Albums and tracks of the year 2020
  • You probably won't like the others. Perhaps Menzingers, as there is a Springsteen streak running through them.
  • I listened to hardly anything new from 2019 but Monsters Exist from Orbital was all I really needed. I love that album.

Dream Theater Distance over time was pretty good too. Not a patch on black clouds but still ok.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Not that we're really tallying, but any final thoughts folks?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm going to add Sound & Fury by Sturgill Simpson into my number 2 position because it's a fucking phenomenal masterpiece which I have had on heavy rotation for a few months.
  • Welcome back!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Cheers.
  • A quick tally up suggests Sturgill wins 2019 by an unspecified amount. 

Thread can be unstickied now.
  • Gave Menzingers a go Dante.  Didn't go mad for the latest one, but I've just finished On the Impossible Past and it does the upper-mid tempo guitar thing well.  Decent Gaslight Anthemic stuff.  I assume you know Titus Andronicus, their first two albums are worth a look.  No idea about their more recent efforts, they might be good too.  When I was looking for similar stuff on the back on my frenzied Hold Steady kick a few years ago this album emerged as a win (pretty sure the looking consisted of buying records by any artist listed as remotely similar on Last FM):

• @Arkady, if you're lurking - that Sharon Van Etten track is a cracker.
  • Damn right it is. One of my tracks of the year too, in hindsight.
  • Bump and title change, let's go again.

Albums:

Punisher - Phoebe Bridgers
    RTJ4 - Run the Jewels 
    Co-Starring - Ray Wylie Hubbard
    Starting Over - Chris Stapleton
    Western Swing & Waltzes & Other Punchy Songs - Colter Wall
    Rough & Rowdy Ways - Bob Dylan
    School Daze: A Fundraiser for Durham Public Schools Students - Hiss Golden Messenger (live album but I'm having it because it got me into them)

....need to jog my memory with some others.  

Some tracks:

A full masterpiece, Bob's best track since Mississippi:

Presumably on my own here but I think this Cornell tribute is Vedder & the gang's best ballad in 20 years:

....and of course:

• Punisher is definately in there, excellent choice. No idea what the rest is.
  • Nice, haven't listened to anything new this year (shame on me) bar Idles
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Feel bad that I fell off the wagon with music mid year, but New Clipping. new Aesop and new Gorrilaz all good.
  • I haven't heard much new stuff this year so can't really do a proper list, but yeah put me down for the Clipping, Godfather 3 by Wiley, E3AF from Dizzee and Agenda by Dorian Electra was good, but not as good as the last album (a tough mountain to climb tbh). 

Here, have a couple of my favourite tracks of the year for you to get mad at, you big load of absolute dads. 

This is the only place you will find the Village People on a track in 2020. From a concept album written from the perspective of an alt right type who finds themselves trapped in a gay dictatorship. Oh and I guess Pussy Riot shout a lot for a bit as well if that's your bag. 

This might be my favourite track of the year, people still refuse to acknowledge that the UK is more than capable of going toe to toe with big US stuff. I will never stop saying that the UKs best are lyrically beyond the US at this point (plenty of evidence in the UK urban thread, but listen out for Dizzee managing to effortlessly work in a reference to fucking gino ginelli ice cream when recalling a period of time in the past in this track) and they did it while also creating a genre of music that execs have been unable to coopt for themselves. Dizzee, Kano and Ghetts are some of the best to ever do it and here they all are on the same track. AMAZIN. Strap in and prepare to flip a table. 

EDIT: Caveat - US and UK goals when making tracks are different, before the hip hop heads assemble the lynch mob.

Double edit while I don the flame proof suit - personal preference, pls understand. I enjoy the way UK artists will put together lines and use wordplay and I also enjoy the way Kendrick, Kanye, Tyler, Lupe, etc. also put together their lyrics. Gah I should have just kept my mouth shut hahaha.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Relax. I agree that MCs can be judged worldwide and international can get compared on same footing as US.
  • Wheel up sound for Rouj. Wordplay is (even more) intrinsic in the UK rap scene and if that's what gets you on the hook it's a preference that makes sense to me.
  • Really enjoying RA the rugged man, cheers Moot
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Not very exciting list but it is -

Haim, Gorillaz, Fiona Apple, Aesop Rock, and Soccer Mommy make up my top 5 in some order.
  • I have listened to pretty much nothing new. My usual faves in rotation being the comfort media getting me through a shit year.
  • In no order then for albums:

Colter Wall - Western Swing & Waltzes
    Only Fire - Double Penetration
    Dizzee Rascal - E3 AF
    Chris Stapleton - Starting Over

Picks...

• Shout out to Rouj also for the Dorian Electra props - I've been following them on Twitter since earlier in the year but haven't done a proper dive in yet, your recs itt making me think I should.
  • I haven't really listened to Dizzee since Showtime, will give this one a go.
  • @nick_md I deffo recommend listening to Flamboyant before My Agenda, My Agenda is good, but Flamboyant is just whip smart and super coherent.

@Moot_Geeza imo E3AF is his best album in a while, it's a good mix of tracks.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Looking at my tidal year end thing...

RTJ, Aesop and Blackthought fighting for top spot.

Then, in some order...

The kite string tangle c()d3x
    Sohn live with metropole orchestra
    Kandace springs the women who raised me
    Jess gillam time
    thundercat it is what it is
    Daniel hope hope@home
    Clipping newie
    Sweet swirl how much works (had to check bandcamp to remind me)
  • I'm pretty clueless as to what came out this year, but off the top of my head I'd say for albums in no particular order:

RTJ4
    Aesop Rock: 'Spirit World Field Guide'
    Idles: 'Ultra Mono'
    Open Mike Eagle: 'Anime, Trauma and Divorce'
    Nadine Shah: 'Kitchen Sink'

Gamertag: gremill
  • Did you listen to Clipping Grem? I get the feeling you'd like them
  • Yeah, I liked the last album but haven't gotten around to the new one.
    Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!