Half-Life: Alyx - It's PC gone mad
  • Hit me up if want PC build advice...

To be honest, I've been thinking about that. Don't buy the ps5 and xbozero, that's like a grand 200 right there.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • A half life VR game. The fans are gonna take this well I'm sure.

Seems they're coming on board. All the anger in the Valve subreddits seems to have turned into acceptance, ordering of Index hmds.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Tempy wrote:
    Gonna be good to go back to City 17

VR night at mine on launch day?

Hell yeah
  • I wonder if Valve are doing some Lone Echo style moving mechanics? In Lone echo you move around in zero g space like this (think ISS astronaut) :

It works really well, and I'm wondering if you can get away with a bit of that by grabbing corners/doorframes and peaking around like in the Alyx trailer? VR is weird because some things work that you don't expect, so this might seem natural in VR in playtesting, even if it's not set in space.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Hell yeah

Good man.
  • Hit me up if want PC build advice...

To be honest, I've been thinking about that. Don't buy the ps5 and xbozero, that's like a grand 200 right there.

C'mon in, the water's fine.

As someone who was staunch console for gaming guy for a long time, and who dabbled with pc stuff a couple of times over the last, say, 7 years, I can say it's a really safe bet these days.

The best of both worlds is entirely possible, and the number of pc faffing issues I have is dwindling.

Most titles of the last 2 years, at least, especially if they had console releases too, are just as plug and play as console.

Can't speak on vr, but the amount of free or cheap trad gaming you'll be able to do will make it worth it.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Steam is silly cheap in sales, and Epic just keeps giving me free stuff. Xbox PC pass should keep you busy too.
  • Tom Francis (of the crate & crowbar podcast, developer of Gunpoknt and Heat Signature) has been doing play testing for this game for four and a half years, jesus!
  • Yep. To say they've not rushed it is an understatement, and it's arguably gone back much longer than that. So many small VR experiments, so much R&D. I don't know what the average Valve wage is, or hardware R&D costs, but to get to this stage must have cost biblical amounts.
  • I suppose all that intelligence and piles of cash was going to produce something funky so hopefully this is going to be stunning. I don't think it'd have come to fruition oitherwise. I bet it's scary as fuck.
  • The only sad thing is it looks like Valley of the Gods got eaten to make this
  • Well there was a lot riding on it. The VR that is.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The only sad thing is it looks like Valley of the Gods got eaten to make this

Looks like it was done voluntarily, which makes me even more excite. Jumped ship willingly.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Hell yeah

Helps that it looks flippin' amazing and also a fully fledged game. I'm pretty hyped especially after just setting up my Quest Link to my PC!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I will be playing this on Vive Pro probably. Do we know if it benefits particularly from the Index controllers? Might have to get some.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Tempy wrote:
    The only sad thing is it looks like Valley of the Gods got eaten to make this

What is this?  It’s the worst news I’ve only just heard.  It was one of my most looked forward to games.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That trailer looks fucking mint.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message

I'm in it, for the controls, m8...

edit - Just don't watch me, while I'm at it.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Skerret wrote:
    I will be playing this on Vive Pro probably. Do we know if it benefits particularly from the Index controllers? Might have to get some.

It was developed mainly using them to test so I'd imagine it's a more natural fit for all the physics. I suppose it depends on whether there's a finger tracking option.

• It's probably less tiring with the Index controllers. The Index hmd is also great for long sessions. The comfort upgrade, visual and physical, is significant.
  • It's already showing up in my Steam library. Free confirmed then for those who've bought the Index or Index controllers.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    March? That's literally months away!
  • Helps that it looks flippin' amazing

Yeah, and this hasn't really been explored yet in VR. A lot of the good stuff is indie so I'm well hyped to see what Source 2 is going to bring. The bit in the trailer where she moves the bucket makes the light and shadows change on the surrounding objects. 

The only other thing I've seen with the Source engine was back in 2016 with the Portal Robot Repair demo when I stopped what I was doing to gape at an old computer cabinet in the room. The room was reflecting in the glass on the front and the metal spools were so shiny. I stopped and just stared. It was amazing back then and they've obviously been upgrading the engine since.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    March? That's literally months away!

Enough time to start saving then.
  • I wonder if Valve are doing some Lone Echo style moving mechanics? ...

"Teleport, smooth shift, continuous"

https://www.half-life.com/en/alyx/vr

Will be interesting to see how they work player ability to teleport into the mechanics, enemy AI etc
  • I really hope there's natural, just swinging your arms to walk. It's easily the best imo.

• The physics looks solid. Firing bullets into bodies looks alarmingly addictive.
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Million pound pc to purchase then.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!