The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • ABSOLUTE CHUFFIN BEGINNERS. Possibly the most perfect pop song ever.
    Good shout - I love that

And pasty kensit
    The Forum Herald™
  • Pet Shop Boys

Its a Sin wins
  • Great shout people!
    The Forum Herald™
  • This is a real basic pick, but I'm throwing Ziggy Stardust in as my fave Bowie track. I just love the switch up when the guitars kick in for the chorus, also it got the odd play in Snobs back in Brum in the late 90s and the place always went off.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • You don't have to justify picking Ziggy Stardust man.
  • thx bro
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Bowies voice is like a great comforting blanket.
  • Can we take a moment to point out that the production on some of his best stuff sucked a bit? Especially early 80s. 

Making the above case a bit harder for me, but man I love Black Tie White Noise. Such a great album.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I'm listening to the remastered versions on Spotify so I dont know how much difference that makes, but I can't recall particuarly feeling that beyond it sounding like a lot of analog recordings.
  • There may be deliberate choices in the case of some or all of it, and maybe some Bowie fns would riot at the thought, but in a world where steely Dan, Al jarreau and off the wall exist, let's dance, for instance, could not sound like a toilet. (I kinda need to listen to it right now, because I may be getting my tunes muddled.)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I could well be wrong, but I wonder in this age of YouTube that many bands from that early MTV era sound worse as they're been lifted from video tape, or worse VHS??? Just musing, I'd also have to listen again to see if it really is that muddy, I don't remember Let's Dance being particularly bad is all
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'll retract ever so slightly, as part of it is that there's stuff from 1975 (Young Americans) that feels like it's from the 80s. It's mainly the drums, tbh, although some stuff it's everything. They're all great tunes, but there's a touch of the punk/iggy where I'd prefer a touch of the Quincy/Fagan. I don't expect 10 hour knopfler sessions, but jesus, the sound of the drums on a bunch of his classics is absolute ass.
  • Not an obsessive superfan, but I do love Bowie (like a sane person should). Tracks I love include (for starters):
    Andy Warhol
    Oh You Pretty Things
    5 Years
    Suffragette City
    The Man Who Sold The World
    Young Americans
    Fame
    Golden Years
    Word on a Wing

How are your supposed to pick a favourite? Unpossible.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • His vocals all over blacktie white noise get me right in the feels.

Miracle goodnight
    I know it's gonna happen some day

And a few others. There's some sneaky gold lyrics dotted through as well.
  • Sound and Vision for me.
  • Token insane person here, I've never all-the-way loved Bowie.  His most loved albums always strike me as pretty good/decent whenever I try to get into him, which is never enough to fully reel me in.  I've heard a lot over the years, pretty sure I own at least four albums (although Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust are the only two I'd say I know), but my favourites are probably the pub jukebox staples.  Starman and Life on Mars - bold for vote pls - are both properly resplendent pop songs.  

Will chuck these two in as near misses as both of these tracks are f'ing superb:

• Little Wonder is my favourite Bowie song.
  • Sound and Vision for me.

Belter.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Bowie has the proverbial truckload of all-time classics, but I think it’s still easy to choose. Life on Mars is transcendent. It’s up there with Beethoven’s Fifth and Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. Beyond good. Beyond great.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Little Wonder is my favourite Bowie song.

Shout out to that era. Great song.

Since it doesn't seem like many others are going to go past 1992 odd, I'll put this in alongside my pick of Afraid of Americans as a later era banger.

• As I'm farly sure they won't be making the cut, I'll give a shout out to Buddha of Suburbia, Little Wonder, Thursdays Child, Where Are We Now and Lazarus.

Great songs in their own right, but they're up against some of the best songs ever made.
  • I always pivot between Station to Station and Heroes as favourite individual tracks. Plenty of other masterpieces in the canon but these two stand above for me. 

• Heroes is incredible, but it’s so over saturated I can barely stand to listen to it any more. Shame.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Refuse to believe anyone has clicked my song because if they had they'd be remarking on the absolute fuck of that guitar solo by the big man
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And posting now means you went back, cowards.
  • It's a cover so...

Also I'm pretty sure that Dave Grohl does guitar on that track.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well bin it all
  • Bowie is almost impossible to filter. Agree with Pop that Life on Mars is probably the song that even Bowie haters can't help but like but if we dive a little deeper....

Prettiest Star - Works as a lullaby, it's so delicate and I love it.

Rock and Roll Suicide-My 2nd favourite off Ziggy Stardust and explains Ziggy's final destruction.

Suffragette City - About as glam as I can get, whambamthankyoumam

Kooks-Seems to have featured in about the last ten films I've watched. Great soundtrack choice!

Modern Love- A relative late comer to this as thought it was a bit of shit opener, but having been incessantly played a lot at my last work place it's wormed its way in to one of my favourite tracks.

Starman-Probably his most anthemic and yet still manages to incorporate his most beautiful melody imo. I get a bit emotional with this one.

Little Wonder- I do prefer his earlier output but this is a fucking banger.

Overall though it has to be Little Drummer Boy
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Just kidding

STARMAN
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I think my first memory of Bowie was actually when he re-released this classic in 1973. Sadly the ToTP footage doesn't seem to exist any more...

Surprised it hasn't had more votes here tbh.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!