It's Not Better, but I Prefer It
‹ Previous1234
  • Hello friends, this is something that I've been thinking about for a while. What are those films/sequels/interpretations that are, at your own admission, not as good as the best entry but that you for some reason or other prefer watching? 

I'll start, my favourite film in the Nolan Batman pictures is The Dark Knight Rises. I felt it was the first Batman story to get Bane right and I LOVE the Talia and Catwoman stuff. I know it's not as tight as Batman Begins or as dark and satisfying as The Dark Knight but I find myself thinking about it far more frequently and I felt like it was made for me. 

So the question is, what is your pick for not better but you prefer it?
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bioshock Infinite, for me, gets a lot of race issues really really badly wrong, being written and designed by a bunch of white guys. It's a bit icky in places.

Bioshock 2 is kinda boring but has the perfected DLC. Bioshock 2 is I think, the better game. And absolutely, as is 1.

But I prefer Infinite. Why? I'm a succer for metanarrative, for the self referentiality that Infinite thrusts upon itself.

One is the best world building
    Two is the best mechanics
    Infinite is the best reg appeal
  • This could take me some time...
  • Infinite was the only one I finished and didn’t bounce off of. I think I played the start of Bioshock 1 at least 10 times...

Infinite was a much nicer aesthetic, and felt really fresh. Still does in memory.

I really like playing mass effect 1 and 3. If I was to say which was the better game, of course it’s 2. 2 is incredible... if I was to go back and play them again I’d probably pick 1 or 3.
  • If I fancy a Rocky film I'll watch no.IV. If I fancy a Karate Kid film I'll watch no.3. I don't prefer them per se, but I'd reach for them ahead of superior films in the franchises because they're a particular kind of fun.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If I fancy a Rocky film I'll watch no.IV. If I fancy a Karate Kid film I'll watch no.3. I don't prefer them per se, but I'd reach for them ahead of superior films in the franchises because they're a particular kind of fun.

Bah. I was really struggling to think of something that fit the bill, but rocky 4, YES!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I was gonna say, Halo ODST over Halo 3, Gears Judgment over Gears 3, Deus Ex Invisible War over Deus Ex 1; YouTube amateur Hardy Bucks over the professional RTE series; and Chronicles of Riddick over Pitch Black

But these are all objectively better so soz, wrong thread
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Chronicles of Riddick is one of the weirdest and most original sequels. I agree with you! Batshit crazy movie but full of artistry!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • YouTube amateur Hardy Bucks over the professional RTE series; objectively better so soz

Correct. Viper is the best thing outta it though.

_sfYXmcc_400x400.jpg

Bye Pat!

• Paths to Freedom is the only RTE show that doesn't completely fucking suck. So not surprising that their association with Hardy Bucks ruined the fun.
  • Sorry Muggs I don't have anything constructive to add right now, i'll have a think after my Viper reverie
  • Viper is the best thing though no doubt.
  • I prefer DK Rises too, less theatrical and all the better for it. Joker/Dent combo was too much.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I think this could just as easily apply to prequels (or more accurately original installments). Like something like Deus Ex clearly is at its weirdest and jankiest or Splatoon 1 has far fewer features so on some level those are “worse” but really both bring with them that gut punch of newness that really elevates them from what they are.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Probably Mario 3d world over land. I'd argue land is the better game, but I got to play world with my wife so fuck it that's more fun.
  • For movies, Ghostbusters II and Die Hard II spring to mind.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    My second wife
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I have a van.  We also have a fancy car that I'm not going to name but is fairly expensive and fairly widely detested by many.  The car is miles nicer to look at, is never dirty or full of plant life and tools etc, it goes super fast, is genuinely beautifully designed inside with seats that warm me in winter and cool me in summer, everything is automated that can be, the door handles swoosh out from retracted when i approach.  It's fancy as fuck.

The van is fine, can be a bit grotty inside occasionally, isn't very fast and is well, a van.  

Still prefer to drive around in it though.  It's just better.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    My second wife
    :D Cocko, you're tied with yourfavouriteuncle for best and most amusing choice!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    YouTube amateur Hardy Bucks over the professional RTE series; objectively better so soz

Correct. Viper is the best thing outta it though.

_sfYXmcc_400x400.jpg

Bye Pat!

YAS QUEEN
  • The Disney version of A Christmas Carol, with Jim Carey, isn’t the best version of the story (hello Mippets and Scrooge’s, for starters) but it’s the one I watch most often.

I’m not sure that the female reboot of Ghostbusters counts, given that it is objectively better than the original, but I’ll stick that in.

The shot-for-shot English language remake of Funny Games. I know some people don’t think it’s as good, I’m not sure why.

The Atomic Kitten version of The Tide is High.

Burnout over other Burnouts.

The Magnificent Seven (2016).

One thing is occurring to me as I write this. Films, television programmes, and songs are all remade, re-recorded and so on, but we see rewrites of books far less often.
  • Blurum over Bear & Badger.

Kidding. Of course
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Odst is kinda a good shout.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Jonsi version of time to pretend.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Final Fantasy 13 over 12...
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I prefer a bit of vfx in my og star wars.
  • The Matrix sequels. The story is tighter in the original, but I really like the direction they take it in. The only meh bit is the forced crossover with the videogame that leaves a pretty big gap.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • The Matrix sequels.

Know what, I watched the third one the other night and really enjoyed.
    Yeah the Jebus stuff is layed on thick but there is some brilliant action in it. I love the defence of Zion with the mechs and shit.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The Matrix sequels.

Know what, I watched the third one the other night and really enjoyed.
    Yeah the Jebus stuff is layed on thick but there is some brilliant action in it. I love the defence of Zion with the mechs and shit.

I think I may have enjoyed it less if I hadn't read the Invisibles comics, which it is definitely inspired by. I remember being disappointed with Revolutions in the cinema, but it really improves when you watch them all back to back - you can definitely see that they had the big picture in mind from the start.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Home Alone 2. Love the NY setting.

‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!