The Last of Us 2 : Naughty Dog do their fine thing
  • It's a shame that more reviews didn't at least mention it. I think it's pertinent to the whole experience as well, because you can really see all that excess work on the screen, and some of it feels completely unnecessary, even detrimental. I feel like if they'd trimmed their ambitions to match a more reasonable work schedule, they may have ended up with an even better product. But according to most of the reviews out there, they don't need to learn anything.
  • Edge felt sorry for the artists work that they ran past.
  • Not sure on the stance of not buying it due to crunch culture Reg.
    Also where do you draw the line on buying things whose workers have poor pay or conditions?
    The Forum Herald™
  • The clothes we wear, the phones we use. Someone suffered somewhere along the line I suppose. Far worse than too many hours at the office too probably...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The clothes we wear, the phones we use. Someone suffered somewhere along the line I suppose. Far worse than too many hours at the office too probably...

This is the shit that lets it all slide. Fuck that. I know exactly what the working hours were on this game because they're documented. I don't shop at fucking Primark and I'm not going to be fucking lectured to on my own decisions about what I will and won't buy.
  • Didn't mean anything by that btw Reggy. X
  • regmcfly wrote:
    The clothes we wear, the phones we use. Someone suffered somewhere along the line I suppose. Far worse than too many hours at the office too probably...

This is the shit that lets it all slide. Fuck that. I know exactly what the working hours were on this game because they're documented. I don't shop at fucking Primark and I'm not going to be fucking lectured to on my own decisions about what I will and won't buy.

A bit out of order this. You opened the discussion. Tetchy much?

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • A little but he’s got a lot on his mind.

He’s entitled to his opinion though but if you post it in this thread it invites discussion about it. Maybe keep it to yourself reg if you don’t want to be lectured.

I read that many anime animators sleep under their desk as the hours are so long. Nike sweat shop workers work for pence an hour so it’s all relative.

Crunch is bad but it’s an odd stand to
    Make in my eyes especially when it sounds like his wife is all over it anyway
    The Forum Herald™
  • Does anyone know how open this non-open world is? I mean can you rummage around an entire abandoned building complex or navigate through a forest, or are you still funnelled along one route?  None of the reviews I've read so far seem to confirm the expansiveness of this new world they've created. 

I mean, I see screenshots of Ellie riding a horse, but this isn't RDR2 is it?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I imagine that it’ll be much like the first with collectibles and craftables off the beaten track but otherwise fairly linear ?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Uncharted 4 open at times but you were funnelled down to where you needed to go
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I won't say anything specific, but in case anyone doesn't want to know at all, I'll put it in spoilers.
    Spoiler:
  • Which is probably for the best seeing as everyone’s tired of open worlds and Ubisoft collectathons
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Which is probably for the best seeing as everyone’s tired of open worlds and Ubisoft collectathons

Ubisoft isn’t tired of them
  • The badgers are judging by the ghost of sushi thread
    The Forum Herald™
  • https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1272237950487560192?s=19

My mans wanting us to be more careful about sensitive subject matter but has "abuser of characters" in his bio.

Okay Neil.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Interesting discussions on this in the household just now. I am absolutely not buying this game because I'm not feeding their crunch mentality. Sucks for what I like but I'll do the same for Cyberpunk too (although by September I'm not gonna have any time anyway so wotevs)

I'm kind of leaving flora to it as she thinks the first was her favourite game of last gen (along with Left Behind) and she keeps running hot and cold on it. She got so far as to order it then cancel it 10 minutes later. She is consuming the spoiler free ones, and she's a big Waypoint / Austin Walker et Al fan and Rob Zacny has absolutely dunked on it, so I suspect that may away her as she read it this morning.
    Personally I'm not sure a month before childbirth I want to see a game depicted around the concept of "humanity is shit / fucked". So I don't mind if it doesn't grace our house. I'll read the plot at some point down the line.

Perfectly justifiable position. I'd probably hold the same view if I bothered to look into it, but tbh naughty Dog games bore me to fucking tears. Predictable, pretentious and vastly overhyped HD asset tours.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes Vela my dude
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1272237950487560192?s=19

My mans wanting us to be more careful about sensitive subject matter but has "abuser of characters" in his bio.

Okay Neil.

Cory Barlog got his oar in too. Might have missed this one but apparently Schrier reported on conditions in his studio too..
  • Yeah, saw that. Pretty fucking shitty imo. We need journalists like Schrier, no matter how many twitter shitposts they may take part in. The whole tone of them two is so off-putting, but they're defended like gods for singlehandedly making amazing games For The Fans. Yuck yuck yuck.
  • Imagine though Huw Edwards or Mishal Husein getting involved like that though. He’s a proper news man now. Fucking thick.

Some guy was comparing a game to schindlers list and Shchreir jumps in with some discussion about the content? As if the we haven’t been through Infinite game comparisons with Citizen Kane that aren’t a reflection of a game referencing newspaper magnates with a thing for sleds.
  • Fair but I also don't envisage a Spielberg or a Rubin to get involved with some 7/10 twitter dunks, knowing they'll embolden the sections of their fans that will just blindly enjoy what they produce no matter the cost.
  • Apologies if posted already but it seems where good to go on PS4 or Pro.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-the-last-of-us-part-2-performance-review
    The Forum Herald™
  • Fair but I also don't envisage a Spielberg or a Rubin to get involved with some 7/10 twitter dunks, knowing they'll embolden the sections of their fans that will just blindly enjoy what they produce no matter the cost.

Yeah this secretly launching attack dogs is a bad trend in the games industry. Even if it’s unconscious they must know. They should know.

I can sense they feel probably attacked by him because of his news reporting - it’s fair game on the actual Work stuff but then to see him get in via this petty shit seems a bit below the belt and trying to get in any cheap shot that’s possible.

It’s just weird that some guy who’s now a proper news man gets involved in the hot burns by the guy from Retronauts Podcast.
  • Yeah, absolutely a case of "two wrongs don't.." etc.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I too will never have fun once I work for Bloomberg.
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Real talk, the shittiness here is in Druckmann's response. None of the people poking fun at what was a monumentally bad take @'d him or got him directly involved. He's been twitter searching and seen that someone dared to suggest it wasn't the Schindlers List of games and inserted himself into the conversation.
  • Just amazes me that studio heads, like Balrog, who occupy what is probably the most prestigious position in the industry in terms of wage and air time, consider Schrier’s work to be “tearing down” studios.

He’s since said he was frustrated and overreacted but it’s a pathetic stance to take, the prestige and mystique of a studio isn’t more important than the blood and sweat of the people who actually do the work. They should know better.
  • I don't understand why people think it's a bad take to describe a game as akin to Schindler's List? The person who said this went on to say that he drew the parallel because it's not a film you watch for pleasure, but because you want to be moved, or educated, or whatever. His original comment added that it was the opposite of something like John Wick, where you just watch to be entertained. The reviews have said that the game explores some uncomfortable themes/events. Seems like a reasonable parallel to draw on that basis - unless anything involving the holocaust can't be referenced in any way.
  • I think the Walking dead is a more apt comparison than Schindler's list?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!