The No Subject Thread
  • Joking apart, you should always, always have a chocolate bar in one of your belt pouches, or tucked in some barely accessible corner of your body armour.
  • Andy wrote:
    Joking apart, you should always, always have a chocolate bar in one of your belt pouches, or tucked in some barely accessible corner of your body armour.

This was told to me on day one :)
    I always have snacks hidden on me somewhere
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Lee a little jealous that his own monetizing isn’t as money.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Lee's DVDs retain more value, so who's laughing now?

Certainly not anyone watching Gervais act.
  • Do you know i recently re-watched all of Stewart lees comedy vehicle and carpet world what ever it was and his beeb special it’s not that he’s not funny but Gervais will make you laugh more. It may not be as ‘clever’ but you can see Lee has lost it slightly
    The Forum Herald™
  • Preeeeeeeeeetty sure if Lee ever joined here and attempted to comment on vidyagames and saw half your shite Bob, he'd say you're losing it too.
  • But I’m not throwing shade at Clarkson or Gervais so I’m pretty sure that would just be bullying
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Lee a little jealous that his own monetizing isn’t as money.

Laughed at this.  

Lee is the only comedian I've ever bothered to get off my arse and see in the flesh.  Three times at his own shows and once by chance at a Driveby Truckers gig.  Man has taste.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Preeeeeeeeeetty sure if Lee ever joined here and attempted to comment on vidyagames and saw half your shite Bob, he'd say you're losing it too.

Can't lose what you never had.

highresrollsafe.jpg
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Bob wrote:

Laughed at this.  

Lee is the only comedian I've ever bothered to get off my arse and see in the flesh.  Three times at his own shows and once by chance at a Driveby Truckers gig.  Man has taste.

I’m a fan. But he’s drilled down on the not being
    Funny
    The Forum Herald™
  • Plus he mentions money a lot in his act
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Do you know i recently re-watched all of Stewart lees comedy vehicle and carpet world what ever it was and his beeb special it’s not that he’s not funny but Gervais will make you laugh more. It may not be as ‘clever’ but you can see Lee has lost it slightly

I... I mean that was the concept of Carpet Remnant World.
  • the give me your best price line comes from regions like India and Pakistan where as part of the haggling process you ask the seller what they can lower to before you even begin to say what you can pay. Namely to see if there is any movement at all. Therefore everyone over prices their goods slightly to begin with. 

In your situations you should offer them £5 (which probably doesn't matter a whole much to you) and then see what they come back with. But it's just a custom to make them feel empowered in the bargaining process.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • There is no bargaining process with me.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Could you offer some bargaining process?
  • Fuck their empowerment
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I hate the bargaining process. Just tell me the price dammit
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Better than the States where you see the price of something, walk to the counter, then it costs more than the sticker said because why bother adding tax to the price tag? Annoying.
  • Jut do all your shopping in Oregon, where they don’t have sales tax.
  • The half ton blocks of cheese you can get in Makro are amazing.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Better than the States where you see the price of something, walk to the counter, then it costs more than the sticker said because why bother adding tax to the price tag? Annoying.

Yeah, I fucking hate that.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I don't think so; Stew seems pretty happy with his lot financially on the odd occasion he actually speaks about it. He has written about how Gervais essentially lifted his style and popularised it which he wasn't too pleased about (or devastated rather) but I don't think it's jealousy. Gervais idolised Lee and I imagine Gervais would still aspire to be comparable to Stew as a comedian, rather than a celebrity (Office notwithstanding). Of course both of them know they can't get near Kitson who I doubt gives a shit about any of it. Craft innit.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I quite like his extended middle name for Boris too.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Oops, wrong thread.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    images-28.jpg
  • Gervais is an interesting one. Back on the Eleven O’Clock Show, and throughout The Office, and Extras, the joke was on the bigot. He wrote and performed jokes about race, disability, and so forth, and it was funny because it was the prejudice that was being mocked, not those it prejudged.

I haven’t seen the Golden Globes stuff, but the Caitlyn Jenner stuff in his last stand-up show was way off. It was nasty. Gervais demonstrates the same ignorance and lack of empathy that so often defined David Brent’s behaviour. It’s place, in that show, seemed to demonstrate a shocking lack of self-awareness.

Perhaps there were signs of this coming as early as Extras, where Andy Millman is a more relatable figure than Brent, while retaining a fair portion of his prejudices. I’ve often thought that Millman seems close to how Gervais sees himself.

I may be pretentious, but I don’t judge comedy by how much I laugh, probably because it’s rare for things I’m watching to actually make me laugh. Gervais’s television makes me cringe more than it makes me laugh, but that in itself is entertaining. And if Extras came from the heart, then Gervais should be more concerned about integrity than income. Money might have changed that.

Is Stewart Lee jealous of Gervais’s millions? I doubt it. He strikes me as a man with more integrity. He possibly would like to make more money, but I think he’d have a career-ending crisis if he ever thought he’d lost his integrity in pursuit of pounds. Yes, he makes jokes about it, but the jokes are about the relationship between artistic integrity and what is popular.

I’ve banged this drum a few times, but Hannah Gadsby’s stand-up show Nanette is an incredible piece of work. It contains a fraction of the laughs in other people’s routines, but is probably one of the best stand-up shows I’ve seen. If you haven’t seen it, watch it as soon as you can. Just make sure you set aside enough time to watch it in one sitting. Ideally enough time to watch it twice.
  • Ben Elton was very good when I saw him a couple of months ago.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I seem to remember that Gadsby’s follow up to Nanette is coming this year. She was talked into sticking with comedy after all.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Douglas, about a dug.  It's come and gone in terms of a tour; might be a Netflix special or something.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!