SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Nina wrote:
    Is this where I can talk about earthquakes? Apparently there was one close by last night, Trabuco Canyon, where we usually go for Mexican food. Magnitude of 4.0, I didn't wake up, B did, told me "I think that was an earthquake, windows were rattling" and that was me robbed of any sweet dreams. People felt it all the way in San Diego and LA, feel for the people that wake up so easily. This is not the first time I slept through one, remember another one (heavier) when I was a kid, didn't wake up for that one either. I didn't know it had sound effects though, B told me he heard some low rumbling sounds and the news mentioned them too. No one hurt and no reported damages, so it's all fine. Still hope the Big One doesn't come when we're still here.

@Nina

Read this. That will tell you what you need to know.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

Apparently its the duration of a quake that's very helpful in determining how bad it is.

Thanks for that, think it's time to move.

(not really but it's actually scary if you think about it. Haven't read all of it yet as it doesn't fit on a mobile screen that well)
  • Yeah I wasnt posting about it to spark fear or not, but it is helpful to know when it is really serious I guess. Stock up the emergency kit (I assume you get bushfires around there?).

Although I wonder what the building codes are where you live? If it's quake-prone they might be built well, but if its not common then a smaller quake could be something to take more seriously. 

There's a quote in that article about a house that appeared to have moved off its foundations after a quake until the geologist mentions that it was actually the house remaining still and the ground beneath it moving a few feet instead.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think LA has some buildings that are on a movable foundation (like the one mentioned in the article, that it's basically build on wheels).

Not sure what the building codes are, but I don't trust the quality of the houses here, it's still mainly wood. They're building a lot in Orange County and I never see them use metal frames.
    I've seen the smoke from fires but none have been too close. We should get on that emergency kit sometime, B doesn't really believe in it but it doesn't hurt to have it.

I'm not sure how good they are here with building future proof houses. If you take the pacific coast highway, you'll see a couple of half houses standing on a cliff and the rest will be below it. And new houses built just a little bit behind the remains of the first one.

That's the thing that I still need to get used to. There are so many areas where you see the remains of fires or collapsed houses. No on cares to look after it, they just forget about it and build new things. There's so many building and rebuilding done here.
  • Interesting forecast for the coming week. S’gon be cold!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • It already is cold! I slept in a jumper and also socks last night.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    On a cold night, heating up the bed with a hair dryer and jumping in nude is one of life’s pleasures.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Hair apparently missed the invention of hot water bottles and electric blankets.
  • On a cold night, heating up the bed with a hair dryer and jumping in nude is one of life’s pleasures.

I'll see you and raise you having a cold shower on a 40C day with a beer in hand.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Should specify cold beer for our British friends.
  • Cold beer? Someone's posh!
  • As I’ve just found out this morning, might’ve been more to do with a broken/borked radiator in the bedroom... FFS

Edit: also, wife was in bed with The Boy who has a bit of a temp, so I was missing some body heat in the bed. :(
  • On a cold night, heating up the bed with a hair dryer and jumping in nude is one of life’s pleasures.

Lol, never heard that before. Sleep nude, yes but using a hair dryer. That's Lolz.

• I’ve used hairdryer before. But not slept nude.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hair's superpower is finding new uses for everyday objects.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    As I’ve just found out this morning, might’ve been more to do with a broken/borked radiator in the bedroom... FFS

Edit: also, wife was in bed with The Boy who has a bit of a temp, so I was missing some body heat in the bed. :(

Don’t you have, like, 20 children? You should have grabbed a few of them and arranged them around yourself for maximum warmth.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Hair apparently missed the invention of hot water bottles and electric blankets.

Ah, they have a place but for me it’s the immediacy of a one minute blast that delivers.

Three steps to heaven...

1.  Set to max heat and blow.
    2.  Leave the duvet ON to trap the warm.
    3.  Keep the dryer moving under the covers with the air intake poking out.

Strip before you do this as you’ll be cold and the pleasure will be greater.  Undies optional.

Brownie points can be earned if you do this for another...

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The heat dissipates after a few minutes and an ambient state is reached.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    As I’ve just found out this morning, might’ve been more to do with a broken/borked radiator in the bedroom... FFS Edit: also, wife was in bed with The Boy who has a bit of a temp, so I was missing some body heat in the bed. :(
    Don’t you have, like, 20 children? You should have grabbed a few of them and arranged them around yourself for maximum warmth.

Dude! I have 2! Appreciate that’s probably like 20 to you hehe:)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Have some more, use them for warmth.
  • Hair apparently missed the invention of hot water bottles and electric blankets.
    Ah, they have a place but for me it’s the immediacy of a one minute blast that delivers. Three steps to heaven... 1. Set to max heat and blow. 2. Leave the duvet ON to trap the warm. 3. Keep the dryer moving under the covers with the air intake poking out. Strip before you do this as you’ll be cold and the pleasure will be greater. Undies optional. Brownie points can be earned if you do this for another...

Dutch oven is quicker.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When single Wifey warmed her bed with a portable fan heater.

Woke up one morning after a night on the drink with the pattern of its grill burned into her leg and a large portion of the duvet scorched.

A miracle she wasn't burned to death.

Also a minor miracle of aromatherapy via a friend prevented any scarring.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wifey also managed to set her hair on fire one time - was the result of a chemical reaction arising from several different hair dyes and products applied by herself in 1 day.

Thought the hissing sound was the rain outside until she saw smoke coming off her head in the mirror.

Fucking muppet.
  • That’s amazing. Natural blonde, is she?

Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

As long as the collars and cuffs match, I have no preferences.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    She was also dying her cuffs?
  • I’m supposed to be traveling down to Manc for a meeting tomorrow - knowing my luck I’ll get stranded (if I even get there) due to the forecast snowmaggedon.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Wrap up well. I was working in Manc last Fri/Sat and it was unbelievably baltic.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That sentence can be used any week of the year.
  • Heating has busted at work so all day we have to huddle around a tiny portable heater to ensure I hands keep working. Bullshit. Winter over please.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!