GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    3. 1917

Spectacularly produced but frustratingly disjointed pseudo single-take First World War experience.

[8]

Single take like Birdman?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    3. 1917

Spectacularly produced but frustratingly disjointed pseudo single-take First World War experience.

[8]

Single take like Birdman?

Broadly. Birdman did it better though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Wow, that must be exhausting.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    The Great Gatsby
    Beneath all the stylishly coloured up, CGI-heavy, digital zoom loving Luhrmann-vision lies an endearingly faithful take on the novel. Good fun all round, Old Sport.

It’s a weird one, that. It got the basic beats right and the casting was good. But...it kinda tried to have its cake and eat it. The messaging about the hypocrisy of the elites and their lifestyles was undercut by a director who really liked the parties and era.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    I rate Revenge of the Sith 8 also.

(I only gave Attack of the Clones a 6 though.)

At least I'm not entirely alone on here then.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Tempy wrote:
    I've just logged some more films on my Letterboxed Watchlist and it turns out I have over 200 films listed to watch. Should really try and make a dent in that.

I just created a letterbxd Account. I have a lot of movies to watch in my google account but it looks like this will be better
  • Retro is on a watching rampage. You gonna keep this up all year?
  • Can't remember how many films I watched last year but he must be on course to beat my tally in the next few days.  

Shit games don't play themselves though.  #Priorities.
  • Retro is on a watching rampage. You gonna keep this up all year?

I do watch a lot of movies yeah. I have odeon limitless too, saw about 40 at the cinema last year.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    5. Phantom Thread
    An absorbing study of a fashion designer and his relationships. Day-Lewis on great form as per but well matched by his two co-stars. Lesley Manville in particular is quiet power personified. Standard mench for that incredible soundtrack but that ending got me too.

6. I Lost My Body
    Wow, what a film. Clever and inventive but also engaging and poignant. Hooked me right from the start and was fascinated throughout. If you've got Netflix, it's a must watch.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Cosby wrote:
    5. Phantom Thread An absorbing study of a fashion designer and his relationships. Day-Lewis on great form as per but well matched by his two co-stars. Lesley Manville in particular is quiet power personified. Standard mench for that incredible soundtrack but that ending got me too.

And some sausages.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Heh. Man had quite the appetite.
  • 10. 1917
    Epic, raw and personal piece of filmmaking, technically amazing, outstanding cinematography. *****
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Uncut Gems
    I'm not sure this quite hits the levels its critical acclaim would suggest, but nevertheless this is an absolute masterclass in ratcheting tension. Like having a coil slowly tightened around your neck.
  • Webbins wrote:
    10. 1917 Epic, raw and personal piece of filmmaking, technically amazing, outstanding cinematography. *****

Eyyyyy, glad you liked it. Worth the IMAX hey.
  • 10. Always Be My Maybe
    Wanted something light to start my day and this was a good choice. Doesn’t do anything new but it’s funny and fun to watch.
    [7]
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    4. Seberg

Intriguing if meandering activism biodrama, although Kristen Stewart is as watchable as ever.

[6]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Cosby wrote:
    8. JoJo Rabbit Taika does his thing again. Touching and funny and nice to look at. I think Boy is still my fave of his. [8]
    I haven't seen Boy so will have to search that out.

Boy has handily popped up on Prime today for anyone else interested in waching it.
  • Oh, nice.
    Cheers.
  • Webbins wrote:
    10. 1917 Epic, raw and personal piece of filmmaking, technically amazing, outstanding cinematography. *****

Eyyyyy, glad you liked it. Worth the IMAX hey.

It was very good. I wasn't blown away, more impressed with the technical direction than the story. It was epic though.

I struggle sometimes with IMAX, the screen can be too big and I am not taking the screen in as a whole. I think the motion isn't smooth either and I can make out the pixels at times. Not sure whether this is a Bradford IMAX issue or something that is a consequence of the format.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I gave it 5 stars but I'm thinking it's a 8.5/9 out of 10 in old money.
  • Dragged Across Concrete.

Man this guy makes weird films. I'm amazed Gibbo took the role tbh, definitely thought it would be the sort of character he'd be keen to avoid portraying. It's good (and he's good), but it's got such an odd feel I can't decide how good right now. The dialogue is overwritten, especially evident when delivered by Vaughan (who has a couple of True Detective S2 level zingers), but it maintains a near constant sense of foreboding while being darkly comic in frankly baffling ways. [7] sounds about right.
  • Fuck it, I'm revising 1917 down to four stars, sorry Shabby. It didn't stir me as much as I would have hoped. Not to come across as shallow, I give every inch of my respect and gratitude to those that fought and died in the First World War. The story just didn't quite match the cinematography I felt. It's probably a further disservice to compare it to Saving Private Ryan, but that was more visceral and has a stronger story and a chopping onions ending.

If it helps, I'm lopping a star off Little Monsters too.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Does it feel like a story that could have actually happened? I had the feeling from the trailer that it all seem very unlikely, which annoyed me as using WW1 as a backdrop to provide drama to what is essentially a fantasy seemed distasteful to me.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's exactly how the trolls felt about Beowulf

No but seriously it's strange how we hold some conflicts and historical as "more sacred" than others. I'm far from immune to it, just amused me to observe it there
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Does it feel like a story that could have actually happened? I had the feeling from the trailer that it all seem very unlikely, which annoyed me as using WW1 as a backdrop to provide drama to what is essentially a fantasy seemed distasteful to me.

It was plausible, but it felt like a well trodden plot. There are a fair bit of the trenches featured and I found I wanted to feel what these soldiers were experiencing more, were there better stories to tell here? That final scene in Blackadder Goes Forth? That carried a hell of a lot of the pathos that I was expecting from 1917.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Fuck it, I'm revising 1917 down to four stars, sorry Shabby. It didn't stir me as much as I would have hoped. Not to come across as shallow, I give every inch of my respect and gratitude to those that fought and died in the First World War. The story just didn't quite match the cinematography I felt. It's probably a further disservice to compare it to Saving Private Ryan, but that was more visceral and has a stronger story and a chopping onions ending.

If it helps, I'm lopping a star off Little Monsters too.

TBH I think it's technically an 8 for me. It was a tough one to judge. The reason it bumped up for me was because of how much it managed to affect me in a way I wasn't expecting. If a movie can have such an effect on my emotions then the score tends to bump up.
    Apart from that the film on its own is an 8 I reckon.

IMAX in Melbourne has a fancy laser projector that is very nice and clear. You do still have to sit right up the back so it isn't too much to see. I don't go to IMAX unless I'm able to get seats in the right rows

I feel like it was all stuff that could and probably did happened to soldiers in WW1. But as stories from multiple people channelled into one story.
  • Long Shot
    Really liked this. Funny and Seth Rogan was not as annoying as I normally find him.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 7. Ex Machina First time I’ve watched this since the initial release. I remembered most of it really well, a testament to how good a film it is.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!