Movie Record: 2019 Edition!!
  • One of my workmates travels a lot and therefore he downloads a lot of films to watch on flights. Sadly he has the worst taste. So the last two movies he left on our server at work were the Tomb Raider reboot and Aquaman. I have lost all respect for this guy.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    17. Aquaman - Oh that was bad, like bad bad. Story? Casting? CGI? Alllllll baddddddd. 5/10

Just because I'm interested in people's own scoring systems, was there some redeeming stuff that got you to 5? I often wonder what folks use as a reference point for a really shit film. Like what would be a 2/10 for you?

One of mine is No Retreat, No Surrender. I loved it as a kid but watched it as an adult and it is pretty terrible on almost every metric - script, acting, sets. I couldn't even watch all of it, just skipped to the final fight scene which I think held up ok thanks to a young JCVD.
  • Journeyman. An emotional thump to the breadbasket. I was on the ropes midway. [8].
  • Cosby wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    17. Aquaman - Oh that was bad, like bad bad. Story? Casting? CGI? Alllllll baddddddd. 5/10

Just because I'm interested in people's own scoring systems, was there some redeeming stuff that got you to 5? I often wonder what folks use as a reference point for a really shit film. Like what would be a 2/10 for you?

One of mine is No Retreat, No Surrender. I loved it as a kid but watched it as an adult and it is pretty terrible on almost every metric - script, acting, sets. I couldn't even watch all of it, just skipped to the final fight scene which I think held up ok thanks to a young JCVD.

Well, I see 5 as watchable, any lower and it has to be insulting or degrading in some manner. A 5 I’ll watch to the end, particularly if I can have fun with it and Aquaman did have me laughing and having fun. From 5 upwards and down its steep in terms of pleasure or pain.

A 2/10, hmm, I’ll have to think about it as I tend to stick away from things that I know will irritate or upset me that much.

My wife and I as-well as her sister and her fiancé have a film club where we watch a film picked by one of us each week so we experience other people’s tastes then have an Quasi Oscars at the end of the year for them. Through that I had to watch ‘Special Correspondents’ with Ricky Gervais, I found that absolutely god awful and gave it a 3. But the 3 could almost be aimed at the person for having me watching something so offensive to my brain. The fact that ever got released is a sin, amateur theatre on the Isle of Man is better.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Just because I'm interested in people's own scoring systems, was there some redeeming stuff that got you to 5? I often wonder what folks use as a reference point for a really shit film. Like what would be a 2/10 for you? One of mine is No Retreat, No Surrender. I loved it as a kid but watched it as an adult and it is pretty terrible on almost every metric - script, acting, sets. I couldn't even watch all of it, just skipped to the final fight scene which I think held up ok thanks to a young JCVD.
    Well, I see 5 as watchable, any lower and it has to be insulting or degrading in some manner. A 5 I’ll watch to the end, particularly if I can have fun with it and Aquaman did have me laughing and having fun. From 5 upwards and down its steep in terms of pleasure or pain.

That sounds about right.

I gave Aquaman a 6. It's essentially a 5, but earned an extra point from the following eye-catching imagery.
    Spoiler:
  • Possibly the worst film I've ever seen is Green Lantern. It gets 1 point for Ryan Reynolds, and another point for the sound and picture being in sync.
  • Green Lantern was very bad. But was it GI Joe bad?
  • Escape Room.

Ahaha. 2/10.
  • Green Lantern and GI Joe are the two worst films I've ever seen.
  • The GI Joe sequel was hilarious. I bought it cheap on dvd and ripped it to my iPad to watch on a long flight. Combination of lack of sleep and RED WINE meant it was quite some time before I realised the copy-protection on the film meant that it was showing every chapter of the film in a random order.

it did seem a bit odd

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Cosby wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Just because I'm interested in people's own scoring systems, was there some redeeming stuff that got you to 5? I often wonder what folks use as a reference point for a really shit film. Like what would be a 2/10 for you? One of mine is No Retreat, No Surrender. I loved it as a kid but watched it as an adult and it is pretty terrible on almost every metric - script, acting, sets. I couldn't even watch all of it, just skipped to the final fight scene which I think held up ok thanks to a young JCVD.

That sounds about right.

I gave Aquaman a 6. It's essentially a 5, but earned an extra point from the following eye-catching imagery.
    Spoiler:

Some of the scene building was amazing, absolutely stunning.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Well, I see 5 as watchable, any lower and it has to be insulting or degrading in some manner. A 5 I’ll watch to the end, particularly if I can have fun with it and Aquaman did have me laughing and having fun. From 5 upwards and down its steep in terms of pleasure or pain. A 2/10, hmm, I’ll have to think about it as I tend to stick away from things that I know will irritate or upset me that much. My wife and I as-well as her sister and her fiancé have a film club where we watch a film picked by one of us each week so we experience other people’s tastes then have an Quasi Oscars at the end of the year for them. Through that I had to watch ‘Special Correspondents’ with Ricky Gervais, I found that absolutely god awful and gave it a 3. But the 3 could almost be aimed at the person for having me watching something so offensive to my brain. The fact that ever got released is a sin, amateur theatre on the Isle of Man is better.

Yeah, pretty much with you on that. There was a time I’d try to watch almost everything but I skip stuff that I’m sure will be annoying now. Much rather spend the time on a more enjoyable experience. I’ll occasionally watch some trash just to reset the scale though.

Also with you on Special Correspondents. Dreadful film.
  • g.man wrote:
    The GI Joe sequel was hilarious. I bought it cheap on dvd and ripped it to my iPad to watch on a long flight. Combination of lack of sleep and RED WINE meant it was quite some time before I realised the copy-protection on the film meant that it was showing every chapter of the film in a random order.

it did seem a bit odd

g.man

Hahaha!
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 18. Avengers Age of Ultron - Hasn't aged. Just awesome, could have a Marvel day and be happy. 9/10
  • I thought it was better on second viewing. Wasn’t too keen first time round.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    A film came up in conversation the other week, made a point of watching it last night for the first time in at least 25 years, very glad I did

Wild Geese - Burton, Harris, Moore as mercenaries, Africa, 70s, wow. Bloody brilliant [11]

When being offered the contract at the start Burton states his terms which include "I want my liver buried separately with full honours". What a bunch of legends
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Mary Poppins (original) watched it with daughter who has MP buzz. Not what I expected. (7)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Verecocha wrote:
    18. Avengers Age of Ultron - Hasn't aged. Just awesome, could have a Marvel day and be happy. 9/10

It has some of the best Marvel character moments so far. It's a shame it got fiddled with by the studio though.
  • Is that one worth a watch then? I've started it twice and switched it off twice, thought the other two were great but couldn't get on with the second film.
  • I enjoyed it at the time but attempting a rewatch it just felt like an embarrassing fanboy mess. Only works if you’re into the whole series/universe.
  • I'll wait for the next one then.  Infinity War and Ragnarok pulled me right back into the superhero thing, both cracking fun.
  • Its definitely far too long. It feels like it should be finished, then carries on for another half hour.

I might have a watch again and see what could have been scrubbed.
  • Age of Ultron and Civil War were where Marvel lost me. Doc Strange and Ragnarok brought me back.
  • I haven't seen Dr Strange yet, keep meaning to give it a go.
  • Civil War was good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Civil War was ok.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Another thread claimed by the nefarious grasp of the geek movies
  • Another thread [on a geek forum] claimed by the nefarious grasp of the geek movies.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!