The No Subject Thread
  • Do not wing it. It’s always without fail, awful. And in most modern weddings you’ll have had a drinks reception. Plus you’ll forget something. Write the whole thing out.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Wing it. Be a man. This one speech sets the tone for the rest of your married life. Your married life.

Say what you like. Toss back a few first. Speak from the heart.
  • ^ this is terrible advice. Believe me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Might as well just get your cock out.
  • THAT'S NOT AN ELEPHANT!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Use a prop, like a dildo or a novelty fart noise maker. People love props.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • 1. Thank everyone collectively
    2. Thank everyone who played a role in the wedding.
    3. Thank whoever paid for it if it wasn't you.
    4. "...and of course my beautiful wife"
    5. Tell a short anecdote about how you met, or the first time you knew you would marry her etc. It can be funny but only at your expense.
    6. Hand over fairly promptly. Father of the bride and best man speeches are the long ones and you don't want everyone to get restless, especially if there are kids there.
    7. Toast and sit down.

Pretty much g's link but without the formality of the correct order or the bouquet rubbish.
  • Wing it, all my best stuff comes from winging it, in terms of real life and speeches.

Wing it, you'll be fine mate. Wishing you best.
  • Yeah, if you start with the obligatory, "On behalf of my wife and I," so that everyone can cheer, and then make all the women cry by delivering part of the speech directly to your new wife, straight from the heart, telling her how she's the best thing ever and you love her, then you're golden.

I speak, obviously, not as one who has ever delivered it, but has seen umpteen from the floor and that's really all that people are looking for.

I helped one of my pals write his groom's speech earlier this year, we threw in some funnies, he tells me they went down well.
  • I was winging it in that post btw
  • I'm still reeling at the revelation that someone who actually knows Andy, would ask him for some of his jokes for an important speech...
  • :D
  • I told a Brexit joke in my grooms speech, got laughs. Easy.
  • I know I come across as a complete fucking ignoramus on here, but it's one of very few things I'm reasonably good at.
  • Easy tiger. I'm just yanking your chain.
  • I would at least make notes, even mental notes.
    If you don't thank the bridesmaids you are fucked for life!
  • Many moons ago, I was best man at an old friends wedding.
    He convinced me that we should both just wing our speeches.
    At the reception, he stood up, spoke for about thirty seconds thanking everyone, and then passed the buck onto me.
    Anyone who knows me will realise I'm the last person in the world you'd want to rely on to make a speech in front of a crowd.
    Me? I'm big on saying as little as possible.
    So anyway, this cunt literally leaves me in the spotlight at an Italian wedding with two hundred guests and a full band. The whole catholic nine yards...and I haven't given the first thought to what I'm going to say...
  • ...I'd love to wind this up with a hilarious denouement, but suffice to say I presumably made a total cunt of myself, but largely got away unscathed because everyone had drunk so much wine by this point.
    Twenty two years later, and I haven't the faintest idea what I said. Blanked the whole memory.

So yeah, for fuck sake, never wing it.
  • Only done a best man speech once, for my Brother's wedding.
    I wrote it but fully but kind of knew it and went off the cuff, I ended with an "awwwwww" from the crowd then handed to the other best man who totally nailed the lolz.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Twenty two years later, and I haven't the faintest idea what I said. Blanked the whole memory.

It's a blur now, but if they were common people you must've rolled with it.

I've been to two weddings and find them hateful events. Although the gypsy wedding was fine, and I was a toddler the other time.
  • God forbid there's a video of it in someone's attic. Thank Christ it was pre-internet/smartphone era.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That goes for about the first thirty years of my life.
  • g.man wrote:
    Easy tiger. I'm just yanking your chain.
    I know. Sorry, didn’t mean for my post to come across badly.
  • Ain't no thang.
  • 1. Thank everyone collectively
    2. Thank everyone who played a role in the wedding.
    3. Thank whoever paid for it if it wasn't you.
    4. "...and of course my beautiful wife"
    5. Tell a short anecdote about how you met, or the first time you knew you would marry her etc. It can be funny but only at your expense.
    6. Hand over fairly promptly. Father of the bride and best man speeches are the long ones and you don't want everyone to get restless, especially if there are kids there.
    7. Toast and sit down.

Pretty much g's link but without the formality of the correct order or the bouquet rubbish.

Seriously, do this. Do NOT wing it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 1. Thank everyone collectively 2. Thank everyone who played a role in the wedding. 3. Thank whoever paid for it if it wasn't you. 4. "...and of course my beautiful wife" 5. Tell a short anecdote about how you met, or the first time you knew you would marry her etc. It can be funny but only at your expense. 6. Hand over fairly promptly. Father of the bride and best man speeches are the long ones and you don't want everyone to get restless, especially if there are kids there. 7. Toast and sit down. Pretty much g's link but without the formality of the correct order or the bouquet rubbish.

Thank the bridesmaids and compliment them. See how you forget stuff If you don’t pre plan.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I wung the second half. It was brilliant.
  • "I was really nervous when I was asked to do this speach so I prepared a few lines.... now I've done them I feel a lot better" opening joke from the best man's speach at the last wedding I was at. Really divided the audience that one some very stern looks.
  • My brothers wedding had a good best man speech, but maybe it’s that farm folk are easy to please.

Best line:

“I was worried that a long line of Nigel’s ex-girlfriends would crash the wedding to let the bride know what she’s in for, but thankfully the recent foot and mouth outbreak sorted that problem.”

Farmers rolling in the aisles, I tell ya.
  • I'm getting married this weekend. Apparently I'm supposed to do a speech but Lady Tiger gets angry when I tell her I'm amazing at published speaking and will just wing it. So I'm putting some thoughtful into it. Any suggestions/advice on my speech? Like, length?

Congratulations Tiger, that's great news.

As others have said, and from my own experience, don't wing it.

I told myself that, having done lots of public speaking at which I had just improvised, I would be absolutely fine doing the same with my groom's speech.  After all, it's a shorter speech, and really all you're expected to do is say something nice about the bride, thank everyone, and sit down again.  Easy.

So I did it, off the top of my head, riffing a little on what was going on around me, telling my wife she was amazing, issuing a load of thank yous and throwing in the occasional gentle joke.  I was, in my estimation, absolutely great, and had totally got away with it. I sat down to applause, and as I did so my wife leaned across, put a hand on my shoulder and hissed "you're supposed to thank my parents".

So yeah.  Definitely prepare.

(Fortunately for me I was able to cover it up, in that the in-laws bought the "doing a separate toast for the bride's parents because they're so important" routine that I then came up with.  Or at least they were gracious enough to pretend that they did.  And in any case the best-man's speech managed to cause sufficient scandal that mine was soon forgotten...)

Having said that spontaneity's nice too, so allow yourself to go off script, so long as you tick all the requisite boxes.  (The best speech at our wedding, by a considerable margin, was when the head bridesmaid drunkenly stood on the table, declared that she wasn't letting any man, "best" or otherwise speak for her; and delivered a genuinely beautiful, if somewhat slurred, monologue about never having believed in love until she saw the pair of us...)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!