Christ it's hot/cold/windy!
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I'm going to re-enact Under Siege 2 Wooks, you want in?

WHERE AND WHEN?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 44 real degrees today. 

That's toasty.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Only -2 today.

Can see for more than 50 metres though.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Three days this week of 44C. 

Two of those days it was the hottest place (recorded) on Earth. 

We better get some nice storms and rain after all this.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Move immediately. It's not going to get better but I admire the brave face.
  • The record is about 48.

Since Ive been here its not gotten much past 46.
  • Do what I do and invest in an electric blanket.
  • Haha. It would have short circuited yesterday. It was 32 and 80% humidity. The storms just pushed warm humid air into the house.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thunderstorms and Flash Flood warnings keep on popping up on my phone. 
    Severe thunderstorms produce damaging winds, destructive hail, deadly lightning and very heavy rain. For your protection, move to an interior room on the lowest floor of your home or business. Heavy rains flood roads quickly so do not drive into areas where water covers the road.
    Move to higher ground now. Act quickly to protect your life.

It is indeed raining outside, I'm wondering if this is California not knowing how to deal with something that isn't sun, or if there really is something going on. Stuck my head outside the door but everything's still there, just wet. And the roads here aren't suited to that, they have nothing next to the roads that can lead all the water away.
  • Well, the weather in Cali has made it to the front page of the BBC site. So might be bad.
    "Strongest storms in decades" nicknamed "Bombogenisis"!

Talk about taking the weather with you Nina. Hope you are all safe.
  • Nina wrote:
    Thunderstorms and Flash Flood warnings keep on popping up on my phone. 
    Severe thunderstorms produce damaging winds, destructive hail, deadly lightning and very heavy rain. For your protection, move to an interior room on the lowest floor of your home or business. Heavy rains flood roads quickly so do not drive into areas where water covers the road.
    Move to higher ground now. Act quickly to protect your life.
    It is indeed raining outside, I'm wondering if this is California not knowing how to deal with something that isn't sun, or if there really is something going on. Stuck my head outside the door but everything's still there, just wet. And the roads here aren't suited to that, they have nothing next to the roads that can lead all the water away.

West coasts of mid latitude continents bordering oceans ... great conditions for thunderstorms. 

If you are east of a line of hills or mountains, expect more.

Also southwest cloudbands in El Nino years might be contributing here. Theyve had a pretty dry few years so this rain is unusual. The vegetation growth will be feral after this rain once spring arrives. 

I'd recommend looking at what you can do re: firebreaks if youre in a semi-rural area once it warms up.

Source: west coast of australia is very similar.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hm, Bas says the warnings have cleared for this area, but maybe that's just because I need to pick him up at his work. We'll see, as long as the roads aren't covered in trees I should be good.

We're west of the mountains, north east of some hills, so I think that should be fine as well. And I'm just glad my mom's asleep now, no worrying phonecalls after watching the news.
  • It will be a big change compared to Europe living.
    When they issue official warnings it is worth listening.

I would say it is worth having a small supply of food, torches, batteries etc stashed away.

When I was in a hurricane in Florida we were a bit blase about it. Picked up some canned food and bottled water. The Hurricane didn't do much damage around us but power was out overnight and a good while into the next day and a lot of places weren't open for a couple of days after. I could easily see how it could have been a few days or even a week before normality resumed.
  • Nina wrote:
    Hm, Bas says the warnings have cleared for this area, but maybe that's just because I need to pick him up at his work. We'll see, as long as the roads aren't covered in trees I should be good. We're west of the mountains, north east of some hills, so I think that should be fine as well. And I'm just glad my mom's asleep now, no worrying phonecalls after watching the news.

If youre west of mountains then perhaps it might be worth checking what the catchment areas are - flood warnings might be something to learn about if you are near riverbeds or at low elevation. 

Not trying to worry you, just info on what might be relevant.

Out of interest I wonder if you get strong sea breezes in summer. What's your latitude and proximity to the coast?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks for the tip Live, I've only a can of coconut milk and crushed tomatoes. Wouldn't last us very long. Will keep a closer eye to all the coupon deals and stock up a little if there's something interesting in there. Just picked up Bas and all is fine for today.

Latitude is 33.72, closest bit of coast is 10 miles away (just made a direct line in google maps). I don't know anything about closeby riverbeds etc yet, were supposed to go out this weekend (Bas his first 3 day weekend, President Day on Monday) and explore a bit. I still get lost in the parking area's in the market place around the corner.
  • Oh so youre in a relatively big city then? Sounds like you are at least north enough to get decent winter fronts and maybe not so many hurricanes. I wonder if when you do get them they are more likely to get fire danger rather than heavy rain? There was a cyclone that came down the coast of WA a long time ago and all it did for the southern half was drag in very hot air from the desert (temps over 46 C) towards the coast and lots of fires eventuated. 

Your summer hot days will possibly involve an offshore trough and E/SE winds. 

If youre anywhere near mountains though, the climate would be fantastic for stargazing if that's up your alley. Clear, dry air. Get above the city haze though.
  • Having lived in a place which has proper hurricanes, I suggest the following:

2 x power packs for any electronics you wanna keep going in the event of a power cut (prioritise phones for emergency services, of course - get extra power packs if you want to keep gaming devices running)
    Bottled Water
    Canned Goods
    Heavy duty tape (for windows - tape them up before any big storm and it'll mean any debris that hits the glass won't cause it to shatter and fly)
    A BIG thermos flask - boil some hot water and fill it and it'll mean you can have hot drinks for a day or so.
    Dried foods - nuts, fruit etc.
    A couple of torches

99 times out of a 100 you won't need any of that, but if you get caught directly under the middle of a big one then you can have 24-48 hours of torrential rain and winds. It's not that dangerous, given how buildings are made nowadays, but you'll be far more comfortable having that stuff.

Buy the non-perishables and just leave them in a cupboard somewhere.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It's not that dangerous, given how buildings are made nowadays, but you'll be far more comfortable having that stuff.
    Have you seen American community apartments? I haven't dared leaning against any of the wails, afraid of falling through. 

Bottled water is always here, no one drinks tap water. Dried nuts and fruits wouldn't last a day if I know where they are stored, so I might give this task to Bas, he can hide the emergency kit.
    I have no idea how the weather actually is in this area, it's just south of LA (build against it more or less). I thought earthquakes and fires were a known thing, didn't expect to have all this rain.
  • Nina wrote:
    It's not that dangerous, given how buildings are made nowadays, but you'll be far more comfortable having that stuff.
    Have you seen American community apartments? I haven't dared leaning against any of the wails, afraid of falling through. 

Bottled water is always here, no one drinks tap water. Dried nuts and fruits wouldn't last a day if I know where they are stored, so I might give this task to Bas, he can hide the emergency kit.
    I have no idea how the weather actually is in this area, it's just south of LA (build against it more or less). I thought earthquakes and fires were a known thing, didn't expect to have all this rain.

If it's apartment building it'll be brick or concrete, I expect. As long as it's not wood frame (like in Florida), you're gonna be fine with wind.

As I mentioned, most of the time you'll be fine - getting caught at the outer tip on a hurricane will just mean 3-6 hours of moderate winds. Really, that kit is just for the random mega hurricane you'll get every decade or so.
  • 33N is a bit far north to be getting cyclones isn't it? The sea surface would be well below 30C by then, yeah? 

I'm at 28S, and when we get TCs they are usually only Cat 1 or rarely Cat 2 (Australian scale), and most of them have started to shear apart by then.

Perhaps things are different in China through the South China Sea and across to Vietnam. The waters are probably shallower through there so might be warmer waters and more fuel for the typhoons that pass through?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Dried nuts and fruits wouldn't last a day if I know where they are stored, so I might give this task to Bas, he can hide the emergency kit.

:D
  • Gorgeous day today.
    I took Clayton for a walk around the big park, was far too warm in a lightweight jacket, it's t shirt weather.
  • You can go off people...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blowing a hooligan here.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nowt to do with giving one of those Russian scrappers a gobble you understand, I'm on about how fucking windy it is today.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sun's out here.
  • 'Work from home!' my colleagues tell me. Yeah, well that would require getting a decision from my boss(es), so never mind yeah? Let this 4 hr round train trip commence! Doris has given me wet kecks.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Got to drive to Inverness today. It was nice knowing you all...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Got a job on Blackpool promenade today. Nearly got blown into to sea walking there. If it wasn't for my laptop bag weighing my down I'd be in Ireland now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!