"yof": false,
    "dis": "",
    "gpu": "Adreno_(TM)_630",
    "cgr": true,
    "debug_playbackQuality": "unknown",
    "debug_date": "Sat Feb 01 2020 22:21:21 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time)"
    }
    banger
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Tribal Dance, and much of 2 unlimited, is well underrated.
  • I know we kinda shit-post bombed this thread last night (I was pissed, apologies), but it's genuinely a great thread idea and I wish I could contribute more earnestly. On the other hand, the vids posted by you all have been great and I've been loving listening to 90s rave bangers ever since. Thanks Muggs et al.
  • In the spirit of replying to the OP …

In my late teens I obsessed over Pop Will Eat Itself. Their trash-pop ‘sample it, loop it, fuck it and eat it’ aesthetic appealed to me massively. Probably the first time I felt part of a scene, if you know what I mean. Back then, if you saw someone else wearing a PWEI T-shirt, you went over to talk to them. Instant camaraderie, proper last gang in town stuff.

In ’94 I probably overdid it – went to see them on every date of their UK tour.

It wasn’t just the music, but the visuals too. Thanks to The Designers Republic, they had a visual style that complemented and elevated the band. The imagery was sometimes even better than the tunes. But it was the fandom that really did it. PWEI gigs back in those days were like a giant, sweaty group hug. The dance of the mad.

Brilliant times, that I wouldn’t change for anything. The 2005 reunion gigs were just as great, but everything since has been disappointing. The magic left, but the memories are amazing.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I know we kinda shit-post bombed this thread last night (I was pissed, apologies), but it's genuinely a great thread idea and I wish I could contribute more earnestly. On the other hand, the vids posted by you all have been great and I've been loving listening to 90s rave bangers ever since. Thanks Muggs et al.

This.  Apologies for going off topic but we're back on track now.
  • /resists urge to post more 90s bangers :)
  • As mentioned, I did obsess light.

Best mate was already queen obsessive. So I just got to hear all the obscure stuff and watch vids and whatever at his place. We did shit 24/7 anyway, so no need to splash much myself. He tends to obsess over everything, so I never had to.

I got into Prince first, had a bunch of albums, and then once I had him hooked he went ham and got EVERYTHING. see also Bowie.

Does being a horny teen with walls covered with pics of Michelle pfiefer count?

Halo for a while.

Bball for a long time. Still.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I've been weirdly obsessed with Watership Down since I was 8 or so.  My dad read it to me first, then I made him read it again.  It disgusts me how terrible I am at reading to my daughter, my voices are scattershot at best, whereas my dad had set voices for each and every character.  German accents, the lot.  When my sister and I were very young he read us Famous Five books, but the distinct jump up to Richard Adams' masterpiece - after I got my own room - stuck with me.  My mum was in and out of hospital around this time, eventually followed by a hospice, so there's definitely something about the memory of those particular storytimes that has added something to the aura of the book for me.  It probably helped us both.  I read it myself not long after, can't remember exactly when but I had The Plague Dogs confiscated in year 6, which I definitely read/had read to me after WD, which is another thing that stuck with me.  Yes, I was reading the bit where the dogs rip up a sheep to other kids in the playground, but confiscating a novel from a ten year old always struck me as a bit much.  Anyway, back to Watership Down: it took me ages to track down a copy of the film, which I was absolutely desperate to see.  In terms of I MUST HAVE IT I'm not sure anything has touched the fervour since.  I managed to borrow a long play copy off a mate in school, but we only had a standard VHS player, so I had to watch it in 1.5% speed.  Which I did, about a dozen times.  Then I taped it onto audio casette and listened to that on my walkman after I gave the vid back.  We eventually got hold of a proper copy from Smiths, and I wore that out (and the audio tape I re-recorded).  Love the film adaptation, from the cast to the spine tingling soundtrack.  It's heavily trimmed down but the story elements they jettisoned or altered made perfect sense for a 100 minute film (60ish on a standard play long play video), and both that and The Plague Dogs are unusual (and oddly brutal) pictures.  Feature length British animations were hardly ten a penny too.

The novel is the star attraction though.  I've re-read it or listened to an unabridged audio book multiple times and it's always perfect.  Genuinely my favourite book bar none.  My tastes are a bit weird at the best of times, but I think it's a monumental accomplishment for the human race.  RIP Richard Adams, it's a beauty.
  • I'll make it my February mission to at least listen to the audio book; I've always know about its legendary status, not least because of its not-sure-if-suitable-for-kids animal violence. I reckon I'll enjoy it.
  • I've got the audio files somewhere if you want them.  Not sure what format they're in though.
  • The eighties matchbox b-line disaster. I had to own everything, even promo packs and random dvds they gave out for fans.

Spent about 8 years looking in every record store for their debut album (horse of the dog) on vinyl, only 500 copies ever. Even made trips to their hometown, Brighton, to check every record store there each year. Found it for £9 in Camden tape exchange and was literally shaking. Put my signed photo stuff in it and have only played it a couple of times. I even nicked random props after their gigs.

That horse of the dog vinyl is worth quite a bit now though so that’s nice. Can’t ever sell it though. They looked like they were going to come back together and record new stuff (one of their songs got big off a Nike ad) but they fell out again.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've got the audio files somewhere if you want them.  Not sure what format they're in though.

I'll pm you a Google drive to drop it in tomorrow, will add some stuff in there in return. Thanks Geez.
  • Some good stories here :)
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Watership Down

I used to know the first page of that book off by heart.

It was my reading book in the first term of Primary 6. Our teacher was a retired lecturer who decided to turn her hand to primary teaching. She wasn’t very good. Having never received a punishment exercise through five years of school, I picked up about a dozen between August and December that year. Her standard punishment was to write out the first page of your reading book.
  • You'd think I'd be able to remember more than 'the primroses were over' but that's all I've got. I blame the fact that my teachers locked books in cupboards as punishment, even though they didn't get that one.
  • -  Food: world cuisine / culture / spice / meat / fire / sauce
    Street Fighter: history / tournaments / techniques / FGC
    Old Fashioned: glass / ice / bourbon / bitters / cherries
    -  Old PC games I haven't played: can't explain this one
    -  Drum and Bass: '98-2003 / Virus / Ram / hi DS

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!