GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Ok good work she has stopped her habit of never smoking

She really should continue her habit of never smoking, not stop.
  • Best advice I ever got was from my old man, he said “everyone’s gonna tell you what works for them and what they did, everyone’s gonna give you advice.
    Know that it’s all coming from a good place and they mean well but ultimately ignore the lot of em and just do whatever gets you all through the day. You’ll make the right decisions for your family and if you don’t, you’ll learn from them and make it right.
    You’ll know what to do. “
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Best advice I ever got was from my old man, he said “everyone’s gonna tell you what works for them and what they did, everyone’s gonna give you advice.
    Know that it’s all coming from a good place and they mean well but ultimately ignore the lot of em and just do whatever gets you all through the day. You’ll make the right decisions for your family and if you don’t, you’ll learn from them and make it right.
    You’ll know what to do. “

This doesn’t apply to the smoking thing.
  • Congratulations Reg!

Of course, not having kids myself, I can't really offer much advice. I think the first year or so mainly consists of poo, sick and wee, from what I've heard.

But anyway. You will be an awesome dad.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Actually. One bit of advice: Do not let them watch Jaws at age 6/7, it messes you up for life. NO DAD I WON'T GET IN THE SWIMMING POOL LEAVE ME ALONE.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Well no, but neither one of us smoke so it didn’t come up
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Great news, well done both of you. The kids thread on here is one of the nicest pockets of the internet. I've had help/advice from people on here in the past that I massively appreciated, even if it seemed minor at the time (cheers Rev).
  • Reg, both of you go to bed immediately and don't wake up until she goes into labour.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Super news! Congratulations to you both! :)

*thread moved to off-topic*

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • But this is absolutely a game G, where we all crowd control Papa H
  • Moisturise the perineum.
  • Change your pants first.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Congrats Reg. As Lou Reed sang It's the beginning of a great adventure...
    Lots of people talk about sleepless nights and crying etc but you could be lucky. Our pregnancy was really easy, there was no morning sickness, no varicose veins, nothing worse than tiredness from lugging a sprog around inside you all day, which is understandable. The first 7 months, until now have been so easy. The baby has never been much into crying and has slept and eaten just as he should. For the first three months he needed to be fed during the night but he never screamed or roared, he just woke up and ate and went back to sleep. Even now he seems very pragmatic and will squeal a bit if he has a good reason but otherwise is happy to eat, sleep and be entertained. People tell us we're lucky but maybe it's just everyone else who is unlucky.
  • The story of how I found out was lol.

But of course, huge congrats to papa h daddy and F.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thank you all. Lovely people here
  • Congrats dude!!! No advice can fully prepare you, but enjoy the ride and enjoy sleeping while you can!
  • Congratulations :) remember every pregnancy and baby is different, what works for others may not be right for you. Trust your instincts
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Congrats dude.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Kow wrote:
    Congrats Reg. As Lou Reed sang It's the beginning of a great adventure... Lots of people talk about sleepless nights and crying etc but you could be lucky. Our pregnancy was really easy, there was no morning sickness, no varicose veins, nothing worse than tiredness from lugging a sprog around inside you all day, which is understandable. The first 7 months, until now have been so easy. The baby has never been much into crying and has slept and eaten just as he should. For the first three months he needed to be fed during the night but he never screamed or roared, he just woke up and ate and went back to sleep. Even now he seems very pragmatic and will squeal a bit if he has a good reason but otherwise is happy to eat, sleep and be entertained. People tell us we're lucky but maybe it's just everyone else who is unlucky.

While I'm genuinely glad for you it's quite possible for the whole experience to be very different.  Biggest mistake I made was not being prepared for that.  Having said that, I'm not sure I could have, because there's no way that anyone can really understand what's about to happen, regardless of how many books they read or anecdotes they listen to. 

Wookie's spot on up there.  Listen to all the advice you're given and then file under "probably won't apply to us".  I have a feeling I've written something similar before.
  • Congratulations!

Get a second-hand pram.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    In the hospital there was a couple in the unit next to us (it was special a special observation place) and their baby cried and cried and screamed without stopping. As soon as his/her eyes opened it was roaring time. When I one day casually asked the nurse if it was normal that ours didn't cry at all, I thought the veins on the forehead of the guy next to us might rupture.
  • krs wrote:
    Moisturise the perineum.

And massage it, too.  Never too early to limber up.  

Congratulations!
  • Grats, Reg, big man ting now.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Congratulations!

Get a second-hand pram.
    This.
    Do not spend thousands on stuff you’re only gonna use for a brief period of time then have to sell on. Buy second hand for most things except for the car seat. You’ll save a fortune.
    The kid doesn’t care if the pram is second hand!
  • For example the pram Hayley wanted was nearly £1000 new. We paid £350 second hand for it. We still have it and it’s in excellent condition
  • Mikemsp wrote:
    If you have any games you want to play, get them all in, play all the games now. As, for at least 6 months you will have no time and little desire thyo play them. Hold off watching shite on Netflix as that is all you will be arsed to do while the baby is sleeping in the day.

This

this
  • Massive congratulations Reg!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Congratulations Reg - wonderful news.

As for advice - the best advice is to be wary of advice.  Every child is different, every parent is different - and whatever approach you take has to be one that you’re comfortable with.  There is nothing worse than trying to parent to someone else’s standards.  (Within reason, obviously.). The same applies to baby books etc (Gina Ford is the worst).  

As long as you love them, which you will, you’re doing it right.

Before baby comes though...  Do stuff.  You’re life is going to change.  Everyone says that, and you’ll nod, and go “yeah, yeah, obviously, I know...”. You don’t.  You have no idea, because no-one ever does.  You only have a short time left as Not A Dad Reg, so do all the stuff you think sounds cool, but isn’t child friendly now, because Dad Reg probably won’t have the time or the inclination.  He’ll be a different guy.  Go to gigs, movies, eat out, whatever you enjoy.  Give NotADadReg a good send off, before he regenerates into the new version.  Make sure you spend loads of time with Mrs Reg too - make her feel special and loved (I’m sure she is both - but she needs to know it).

And again, congratulations.  Being a Dad is the hardest, most rewarding, most wonderful thing that ever happened to me, and I hope it’s even better for you.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!