, thicker walls, tiled floors and the addition of shutters were key to reducing heat.

My current flat is a complete sun trap. It’ll be great in the winter, not so much right now.
  • Huge patio doors in our south facing living room! The south facing bedroom is horrible too. 

I’m working in the north facing bedroom with fan on. Not too bad right now.
  • Fuck off big sash windows here.
    N9JV8B3.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Huge patio doors in our south facing living room! The south facing bedroom is horrible too. 

I’m working in the north facing bedroom with fan on. Not too bad right now.

I’ve got massive windows in my flat which are great, but none face north so I get direct sunlight through all of them at various points in the day. As my living room has windows on two walls, it gets direct sunlight from about 10am to about 8pm at the moment.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    My flat hasn't been too bad because it's part of an old Edinburgh tenement so tends to be slow to change temperature, which can be a blessing but also a curse. I have the additional benefit of extremely dirty windows just now to help block sunlight.

My work building in comparisoin is very new and theoretically passive, although it can become very hot at times so I have had to put a fan on for a while during the afternoon already a couple of times so far this week. Currently surviving.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The one thing most Spanish houses have for the sun is awnings. Almost every balcony will have them. They're a godsend. Windows are not small though.
  • I've been in the south of Spain since Monday and I don't know how some people can lie in the sun all day. We're in a nice hotel with a pool. Spanish couples are out on the sun loungers from 10am lying in the full sun, not a hint of shade. Temperature in the mid 30s. Mental.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Mid 30s is not considered particularly hot.
  • My flat is largely north-facing, so stays nice and cool, but my bedroom window is west-facing, so the temperature builds in the evening, ready for me to go to my bed.
  • I used to have a place right on Glasgow Green. Biggest green space in the city, fact fans. My flat had a full edge to edge, floor to ceiling, glass wall facing south and looking out over the green. Lovely idea. WAY TOO FUCKING HOT all the time in the summer. Also meant you couldn’t see anything on the TV until the sun went down.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Genuine straight A fannies up in here. I'm in shorts, topless, back door open (calm it hair) and its glorious
  • Hey @Kow whats the hottest day youve had where you are?

Ive had at least 2 days over 46C here.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Genuine straight A fannies up in here. I'm in shorts, topless, back door open (calm it hair) and its glorious
    Yeah but it is 5 degrees cooler in Manchester than it is here.
  • When the missus visited the UK with me, she couldn’t believe houses didn’t have air con as standard. I argued that it was kinda pointless in the UK as it was never really hot enough to justify having A/C in houses.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’d be a lot of cost for something you’d maybe need for a month or two out of the year at absolute most.
  • It's hot here but manageable. Keep cool London badgers. Pull a sickie.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Genuine straight A fannies up in here. I'm in shorts, topless, back door open (calm it hair) and its glorious
    Yeah but it is 5 degrees cooler in Manchester than it is here.

Then go shortless, for the lady's pleasure
  • spare a thought for the kitchen staff
  • *not me, fortunately. But i do spend a lot of time in a barbershop with hairdryers running all day. It's quite insufferable

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!