The No Subject Thread
  • Not watching a Phillip de Franco vid, what's it about?
  • Prank Channel made by a family "pranks" a child by pouring ink over a bedroom floor and then calling one of the kids up and blaming them, calling him a little shit, a fucker, all that, screaming at him, then ending it by going "it's just a prank, bro."

People complained that it was nasty, unethical, then the prank channel responded with a video that flipped it on the criticizers.

Seems like the family frequently pick on one kid and Franco has concerns that it's abuse masking as "content".
  • OK, they are bigger twats then.
  • Now he's segued into a bit on Social Media facilitating weird crimes like the current Steve Stephenson manhunt, and criticism of rolling news for linking that to Video Games again because it detracts from the actual horror of the crime.

Then after all that sincerity he goes straight into his like, comment, subscribe shtick, robbing the video of a lot of its impact.
  • I saw one yesterday with a girl going up to random guys and stroking their beards. It was on a feminist channel as well with the caption "Hilarious".
    So it is OK to touch a man without consent but not a woman.
    Pretty much every guy in the video looked really uncomfortable.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

Is anyone making that argument?
  • Yeah they would be if some randomer is going up to them and grabbing their face.
  • The feminists are at it again with all their political and social work being undermined by a twat with a camera phone
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    aye fuck the feminins
  • Yossarian wrote:

I would assume a feminist site would have a problem if a man filmed himself touching women without consent yet found this particular video "hilarious".
    So yes. They are making that argument.

• Tempy wrote:
    The feminists are at it again with all their political and social work being undermined by a twat with a camera phone
    That particular site undermined itself by posting the video.
  • Matt_82 wrote:

The guy presenting is mildly irritating but, yes, that's straight up child abuse.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The feminists are at it again with all their political and social work being undermined by a twat with a camera phone

what site was it?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

I would assume [...] they are making that argument.

Okay then.
  • Oh fuck off, that is a fair assumption. Pedantic cunt.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

what site was it?

I can't remember. It was a few days back.
    Take my word for it or don't.

Fucking hell.
  • I'm just interested in what website it was is all. Not doubting your word or anything.
  • Apologies, just came across that way. Plus I'm having to deal with Yoss Yossing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Charming.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Matt_82 wrote:
    The guy presenting is mildly irritating but, yes, that's straight up child abuse.

Yeah, that's fucking horrendous!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Only reason I was interested is because there have been some fairly interesting turn around of a few sites in that sphere, Thought catalog for example used to be quite well regarded and then it (from memory) got swamped with TERF/transphobic stuff after it got bought out. The name still carries a progressive connotation with it despite that. 

If I were to try and justify the Beard Feely video, it would be from the stance that by showing that men don't like being touched even when it is by someone thought of as traditionally attractive, you are also showing that women shouldn't expect to take it either. That said, I just think it's a twat with a camera who isn't proving a point well at all, and is instead being a bit of a dick. 

I prefer the New York one where the woman retorts to the cat calls a bit more, as she's only responding the verbal invitation they've initiated.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    FWIW, my counter assumption would be this:

Not all feminists think the same things, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find more than a few individuals who take the position you express, but you could probably find plenty who think that either 1. touching always requires consent or 2. it's not a big deal, regardless of genders.

But I'm just being a cunt, apparently.
  • I was referring to the opinion of that site not feminists as a whole.

Maybe post your thoughts rather than trying to catch people out all the time. Perhaps if you don't like "Yossing" or being called a cunt think about how your posting comes across.
  • We're verging on a discussion we have at work. If a man were to cop a feel of a female cop, he shouldn't be surprised when he gets charged. On the other hand, women feel up male cops on a regular basis. I'm neither good looking nor in great shape, and still get my arse felt on a regular basis.

Why is it that the same sexual assault has different societal responses depending on the gender of the people involved?

Well, the main answer is that we are different and, with that, the intentions and the resultant response is different. If a male grabs a female cops arse, in general there is something fundamentally more predatory than that. In general men are stronger, better equipped to physically impose themselves, and more likely to. There's an undercurrent of "I'm touching you because I can, and I can touch you some more if I like." When a female grabs a male cop's arse, in general its with playful intent. There's an undercurrent of "I'm touching you while I can, and I can touch you some more if you like."

While I take the point that there is a degree of hypocrisy, touching beards is different. It's still not right, but I'd equate it to a wet finger in the ear rather than the generally more sexualised/predatory touching by males.
  • I probably should frame that by sexual preference rather than gender (I've found it equally unobjectionable to have my arse felt by gay men as I have straight women, given the circumstances and intent) but I'm sure you get what I mean.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You were making sweeping generalisations based on assumptions and then turning to personal insults when I pointed this out, and somehow you insulting me is my fault?
  • And, for the avoidance of doubt, I'm absolutely not saying that if I don't mind my arse being felt, neither should women. I'm sure you all understand that too, though.
  • Tempy wrote:
    That said, I just think it's a twat with a camera who isn't proving a point well at all, and is instead being a bit of a dick.

I had a quick Google and came across story about some model doing this which is I assume the same one, but the video doesn't work. There is a link to her Facebook page though for some reason.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!