Movie record 2020 edition
  • I haven't seen Triangle yet but from what I understand it is similar to Timecrimes which I quite enjoyed. Watch that if you want some more timey wimey stuff
  • Timecrimes is great fun.  Triangle was surprisingly enjoyable, file alongside Predestination as a 'ah go on then I'll watch it' sort of film that exceeded expectations.
  • 88. One Cut of the Dead
    Wasn't sure where this was going at first and wasn't too impressed. Then it got fantastic.
    [8]

89. The Faculty
    Back when Rodriguez made good films. Scream does Bodysnatchers. Still fun and an amazing cast.
    [6]

90. Cure
    Excellently executed creepiness with an off-puttingly calm style.
    [8]

91. Son of Saul
    Haunting and harrowing. An incredible first film.
    [10]
  • 17. Onward
    Pixar film with Chris Pratt and Tom Holland as Elven brothers in a formerly magical world overtaken by technology who want to meet their dead dad for one day. Really lovely film that looked great, was set in a very appealing world and was obviously written by an absolute D&D geek. Loved it. (8/10
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I've spent 45 mins browsing iPlayer and prime for a movie to watch. Nada. Almost watched 12 monkeys, internal affairs again. I wanna watch something new but have no idea how to start, or patience. Is anyone else like this?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yeah I do that fairly often. It's not helped by Prime and Netflix offering up the same films across multiple categories and their libraries being stacked with filler and shit sequels.
  • I think part of the problem with Netflix is that they only recommend stuff to you that is based on your previous viewing habits. Theres loads on there that you just aren't seeing - if you can disrupt the algorithm then you can browse more
  • Parasite
    Beautiful and awful and funny and tragic. I can see why it was so fêted.
  • 92. Jack Reacher
    Sometimes you just need to watch a dumb but entertaining Hollywood action thriller.
    [6]

93. Lincoln Lawyer
    Sometimes you just need to watch a dumb but entertaining Hollywood court room thriller.
    [6]
  • Bloody hell someone actually watched Cure
  • 102. Wishmaster
    Cheesy, dodgy effects laden, fantasy slasher horror with Wes Craven on production duties. Not amazing but saved by Andrew Divoff in a gloriously hammy turn as the titular djinn. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I did a djinnireckon yesterday and I think it's the high point of my year.
  • 18. The Thing (2011)
    Had very low expectations of this, given that the original is an all timer, but was actually pleasantly surprised. Some decent creature effects and designs (but not as visceral as the practical effects of the Carpenter one) and a good atmosphere, but it showed a bit too much at times and didn't quite manage the the originals dread. For a film that leaned so heavily on the original, right down to some of the set pieces, it felt a bit shit that they didn't even acknowledge John Carpenter in the credits. (6)
  • nick_md wrote:
    I did a djinnireckon yesterday and I think it's the high point of my year.

:thumb up:
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Tetsuo II: Body Hammer - What a subtitle.  More conventional than The Iron Man, which makes for an easier watch, but I ended up missing the first film's raw energy and oppressive atmosphere.  I mean it's still deranged, just a bit more comprehensible.  [7]

Kiki's Delivery Service - Sits just outside the top tier, meaning it's wonderful but doesn't need the large scale blimp action when we've already had the emotional climax of the film.  It's over-egging the cake...  [9]

To Catch a Thief - Looking for something similar to Charade and it fell short.  Nice views but got a bit bored tbh.  [4]

A Child Is Waiting - Garland's penultimate film and it proves she can do naturalistic as well as melodramatic.  It's certainly a tearjerker but not the constant downer I'd heard it described as, in fact it's quite optimistic in its own way.  I'd guess its stance on SEN kids is as outdated as the hard R's but it does a pretty good job of representing them as individuals.  [7]
  • 94. War for the Planet of the Apes
    Could a horse carry a gorilla? Surely not easily. Not quite as good as the second film.
    [7]
  • 103. When Harry Met Sally
    First watch for me. Gentle, witty and touching romantic comedy about the chance acquaintances of two friends destined to be lovers. Crystal at his charming and driest best, Ryan at the peak of her cutest before superbitch took over. 8

104. Pretty Woman
    Great chemistry between Gere and Roberts drives this materialistic yet heart warming romcom. Gere is charming yet assertive as the super rich businessman and Roberts, as the hooker with a heart, reminds us what a naturally gifted actor and insanely beautiful woman she was at only 21. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 21 in that movie?! Crazy.

What are the other classic rom coms to watch? Sleepless in Seattle?
  • What are the other classic rom coms to watch? Sleepless in Seattle?

Here’s a few:

Pretty Woman
    Pretty in Pink
    Say Anything
    Roman Holiday
    When Harry Met Sally
    Working Girl
    Groundhog Day
    She’s Gotta Have It
    Sleepless in Seattle (or You’ve Got Mail – basically the same movie)
    10 Things I Hate About You (could be a high school movie – I’m unsure where to draw that line)
    Crazy Stupid Love
  • Oh yeah Say Anything. Loved that one. I'd put Before Sunrise and Sunset on there too.

Is Roman Holiday still good or is it a bit dated? No Asian face Mickey Rooney in that one right?
  • Pretty Woman was on TV a few weeks back and I found it an intensely weird and uncomfortable watch. There's something very off about it.
  • I hasten to add that I only watched the first 30 minutes, then turned it off because fuck that noise.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bit Epstein-y?
  • It's like it sets up prostitution as some kind of desirable career option for girls, because there's always the possibility that some weirdo millionaire will come in and save you from yourself. Like all the abuse, cocks, beatings, STDs, substance misuse etc until that point would've been worth it.

Fucking weird film.
  • There's a lot of folks around that time that have a similar outlook on prostitution. Heck even now they're mostly played for laughs or is treated very casually
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Punch-Drunk Love
  • Gremill wrote:
    It's like it sets up prostitution as some kind of desirable career option for girls, because there's always the possibility that some weirdo millionaire will come in and save you from yourself. Like all the abuse, cocks, beatings, STDs, substance misuse etc until that point would've been worth it.

Fucking weird film.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/03/pretty-woman-original-ending

It was originally conceived as a darker film without a happy ending. Then Disney got involved and wanted it to have a lighter tone with a still adult theme but fairytale ending. I think you have to take it on its obvious merits without over thinking the seedy nature of Vivian's business. There are still some dark themes but they aren't pushed to the fore so much but I don't think it's glamourising prostitution.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    They couldn't make a film about prostitution without a happy ending...
  • Another vote for Sleepless in Seattle in the romcom shouts, lovely little film.  I'm not into the Curtis movies really, couldn't get on with Notting Hill or Love Actually, but I have a massive soft spot for Four Weddings so I'll add that.
  • 95. Serenity
    It must have sounded like a good idea at some. How else would it have gotten the talent? Terrible writing all the way through and a bad message to end on.
    [3]

96. Cam
    Surprisingly good low budget thriller thing.
    [7]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!