The hills have eyes. And lunatics in walking gear...
  • Do you have to be careful with ticks and so in that landscape Jaco?

Not at this time of year. But spring – early autumn is high tick season in the lowlands and high gras areas. Just wearing proper hiking gear (long socks, long trousers, long sleeves) helps. Only had a tick attach itself to me once in 20 years of hill-walking.

The thing that's most likely to kill/injure you is the weather and beong unprepared. Amazing how many people die or get seriously injured on the fells here because they think walking up a massive hill in late autumn with no map, decent coat or local knowledge is a good idea...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Come to Scotland, Jim.  We have proper hills. 

Hv3HDB8.jpg
  • Ooh, that's decent! I'd have to wear my crampons and everything. Which hill/mountain is it?

We've got some proper mountains here too – just depends which face you tackle. Helvellyn, Striding Edge, Skiddaw and Scafell Pike are proper challenges in the right weather and on the right route.
  • It's Suilven, in Sutherland.  Beautiful part of the country.  Not my picture by the way.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Suilven features prominently in the slightly rubbish film Edie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3823098/
  • Unlikely wrote:
    It's Suilven, in Sutherland.  Beautiful part of the country.  Not my picture by the way.

I may well have to go and conquer that sucker.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That mountain shot is proper LoTR stuff. Amazing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Best bit about walking in Scotland is the isolation. You can die here no problem and nobody would know. When I moved up here I remember in the news a fighter jet was doing under-radar flying and it had gone missing, and although presumed crashed nobody knew exactly where it had gone down. Some guy out walking found the wreckage a few days later. I suppose satellites are better now but still.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK wrote:
    That mountain shot is proper LoTR stuff. Amazing.

Taken by a photographer called Colin Prior.  His stuff is all over the calendars and postcards around here. 

https://colinprior.co.uk/

That said, you don't have to be Colin Prior to get a good photo of Suilven.  It's magnificent.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Take a look at the mountain in the background of this still from Graders (one of the micro-budget features I worked on).

ania.jpg
  • Unlikely wrote:
    you don't have to be Colin Prior to get a good photo of Suilven.  It's magnificent.

Have you done it? How difficult/long is the hike?
  • No, I've never climbed it.  You start from Lochinver and have to hike around eight miles to the foot of it I believe (that's based on a vague memory of something my mum told me around 25 years ago while we were there so may or may not be remotely correct).
  • Thanks, Unlikely. 20Km, eh? That's a decent hike. Proper full day of walking that. Will plan that in for early spring, I think...
  • Went here a few weeks ago. I've not really been out discovering near where I live, but I try and pop out each weekend now.

zjGliMJ.jpg
    zVVGOOH.jpg
    K1McUAi.jpg
  • That looks fab, Hyde. Where are you?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It says Gran Canaria on the top of the post there, but I'm not convinced the bottom image isn't from somewhere within Jurassic Park.
  • Aye, it's Gran Canaria. The south of the island (where all the tourists go) has a lot of sunshine and the landscape is dry and quite barren. Go inland a little bit and more northern and the climate and landscape changes a fair bit. It´s also been quite rainy here recently, so it´s unusually green.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Well I think we aren't actually following a trail here.

CMlAhXB.jpg

Had 4 days of rain so there was quite a bit of water in the river, must have missed the trail at some point. Didn't help that after rain there's often a chance of loose rocks falling down so we had to climb over those as well. There might have been a lot of cursing and almost crying from my side. I was just getting so tired and my mind kept imagining snakes between the rocks.

Found the trail again later when we couldn't go any further. Saw the waterfall at the end (there usually isn't one). Never want to do this again.
  • That looks fab, Nina. Bravery rewarded with beauty. Thanks for sharing.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah there were some pretty views, but not sure if I'll do something like that again. One of us could have easily fallen, there's no phone reception, and since there's a government shutdown there are no rangers around (you have to fill in your name at the start of the trail, but if no one is checking than that's not much use). Let's not talk about the insurance situation (we are insured but it'll never be as good as in the EU).

rniH3JD.jpg
    Took the easy way back to the car though, was pretty tired by then and the sun started to set. Think B said we walked about 16km in the end.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Not technically hiking but we tried that once and this is not a fun trail to walk. Miles and miles going up and not much shade.

kUNQ07K.jpg

But look at the view! From Santiago Peak to the Ocean.
    7Tgi2n0.jpg

Jeepin is a lot of fun.
  • What a view, great pics Nina.
  • Beautiful. Great shots, Nina. Whilst you’re out there Nina you should do the Pacific North West Trail. That should only take you about 2 and a half months and so, once you’ve done that, you can nip on a plane to the east coast and thru hike the AT. You’ll have em both wiped off by this time next year.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Looks like you could continue the Pacific North West all the way to the East Coast. No need for planes. I'd need to do the Pacific Crest first though, that goes from San Diego all the way up the the Canada border.
    If I hadn't talked myself into an irrational fear of mountain lions, I definitely would do that.
    nick_md wrote:
    What a view, great pics Nina.
    If it wasn't for things like this I don't think I'd enjoy America as much tbh.

Here's yesterday's views, took the Jeep into the desert.

L41hJB5.jpg

DR9z3lB.jpg

Last one is in Coyote Canyon, where we got stuck 3 times when we decided to drive in there with the Chevrolet Cruze about a year and half ago. First time it was a mom with a 4x4 suv that helped us out (and all the kids that she stuffed into that car helped too), then it was a group of teenagers with kitted out trucks and buggies that helped us out, last time we got stuck we had some people help us with no luck, so we called the only local telephone number we had (a hospital) and asked if she could help us with a towing service. Had a guy show up in a complete Call of Duty stickerd truck. Limited Edition.

So we had to go back with the Jeep. To validate that choice. And we couldn't find the spot again. Assuming there were flashfloods as it looked like the path was changed. Ah well.
  • Amazing pics Nina. It's like another world.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!