Badger Approved Same Room Multiplayer
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm ignoring the obvious champs such as Bomberman, Streetfighter, Monkey Ball, Mario/Sonic Kart, Micro Machines and co.

Scrolling fighters and run-n-guns are another obvious laugh - there's a pile of 'em  - Knights of the Round, Dungeons & Dragons, Contra, Metal Slug et al.

Battletoads on SNES was a good laugh.  It was a bit easier than the painful NES original but still a challenge - that's a series that needs a reboot.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I had a lot of fun with A Way Out online.  It's a fairly poor game but an excellent co-op experience - would've been far less enjoyable if whole thing was more refined, the wonky gusto approach elevated the campaign massively.  It's so bad in places it ends up being perfect.  All the tropes; play it and you wouldn't settle for anything less.  Trust meee.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What's the opinion on accessible versus fighting games then? They seem terribly hardcore though they look wonderful.

I've picked up Ultra SFIV and Ultimate Marvel v Capcom 3 but haven't spent any time with them - my daughters had a few laughs going through the characters in SF IV and discovering some cheap moves  :)
  • despite the light show that it looks like, DBZF is pretty accessible, as is the latest soul caliburing. by that i mean you can do quite fancy looking stuff with simple buttons.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.  I tried Ultimate MvC3 last night and I hadn't a clue what was going on!!  :)
  • i wouldn't put that on the accessible list tbh
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was going complete in CEX for £8 so I took a punt...
  • Had a games night last night with five mates.

First up is Mario Chase which is now a bit of a games night staple. It's very tense and always goes down well, just a shame that there aren't more arenas. 5 player games on the Wii U is a great feature it's unfortunate not more games took advantage.

Goldeneye next. Spend about 20 minutes working out every ones favourite controller set up (solitaire) then realise that for mates who have never played it before the mental recalibration needed to work around one analogue stick is too off-putting.Had some decent games in the end, graphically I thought it would be worse to be honest, still functional. Soundtrack is awesome.

Micromachines 64 next. Terrible interface and tracks are too complex for 4 player especially the ones with narrow rulers!. Overall not worth the effort.

Virtual tennis 2: Always amazing great fun, massively accessible and still looks decent!

Overcooked: Trialled this one and seemed to go down well nice to see a co-op game that's not a shooter

Speedrunners: Played this at previous meet ups. Last night seemed buggy though as players avatars kept swapping over mid game. Is this usual?

Rocket League: Excellent as always

Topspin: Highlight of the night. Immediacy of Virtual Tennis with a nice level of tactical depth. Add to that the risk shot mechanic great graphics and friends of similar ability lead to some incredible 4 player match ups. Can't recommend this enough.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • My highlights:

Halo 3 split screen. Or Halo 2, but I prefer 3.

Bomberman (SNES or MD)

Micro Machines v2 or whatever it was that I played on MD
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    3 on 3 NHL Arcade (360), Broforce, Knight Squad, Runbow, Spelunky...
  • I always fancied Death Tank on Saturn, or eventually XBLA etc.  I reckon that could've fared pretty back when heavy drinking and regular same room mp sessions were a weekly thing.  I'll never know if it would've challenged the holy trinity of Worms Armageddon, Tony Hawks HORSE mode and Monkey Target though.  

More recently we used to do yearly Pro Evo tournaments, usually 10-12 players.  Three wins from four finals in five years, I must've made over £250 on it.  Moaning at me for swapping out my dud players for the red arrows and fiddling with my formation are you?  You've lost in the tunnel m8.  Strong suits: wing play, not wasting shots, interception anticipation.  Weakness: clearing my lines too quickly, itchy triangle finger.  KEEPAAAAA.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    @Eric Out of interest, are you playing Goldeneye, Virtua Tennis, etc on the original consoles or using emulation?
  • All original consoles via a AV receiver into a projector Cosby
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Hell of a set up. I know what my ultimate goal is now anyway :)
  • It does look a bit messy to be honest but this was it a few years ago:
    http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/242/show-us-where-you-play-games/p30

I now have a projector screen of sorts (an IKEA blackout blind)
  • for local multi chaos fun, i'd strongly recommend 'stick fight game'. very simple too so even younger kids can join in, as well as adults that aren't really gamers.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I have never heard of that before but it looks quality. Switch and PC only?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cracked through several titles in the Capcom Beat ‘Em Up Bundle last night. Great fun, and interesting to see these titles progress over the years. 7 games in total, we got through 3 of them (The King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Warriors of Fate which account for the 3rd-5th titles chronologically) and, of the three, there is only TKoD that I would probably suggest you skip. I can’t quite believe that one came out two years after Final Fight.

Most of the games offer at least a 3 player mode too, with only Final Fight topping out at 2 and Captain Commando and Battle Circuit offer 4 player. I’d absolutely recommend this compilation for same room fun.
  • The Trials Rising tandem bike is a hoot in two player. I assumed that mode would be tacked on, like the ridiculous co-op mode in Trackmania Turbo, but it works perfectly.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Had some good Speedrunners fun last night and also tried out a new multiplayer game that I bought on Xbone recently: Inversus. It is vaguely similar to Geometry Wars and involves piloting a light or dark block which can navigate dark or light areas of an arena respectively. Your block can fire a beam that will turn parts of the arena into the shade which your block can navigate - if an opponent is in part of the arena that changes shade, it is destroyed. The aim is to shoot down enemies in co-op (two player) or shoot down opponents in versus mode (up to four players but only limited to two teams). It is quite frantic and difficult to keep track of everything that is going on at times, but quite good fun if somewhat limited.
  • Website set up for exactly this. Great filter in the menu for co-op or couch multiplayer games on every system

https://www.co-optimus.com/games.php?type=couch

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!