GOTY 2019 & GOTD 2010-2019 - Full results on Page 1
  • Top work Jon, looking forward to seeing the rest of the results.

Oops I've nicked the top spot, dratted turn of the page.
  • In joint 2nd place:

Control (18)

m45oQkL.jpg

Control, a game that gives you the power to control things. Which all games do, but not usually quite as much. It’s more like Control+ or Control Extra. Basically you can move objects with the power of your mind and then do really interesting things with them, like throw them at people’s heads. Mostly just that, actually. But everything’s also really weird – floating people speaking gibberish, twisty corridors, an evil narcissistic fridge, a single-digit frame rate. That sort of thing. Spooky.

What you said:

trippy: “I've dragged myself through a fair few big name games in the last year or so (hello Days Gone) and this is like a breath of fresh air in comparison. It's atmospherically unique with some great touches and also a really satisfying shooter. 

There are some difficulty spikes but the art design is brilliant and the way it plays with scale, symmetry and shape is something too few games experiment with. It's pleasantly surreal and genuinely funny at points, and the pacing is great, with stretches of calm between battles. And it's beautiful, too.

Like Noita, the physics are a generation ahead of most games and mesmerising. You can grab and throw the world at any point, and it's incredibly freeing. I'm not a massive fan of shooters but once Control clicks you have the freedom to pull off some impressive moves, instinctively taking to the sky to hurl a filling cabinet at a goon. It's all very empowering, and surveying the wreckage afterwards is extremely satisfying.  I suspect I'll be firing it up for months to come, just to break some chairs.”

MattyJ: “Really great game all round. The overall unsettling weirdness of what's going on in the building, coupled with it just looking like a standard office space (for the most part) is excellent. The writing, in particular the documents, videos etc you find around the place, is well done and manages to mix the mundane with the weird.

The controls, graphics and sound are all top notch. The drip of powers you get mean you genuinely powerful as time goes on, wreaking havoc, destroying the place as you go.

My only criticism is the ending, which kind of fizzled out for me rather than being particularly satisfying, but it didn't detract from the rest.”

stormyskiesahead: “Was debating putting this on here tbh, but I'm sure the issues I was having throughout my broken-up playthrough were my issues, not the game's. When I was feeling it, damn, it felt (and looked) good.”

Tempy: “House of Leaves comes to life as a Sam Lake shooter with a heavy dose of SCP and a light smattering of Twin Peaks. Physics flexing combat and inspired minimalist environments come together to make something that feels as familiar as it is unique. Only issue is it doesn't last quite as long as it could.”

Untitled Goose Game (18)

CBasyUP.jpg

The name’s a bit misleading, in that it actually does have a title (it's ironic, see?). Also, it’s not much of a game. It does have a goose in it though, unless that’s just a large duck, but we’ll give it the benefit of the doubt. Whatever. It’s that thing that taught us what we already knew – that being a complete dickhead is fun, if you can get away with it, and if no one gets hurt except some stupid rural English stereotypes. They probably all voted for Brexit anyway. The pricks.

What you said:

Djornson: “The first time the kids watched me play a game, understood exactly what was happening AND were happy to watch and encourage and laugh along without whining for a go themselves. I loved how my motive wasn't clear but i embraced being a pain in the ass goose. Perhaps geese are that much of a pain in the ass it does sometimes seem like they have some higher calling.”

trippy: “It's a wee bit shonky but it deserves to be here purely for the way it makes my children laugh. And the amazing ending. HONK.”
  • Sekirooooooooooo!!!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fucking boring game wins again. Dodge dodge hit.
  • And the B&B GOTY 2019 is:

Sekiro (29)

T1E59Jh.jpg

Sekiro! The game where the creators of Dark Souls and Bloodborne finally became a parody of themselves. Sweep through entire chunks of old Japan in minutes, cutting down enemies with skill and grace. Then spend two hours getting pounded into dust by a giant ape. Carefully observe the custom of offering someone outside for a fight, lest you get fucked by the camera getting stuck in a wall. Scour every hidden nook and cranny for items you’ll immediately forget to use.

Or, enjoy some of the most clinical, satisfying sword combat you’re ever likely to find in a game. Explore some stunning environments. Run around the roof tops like a proper ninja. Finally kill that fucking ape and punch the air. Oh wait, he’s not really dead. Time to learn another phase. Joke’s on you, loser.

What you said:

hylian_elf: “An epic game full of wonderful combat and fights, amazing bosses, great audiovisuals that help create a convincing setting and characters and story. Some slight issues with camera in tight spaces and a couple of the bosses can seem tough and frustrating until you realise that it’s you who is shit and you figure it out, but otherwise faultless. [10]”

Djornson: “It's great but i dont love it like i love souls/bloodborne. Still, #4 ain't bad.”

Tempy: “It's the samurai fantasy game I wanted. From goes faster than Bloorborne, and far leaner. Combat is a dream, parrying is as satisfying if not more so than it is in Revengeance. Stick enough time into it and it becomes second nature, and you get to cut through wonderfully rendered folklore monsters in a hazy, dreamlike rendition of Japan on the cusp of upheaval.”
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Fucking boring game wins again. Dodge dodge hit.

*parry hit hit 

FFS this isn't Dark Souls.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Forum can't be spelt without From I guess. God I can't wait for the next gen of games.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Now get out of here you
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Forum can't be spelt without From I guess. God I can't wait for the next gen of games.

Looking forward to the next few From games eh?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Looking forward to them getting found out.
  • As I say, there weren't a lot of votes. Only 4 people actually had Sekiro in first place. But that's more than any other game had, so there it is.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

And if anyone starts going down the Platinum work, I'd argue Nier, Bayonetta, Astral Chain and Transformers are wildly different.

For me, From only have one joke.
  • I am incapable of forming my own opinion which is why I try my hand at freelance, they always need more bodies for the Journocube
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Please look forward to my thoughtpiece
  • regmcfly wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    And if anyone starts going down the Platinum work, I'd argue Nier, Bayonetta, Astral Chain and Transformers are wildly different. For me, From only have one joke.

I would be concerned with From doing the ‘same’ game repeatedly, if it weren’t for the hundreds of other games to choose to play from hundreds of other devs.
  • A bunch of devs all doing a (sub)genre of their own but to the best of their abilities can’t be a bad thing. Let From do their thing, let Platinum do theirs, let Ninty to theirs etc etc.
  • I've put the entire list in order in the OP now.
  • If you're a fan of their stuff you'll have been seeing a progression through their titles which leaves the two poles of their "Souls" output as Demon's and Sekiro, games that share very little in common beyond an expectation of difficulty.

If you're not, it's just like any other thing - it all looks the same. As far as I am concerned it's their best game, and I am happy to never touch a Dark Souls sequel ever again. They're not for me, but something fast and lethal is.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

And if anyone starts going down the Platinum work, I'd argue Nier, Bayonetta, Astral Chain and Transformers are wildly different.

For me, From only have one joke.

But also all have the same witch time dodge and giant baddies.

I’d say however that I find myself liking platinum games less than I’d like and less than everyone else seemingly ever since bayonetta.
  • Anyway, a big round of applause for Jon doing this and going above and beyond by collecting quotes from people and doing a neat round up - that's the kind of extra polish that makes it feel really nice. I appreciated it a lot.
  • :(
  • regmcfly wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    And if anyone starts going down the Platinum work, I'd argue Nier, Bayonetta, Astral Chain and Transformers are wildly different. For me, From only have one joke.
    Souls to Sekiro is about the same distance as Bayonetta to Astral Chain. Which makes Nier Bloodborne, I guess.
  • Do better, Elf.
  • (Ditto, it’s brill Jon. Look forward to GotD bit.)
  • Have we time enough to write blurbs for our GotD stuff?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Have we time enough to write blurbs for our GotD stuff?
    Yes, if you can edit it in to your original vote post. I'll collect everything together over the weekend and post the results on Monday.

In the meantime: minor GOTY awards incoming.
  • Good work Jon. 

Goose getting second - bad work forum.
  • OK, there weren’t a lot of votes for the minor awards, so I’m just going to do a quick top 5:

Best sound design

1. Ape Out
    A soundtrack made entirely of jazz percussion, which builds in time to your gorilla tactics. Inspired and brilliantly executed.

2. Outer Wilds
    The use of the scanner to pick up sounds from the other side of the solar system and track them down only adds to the sense of mystery and discovery. Clever stuff. (TBH I’m assuming that’s why people voted for it – could be other reasons.)

3= Sayonara Wild Hearts
    Synth-pop earworms that’ll only play out uninterrupted if you don’t miss your cues. As good a reason to git gud as any.

3= Untitled Goose Game
    Honk, I guess.

5. Sekiro
    “Hesitation is defeat.” “Hesitation is defeat.” “Hesitation is defeat.” “Hesitation is defeat.” “Hesitation is defeat.” “Hesitation is defeat.” “Hesitation is defeat.” “Hesitation is defeat.” Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!
  • What was the breakdown of Goose Game? Was it high in peoples lists or was it just on a lot of lists?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!