2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
  • No More Heroes (Wii) - 8/10

There was a LITTLE bit of trepidation in revisiting this one for the first time in maybe 10 years.  But no need to worry; it holds up really well.  It's pretty much exactly how I remember it.  The remote + nunchuck control scheme is all common sense and really intuitive.  There's not TOO much waggle, and what's there works nicely.  The henchman fights do get repetitive but on the whole dodging, slashing and suplexing is pretty satisfying.  Making those losers explode into a tornado of coins looks as cool as ever too.  Those stylish graphics make the most of the old hardware and while there aren't a wide range of tunes they're all memorable.  

The boss fights are mostly fun and look cool.  They're all quite different too.  They have a little cut scene before the fights.  To be honest much like the rest of the story I don't REALLY know what's going on and everytime someone spoke I was left with more questions than answers.  It all feels a bit like you've caught some mid-season episode of a cartoon you'd never seen before.  You have the gist of it but there seems to be more going on than you know about.  It works though.  I don't think you're supposed to take that stuff seriously, they just want to cram a bunch of cool things together.  

Only real let down - the main gag is Travis, the player character, is the world's greatest assassin but also an otaku who has to burn all his money on clothes and shit.  So between missions you have to earn money either by killing henchman or working jobs IE doing mini games.  It's funny for a while but I got a bit sick of them before long.  They're not that fun.  I'm sure that's part of the gag but it wore a bit thin and I was pretty ready for it to end after 5 or so missions.

You can't stop playing though, you have to see what sort of cool looking boss you might fight next!

Still a very good game IMO and worthy of its status as a Wii classic.

I loved that the describe a belly to belly suplex as Satan's Ferris Wheel in it too.  Perfect.  Would love to hear Joe Rogan say that on the UFC one night.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I devoured it in a few days but I'd imagine the drip fed chapter approach would've worked nicely too, perhaps that would've suited you a bit more. It's not my usual thing but everything felt on the money for me. Glad you got something out of it but it's an unusual experience for sure.
    I have one more act to go, just finished the thing between Act IV and Act V. Wish I could start it now, but I've had too much coffee and not enough food so I'd probably click through it way too fast. It's been an absolute treat the last couple weekend mornings, everyone is still asleep, and it's just me and this weird tale. It makes me incredibly happy to play this game, it's just really good. The episode I did this morning had a storm in the background, so having rain and some occasional thunder in real life made it so much better.
  • 14. A Short Hike (Switch) - 7/11 - 2.5hrs
    What a lovely, relaxing, gorgeous, and touching little gem of a game. Finished it in one sitting, one of the most pleasurable short gaming experiences I’ve had. Absolutely essential.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • If I'd played it on Switch it would've made my GotY list, but it was the first game I played on a PC since.....Doom II maybe. Lovely game.

It could go on Tilly's list, was the first game she completed without input from me I think. Was shocked to see her at the top a couple of days after buying it.
  • It’s the same game on PC though?
  • Nina wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I devoured it in a few days but I'd imagine the drip fed chapter approach would've worked nicely too, perhaps that would've suited you a bit more. It's not my usual thing but everything felt on the money for me. Glad you got something out of it but it's an unusual experience for sure.
    I have one more act to go, just finished the thing between Act IV and Act V. Wish I could start it now, but I've had too much coffee and not enough food so I'd probably click through it way too fast. It's been an absolute treat the last couple weekend mornings, everyone is still asleep, and it's just me and this weird tale. It makes me incredibly happy to play this game, it's just really good. The episode I did this morning had a storm in the background, so having rain and some occasional thunder in real life made it so much better.

I love reading about people enjoying it. Had a similar thing with Outer Wilds.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    It’s the same game on PC though?

It came out last year though, I think.
  • Dayum, didn’t know that.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Kentucky Route Zero is number 6 for me, really thought I had finished more.

Loved this one a lot. Just had everything I want from a game. It's pretty weird at times though, so it's hard to figure out what to say about it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    7 - Knights and Bikes
    Played through this with B. A lot of charm packed into this, and it even got a little bit emotional towards the end. Gameplay lacks a bit, and can get slightly annoying, but there's always something in the visuals or writing that will make you smile at the game again.

Wonder if I can get to 10 this year, I could probably throw Pokémon, Astro Boy and Into The Breach on the list if I struggle, there's still things I want to do in an them but credits have rolled.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If I played shite like moot I could probably still get to 52. But I'm not gonna sink that low.
  • Yeah I'm about two hours in and it's not much cop if you strip away all the brilliance elswhere.  Love the characters and general atmosphere but it terms of how it plays it's no Cat Quest II.
  • 115. Never Give Up - Switch (3hrs 52mins)

And I never did, so I'm not sure what the punishment is if you do.  I expect I would've binned it if you couldn't mute the main character's incessant quips though, wowsers.  Someone honestly thought it would be a good idea to chuck one-liners in for every death (example: "I am the weakest link, goodbyeeeeeeeee" (honestly), or "NO DISASSEMBLE", to quote a forum favourite). Whichever way you slice it it's a spectacular mistake for a relentlessly brutal platformer.  It's a Meat Boy clone with quite good controls and a neat hook to the levels - each set presents progressively harder iterations of the first area, with four sets per zone and a boss.  The whole 'press & hold L&R to give up if you die enough times' thing seems like a bit of silliness to me, surely no-one who plays the masocore platformers would accept even temporary defeat other than banging the power off in a strop.  Easy for me to say though, as I played it on easy.  'Easy' being 'extremely fucking difficult but with checkpoints throughout the stage'.  Huge nope for playing something like this without the checkpoints, it just sounds like torture.  I wouldn't have the skill or inclination to see it through and the 4hr runtime would've easily turned into 10-15 I'd imagine. Still, the insane challenge is there if you want it I guess, and there are far worse alternatives out there.  

As mentioned it's a Meat Boy clone, even down to the blood splatter residue sticking to the spinning saws, but side by side it's a pale imitation.  That's not to say it's not a very enjoyable game for the most part (*if you like this sort of thing*), but it never really threatens to get within a yard of SMB's coattails.  The main character can't run, so he builds up speed as he goes along, plus and he has a slide move, which makes it feel slightly Bit.Trip in places.  It's fine - some dodgy wall jumping aside - but Meat Boy is pretty much perfect, so if you're coming at the king you've got to do it better than this.  This definitely descends into pattern repetition territory far more often than SMB.  There are sections where tap, taptaptap, taptap, tap, tap, is the precise autopilot button sequence required for success (if you catch my drift), whereas I always felt like I was in control of Meat Boy rather than Simon Says'ing my way through an exact set of motions.  

The bosses are better than Meat Boy, perhaps, but one in particular is very annoying.  It doesn't always feel silky smooth undocked either, which is the only way I played it so I can't comment on TV performance.  All things considered though, this is actually pretty good.  It scrapes a [7] but it's a Moot/Muzzy thing for sure.

large.jpg
  • 116. Ultimate Ski Jump 2020 - Switch (30 mins)

What do you get if you build an entire game around one event from a substandard Olympics game that might've existed circa 1992?  That's right, this shower of shit.  I've got no idea why I've sort of fancied this for ages - probably because I like Olympics games and I was intrigued how a single event game could sell for £8.99 - but after foolishly eyeing it up a few times on the EShop I finally bit the bullet this evening for 89p.  I have no words really, it's probably the worst game I've ever played, including games I've deliberately played for their infamous rubbishness on retro days with @retroking1981.  It's truly deeply genuinely atrocious and I urge everyone to try it - it's worth it for the pre-event text alone (literally stuff like 'you feel bad today because you are unwell.  This event will be hard as you are ill and ate paprika chicken.  Try to finish 10th').  I've finished the campaign and I don't really know how it works.  The difference between classic and realistic controls seems to be minimal and I haven't the foggiest why you'd ever lean forward as leaning backwards always makes you go further.  Just a coincidence mere days after wariospeedwagon asked me about the worst thing I've played in these threads, but here it is. [0], considering it costs almost as much as Hollow Knight pre discount.  That's a genuine score too, please try.  This would've bounced off the mustard in 1985.

I had to immediately treat myself to Blasphemous in an attempt to cheer up.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Lol

Also, Blasphemous it's Souls so uh good luck with that
  • Souls with loads of checkpoints though, right?

I played the demo and liked the combat, was the sort of feel I was looking for with Slain.
  • If you want Souls with lots of checkpoints, just play Dark Souls 3.
  • 2D or GTFO with difficult games.
  • A zero!  Amazing.

Love how they put 2020 in the title, like it's some annual Madden-esque franchise

RE Blasphemous I remember it as being pretty good but with some frustrating sections.  Can't exactly remember the checkpoints but there certainly wasn't one for each screen.  They've put out a big update since then, though.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I enjoyed Blasphemous but some of the platforming annoyed the everloving fuck out of me. Still an [8] for me though
  • No More Heroes 2 (Wii) - 6/10

I enjoyed this a fair bit less than NMH1.  On the positive side they've done away with the empty free roaming map and have subbed out the boring side jobs for some little 8 bit style retro games.

On the other hand the fighting has now been expanded and over-egged.  I reckon the first game did a great job of building some very satisfying sword fighting around a Wii remote but now there's a bit too much going on.  Enemies now die in a gory mess instead of the coin tornado of the first game which looked okay but not as good.  They mix it up with some PS2 film tie-in tier levels that get you to platform or be stealthy.  Bosses are hit and miss (though I enjoyed most of them.  I don't think they'll be as memorable as the first game though).  The story is expanded and not good.  There's lots of exposition by a woman on a phone while the camera upskirts her.  Really cringy stuff.
  • 117. Blasphemous - Switch (12hrs 31mins, 73.5%)

It's frankly ridiculous how much I've smashed this since Tuesday, looking at the hours played I'm not quite sure how I managed it.  The fact that I attacked it with the same zeal as I did Hollow Knight (probably the last game that I became this obsessed with) should speak volumes - this was a very special experience, and one that will definitely take residence in the top half of my Cinty 100 list if I ever update it.  There's a chance the sizable patch had a lot to do with my enjoyment here - the aftercare package seems strong, and includes a change to the feel of the jump, QoL fixes with timings/layouts, full Spanish language track, various control tweaks and more, leading up to these two whoppers:

The penitent one will only climb a ledge if you press up, to prevent accidental climbing. 

Damage while wall climbing now doesn't prevent further wall climbing.  Before it was only available after touching the ground again.  

So to me, hanging from a ledge before picking my spot to nip up was intrinsic from the start, but it seems this is a recent addition (unless pressing any direction made the character haul himself up previously?).  Anyway, I thought the post-patch game I played was a breathtakingly good Souls/Metroidvania hybrid genuinely comparable to Hollow Knight while also feeling like an ultimate form Symphony of the Night with its mammoth kitbag of buffs.  The platforming won't be for everyone (Tempy used the word punitive, and while it fits as a criticism, punitive jumpmans can be very appealing and was here for me).  I had no qualms flagellating myself with the platforming as it never felt unreasonably hard, just adroitly mean.  

The pixel art style and animation are stunning, real jaw-drop stuff.  Before this I thought Huntdown and Katana Zero were the poster children for the increasingly popular style, but this does so much so well it probably edges in front of both.  It's a beautifully grotesque game with artwork worthy of Etsy canvas prints.  Music is excellent in places too, and the sound design in general is nigh on perfect, be it the shrieks of stricken foes or delightfully creepy whispered incantations.  

Aside from Hollow Knight this was my first 'Souls' experience (obviously the term has been attached to both loosely but I think I understand where it applies in each).  In 3D this would still be a nope for me as side scrollers tend to be my comfort zone as a rule.  If I die in a good platformer I hate myself, if I die in a good 3D game I still tend to hate the game (probably why I've allowed myself to select easy mode for a handful of titles in recent years).  I hated myself most of the way through this, and therefore loved the game.  

I've gone a bit off track here and I was planning to sit down and attempt to do this game justice with a full review, deep diving on the various things that make it tick.  Bit tired though, probably because I've been staring at a screen for an obscene amount of time!  It's an awesome (old style awesome) quest that struck me as masterfully designed from start to finish and absolutely worth fine tooth combing for the hundo hunters.  I might even NG+ it for the integrated DLC, which would be another first for me. [9]

PTDNemoGif.gif
  • Nice stuff.  Hope it washed the taste of Ultimate Ski Jumping 2020 out!
  • Astro's Playroom (PS5) 8/10

If you've been following the early reviews/impressions of this game I don't have too much to add - Maybe it's not an all-time great game, but it's a great introduction to the PS5.  The controller in particular - this haptic feedback trigger stuff is the real deal.  I can't wait to try a shooting or racing game that makes the most of them.

AP is a fairly slight game, you can get to the credits in a couple of hours.  You have 4 main levels, each of which have a bunch of hidden nickknacks to find (mostly 3D renders of old PlayStation hardware (it's cooler than I make it sound)), and you can unlock other stuff after your done.  

Astro is pretty good to control.  He's very precise and the camera keeps up with him.  I'm not all that excited by the art style but didn't find it obnoxious

I would have been satisfied if this was a mid range price game, let alone a freebie.  Impressive stuff!
  • Shame abut the length but I wonder if they'll expand it here and there with more level sets and so on, flesh out the playroom (or add paid for dlc). It's a game every PS5 owner will have so it'd make sense to make it even more desirable over time.
  • Is that my Phoebe in your avatar btw?
  • There are some speed run levels at the end which should be extend things a bit, but yeah would love an expansion or a full on AAA game.  I'm sure they could do it.

Yes, you have a keen eye that's good old Phoebe!  Only heard her for the first time a few months back but Punisher could legit end up being my favourite album, can't get enough of it.

Spider Man Miles Morales (PS5) 8/10

Much like PS4 Spider Man this does the whole Ubisoft open world thing but has the good manners to bugger off before you start getting sick of it.  You have a reasonable comic book story, some fantastic web slinging and fighting (I never got sick of crawling into a warehouse and finding like 20 henchman that needed to be bashed.  Stealthing around until I screwed up then just having to beat the shit out of them hand to hand.  It always felt great!) and lots of optional activities (fights, collectables, traversal challenges, crimes to stop, all that shit) but not TOO much of it!  There isn't a passive aggressive amount of little icons on your map.  I clocked it in about 10 hours and did nearly everything.  It didn't feel too short either.  

It's not perfect.  The story is fine enough but not terribly exciting.  Like something big and important happened near the end (as you would assume) and I completely zoned out so it mustn't have really grabbed me.  I'm not sure it's laid out all that well either.  There's a lengthy interactive flashback right before a big fight that you're all geared up for.  It was a bit deflating when it could have been more effective if you played it earlier in the game.  It's okay though.

Nice looking game, though I mostly played it with the smoother frame rate option.  It doesn't look all that much better than a good PS4 game aside from the frame rate.  On one hand I think it plays better that way, on the other hand you don't get that NEXT GENERATION GRAPHICS show-off stuff.
  • Chinese Satellite is track of the year for me by a considerable margin. 

118. Knights & Bikes - Xbox One (6hrs)

Delightfully presented co-op adventure game that's unfortunately built around (or at least frequently punctuated by) a truly terrible combat system.  Everything to do with the characters and presentation is within reach of wonderful, but battling baddies, performing most actions and many of the puzzles themselves are poor.  As mentioned the combat is hideous, to the point where it feels like there's a delay on absolutely everything and the characters are trudging through frame dropping quicksand.  I struggled in co-op with my mostly on point gaming buddy, to the point where I can barely begin to imagine how awful it would be for a solo player to juggle two characters during these sections.  

I'm not up for dwelling on this one, but there's more than a whiff of Horace to it. Partly because both were near the top of my wishlist for a long time, so they annoyed me more than rando average games might, but also because the non-game parts of both are excellent while the lifeblood of the experiences - the way they play! - flit between kind-of-alright and terrible.  Here moreso than Horace, in fact.  I had a good time with it because Tilly loved it, especially Captain Honkers/the bike customisation bits/the caravan park slide, and the Goonies horn quest noise is chef's kiss, but it's not a good game.  [5]

9cb003e0acd67a87f1915fda53055effcd3b1be4.gifv
  • Just found out there's a short series of paperback novels based on the game.  Or vice versa.  Will be buying those.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The thing I hated the most was towards the end
    Spoiler:
    As mentioned the combat is hideous, to the point where it feels like there's a delay on absolutely everything and the characters are trudging through frame dropping quicksand.
    We didn't really have this though, the combat mechanics aren't great, but no quicksand feelings. Played it on pc here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!