The No Subject Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cooking holds no fears for me. Rarely have takeaway. Wifey usually cooks fresh but I can do it too though I am working on expanding my repertiore. The web is chock full of recipes and it doesn't always have to be expensive. If you follow instructions accurately you will get a good result. Cooked up a chicken curry from scratch from first time last week ('tis quite easy actually). The jars and packets are salt and sugar fests - and it just isn't the same.

It's the sugar addiction which is my downfall.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yar, me too. I love cooking but have a mouthful of sweet teeth. If there's sugar in it I'll have 3 of it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Cooking fresh food will surely work out cheaper than takeaways all the time? And a lot of stuff like stews is throw it all in the pot and forget about it till it's done, so it's not a lot of work. Unless you're doing really fancy stuff then most cooking isn't that much of an investment of either time or effort.

I know it looked like I had them a lot but in general it was one £10 take every two weeks and the odd £4 chippy.

Just gonna look at it as a new hobby, I always go deep on stuff when I think of it like that.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah, you'll be uploading fancy photos of your latest French dish in no time at all.
  • My best cooking tip is to stick some music on, goodfellas soundtrack maybe, and treat it as a thing to enjoy. Helps to have a significant other so it become 'me time' with a glass of wine. Seriously tho, music helps.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just checked out ASDA online. Genuinely blown my mind that what I was spending on processed shit I can get all fresh for like 30-40p more per item. Extra 4-5 quid, max.

Normally spent 20-30 quid, so 25-35 ain't no thing now I'm off alcohol/weed for a while.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Buy nice olive oil and a decent balsamic vinegar. Salad becomes the best thing ever.
  • Buy some saffron and truffle salt.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Let's not get carried away.
  • Get some edible gold leaf, trust me, it makes nuggets really transcend.
  • (sorry ds, am trolling hard, stick to it lad, yall be alreet)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Never say sorry for trolling, its my entire get-up.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Helps to have a significant other so it become 'me time' with a glass of wine.

For me, cooking for two made it worth the effort. I don't get much real enjoyment out of cooking for myself.

Part of my issue is that I need a bigger freezer, so I can properly cook in batches. It used to be that buying for one was expensive, these days it's almost impossible. Everything is sold in quantity. Without the ability to freeze, buying fresh for one results in a lot of waste.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Meal planning is the way to save money. Specify a set of meals over a 2 week period and only buy what you need. Starting to cook sometimes involves buying stuff to get you started but is used gradually as long as you get serious. That's what puts a lot of people off. A planned menu is the way to go.
  • Andy wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Helps to have a significant other so it become 'me time' with a glass of wine.

For me, cooking for two made it worth the effort. I don't get much real enjoyment out of cooking for myself.

Part of my issue is that I need a bigger freezer, so I can properly cook in batches. It used to be that buying for one was expensive, these days it's almost impossible. Everything is sold in quantity. Without the ability to freeze, buying fresh for one results in a lot of waste.

This is very true; I thought my missus was an amazing cook (and she is) until she said she only cooks now because she has someone to cook for.
  • I find it hard to plan meals because my wife's a veggie and I like at least most of my meals to contain meat.  She can't cook either, so I often make two different evening meals (one healthier effort for my daughter at 5ish, one not so healthy effort for me at 7ish) and leave her to do her own thing.  If we were all on the same page we'd save loads every month.  I'm also terrible with leftovers - if I make too much I'll still get through it before bed, so it won't make it anywhere near the freezer.  I dread to think what they'd say about it all on that budget programme.  We mainly shop in Lidl, which helps, but I eat an awful lot of meals involving frozen pies/fish and chips/waffles and frozen veg.  I like those frozen steambags for the veg.  I also order curry fairly regularly...
  • We have a rice cooker that we use all the time. It makes the best rice.

Yoss.......?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    i've eaten vegetarian meals in Indian restaurants just to try them and haven't missed meat. Best was a  chickpea curry. However it isn't something  that could be eaten every day - but a veg curry would be a start.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    We have a rice cooker that we use all the time. It makes the best rice.

Yoss.......?
    DS needs to learn a saucepan, he's already mastered crutches.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • Slow. Cooker.

Lamb shanks or brisket. Chunky veg. Stock or not. Lots of seasoning. Always yummy. Plus loads of food for a couple of days. Pull the meat apart and cook up with fresh veg for another day's meal. I like the the lamb with harissa on day 2
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Got myself a crockpot after we've moved (cooking is now my task, used to be B that did all the cooking. I'm mainly pointing out nice places to eat so far). Not sure if that does rice (google says yes but I haven't tried it yet) but it's easy for making chilli's, curries or just slow cooking meat. Chuck it all in and wait, you can even leave the house without being afraid of setting it on fire. A bigger one is easy for batch cooking as well. Or just use it to marinade meat (can be on the bone, it will fall of so easily and is so tasty) that you then use in a salad or put on a sandwich. Got the pot second hand, but it's almost brand new. Like with so many kitchen appliances, people buy it and hardly use it. Was $8,- for a 4-6 person one.

Need to follow up on that a bit more myself as well. As you I found it quite daunting to start with, so just went with 2-3 days cooking and preparing, but now I'll know the supermarkets a bit better and have realized how many different creams there are (half half, heavy, sour) and how expensive dairy is (and that there's no quark at all) I should get to the next step. Batch cooking and having week / menu's. Planning with going 5 days, and make sure I'll have in the freezer for the weekend. In case I want to eat out.

That slow cooker was the best thing I got so far though, thinking of getting a smaller one for cooking rice at the same time. As we only have one car I need to pick up B from work, and I don't fancy needing to do much after we get home (usually around 8pm)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Another thumbs up for the slow cooker - great for meats and stews and soups. If you like beans and lentils, you'll be in heaven. Perfect for during the week, I don't get home till late so I throw all the stuff in early in the day and come home to a great meal. I did traditional Madrid lentils today, with chorizo and black pudding. Turned out as good or better than any time I've done it without the slow pot, and was ready and waiting when I came in the door.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Darko, you will end up leaner, healthier, better skin, eyes that both oook in the same direction, you'll have more cash and be more regular.  You won't know yourself in a few months.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yo DS fancy coming out and getting rekt then sausage suppers for the troops
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Now that's just cruel.
  • I learned to cook when I was at uni, because my girlfriend was a veggie. Not even a proper veggie, but one of those who eats meat substitute in every meal. So it was fucking Quorn mince in bolognese, Quorn fillets instead of chicken or steak, and sodding weird pressed bean things instead of bacon. You can’t piss around with sauces etc if you’re using that processed fungus crap as the base of a meal. I learned a lot about how to build up actual flavour. When we broke up years later and I started cooking the same dishes with meat again everything tasted bloody amazing. So, er … thanks veggie girl. I think.
  • Can't stand quorn mince. My wife's stopped eating red meat and has bolognese with it. I make a separate one with meat, because I just can't eat that stuff.

Nothing against going veggie and would be happy to eat less meat (don't eat too much anyway), but that ain't the way.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It does offer a lot of protein which can otherwise be tricky in a veggie diet. You can't have eggs in everything (even if you do eat them).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!