Things that make you go oooooooo aka These are a few of my favourite things
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My first experience of Escher was a few examples of his work in a little booklet of mathematical oddities my uncle got from Readers' Digest when he bought a few series of their books. Belvedere is probably my favourite piece of his.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oddities-Pictures-Figures-Readers-Digest/dp/0276000838

This little book also introduced me to the Tangram - another great little thing that should be on my list. :)

Love animals too - just like looking at them and being near to them gives me pleasure and never fails to make me smile.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Some great stories in there, apart from the usual ones, long forgotten now probably.

Shako was the polar bear one - I liked that. Liked Invasion too. The first Flesh series was great - surprised someone hasn't tried a film version of that post Jurassic Park.

I also liked the first run of the Harlem Heroes and Mach 1.

Pretty much liked it all really. The only duff series they had was one called Rick Random which was a bore-fest.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Stainless Steel Rat and Ace Trucking. Always liked Bellardinelli's mad art style.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Although the Steel Rat was probably Ezquerra now that I think of it. Loved the books too.
  • Andy wrote:
    The films of Mel Gibson I know that Mel the man is problematic, and I know he’s not the best actor (although I would say many are unfair in their criticism of his acting ability) but he just utterly engages me when he’s on the screen, and it’s rare for me to dislike a film he’s in.

With you here mate. Ignoring the issues with his real-life persona, he's very watchable. Some of my favourite films star him – Lethal Weapon, Maverick, Braveheart, Ransom, Payback, Mad Max etc. I think (as an actor) he's great.
    Andy wrote:
    Green Day I know some people will snort at this, but I don’t care. Like so many people, the first I knew of them was Basket Case, and I got hooked. They became probably my third musical obsession (Queen, then R.E.M., if you were wondering) and the group from my youth that I probably listen to most often now. While I’m never likely to get the sleeve I mentioned above, I’m very likely to get, “There’s nothing wrong with me, this is how I’m supposed to be,” tattooed on me at some point.

Also this. I love Green Day. Got in to them about the same time as you (Dookie is a cracking album, definitely their best), and love pretty much everything they've done. Kerplunk! and Nimrod are on my permanent 'best of' playlist.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yeah - the Rat was Ezquerra. I like his art in patches. Bellardinelli and Bolland were favourites of mine.

Robo Hunter was another good un. Just remembered Wolfie Smith too.

And when it merged with Starlord it picked up some crackers like Strontium Dog and Robusters (ABC Warriors was a spin off from that). Blackhawk was a good un which was picked up when a comic called Tornado folded.

Meltdown Man and Return to Armageddon were two excellent one-offs.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah, the good old days of going down to the newsagent to pick up my reserved issue, with my name written on it - probably a collector's nightmare.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    You just made me smile.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Ah, the good old days of going down to the newsagent to pick up my reserved issue, with my name written on it - probably a collector's nightmare.

Yup. And the horror of the odd time it hadn't arrived....
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Green Day
    I know some people will snort at this, but I don’t care. Like so many people, the first I knew of them was Basket Case, and I got hooked. They became probably my third musical obsession (Queen, then R.E.M., if you were wondering) and the group from my youth that I probably listen to most often now. While I’m never likely to get the sleeve I mentioned above, I’m very likely to get, “There’s nothing wrong with me, this is how I’m supposed to be,” tattooed on me at some point.

Absolute bollocks to music snobbery, for every hundred kids who pick up a Green Day album, a few might then grab Descendents, Ramones, Fugazi, whoever? Everyone needs a starting point, as for the music being poppy or accessible what's wrong with that? I love The Jam, it's easy to forget that there first 6 or 7 singles all went straight to number one, and that was a lot harder back then. Top band, I don't listen to as much as I used to and I feel stupid for that, and releasing an album with several songs about wankng and smoking when we were teenagers was genius
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The films of Gibbo are worth a watch too.  Braveheart is stupidly enjoyable, but imo Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto are both genuinely excellent.  Whisper it, but I'm not against the idea of him having a crack at The Wild Bunch.
  • Apocalypo is class. Get the Gringo is definitely worth a watch too if you haven't seen it.
  • You just made me smile.

Me too.  Nostalgiatastic.
  • Sort of Cocko, was the Jam’s later singles and three went straight in at no.1 (4 no.1s in total I think). Still staggering though, and all by the time Paul Weller was 24.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Green Day
    I know some people will snort at this, but I don’t care. Like so many people, the first I knew of them was Basket Case, and I got hooked. They became probably my third musical obsession (Queen, then R.E.M., if you were wondering) and the group from my youth that I probably listen to most often now. While I’m never likely to get the sleeve I mentioned above, I’m very likely to get, “There’s nothing wrong with me, this is how I’m supposed to be,” tattooed on me at some point.

Absolute bollocks to music snobbery, for every hundred kids who pick up a Green Day album, a few might then grab Descendents, Ramones, Fugazi, whoever? Everyone needs a starting point, as for the music being poppy or accessible what's wrong with that? I love The Jam, it's easy to forget that there first 6 or 7 singles all went straight to number one, and that was a lot harder back then. Top band, I don't listen to as much as I used to and I feel stupid for that, and releasing an album with several songs about wankng and smoking when we were teenagers was genius

100% on with this. When my dad learned that 13 year old me was into Blink / Offspring / Green Day et Al, he let me take his clash and jam albums and as a result I then got into sham 69, the damned and misfits. That was sure formative for me.

Never got into Sex Pistols tho
  • JMW wrote:
    Sort of Cocko, was the Jam’s later singles and three went straight in at no.1 (4 no.1s in total I think). Still staggering though, and all by the time Paul Weller was 24.

And Weller has never done anything even close to as good since.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    INCORRECT
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    NON CORRECT
  • THE SEX PISTOLS WERE SHITE.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I don't why I'm shouting that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yes the sex pistols are shite and were bandwagon jumpers and therefore the Menswear of punk.

Goodbye
  • I don't why I'm shouting that.

It it because shouting is punk?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Paul Weller should never be forgiven.

Dp_mv2wW4AURM7i.jpg
  • Drunk you say? I suppose they might have been.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The Sex Pistols are the reason alot of my favourite bands started, so I'll give them that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yes the sex pistols are shite and were bandwagon jumpers and therefore the Menswear of punk.

Goodbye

Weird how many bands formed after being inspired by them.
  • The first one looks like a hobbit Roy Hattersley.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But yes, the Pistols are 100% in my favourite things.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!