Gods & Monsters: The Prometheus Thread (Mahooosive Spoilers!)
  • Just caught the ad for the DVD/Bluray which states the film has an alternate beginning and ending. Don't know what to make of that.
    Now if they could just sort out the middle it might be pretty good.
  • Yeah, the dvd trailer seems to have a lot more of the blue people milling about.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    That was Yellow Submarine.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Interesting interview here. The original medpod scene sounds MUCH better, and makes more sense. 

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1563
  • Sounds better. FFS.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Reads better.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Maybe I'm one of those chaps who reads out loud.
  • I picked up the special 4 disc version of this sight unseen last night. It came with 3D version and having not seen or heard anything about Prometheus, I put the baby to sleep, told the lady to go out and tucked into bed with my 3D glassed and a glass of water.

I absolutley loved the ride. From start to finish. 

I read g.man's initial post and while I agree with a few of his points, they just didnt bother me. It was a pure 'popcorn-fest' with an interesting message in the background.

This thread is massive and I think I'll spend some time going through this - but was the overriding theme for you  guys on why it was bad?
  • I liked the ideas, the engineers etc but it was superficial and poorly executed.
  • Plot holes did it in for me. Why did exposure to the black liquid do different things to the original engineer, Shaw, her bloke, the 2 guys with the snake thing, etc etc? No continuity. The same fluid makes an engineer disassemble into component DNA; does a similar thing but much slower to Shaw's bloke; transfers to Shaw but instead of doing that to her makes her instantly pregnant with an alien; it also turns the geologist into a killer crab zombie thing, rather than any of the above. 

The interview with the writer said he wanted to keep people guessing about what the black liquid did, so it'd become a conversation point like whether or not Deckard was a replicant. So he achieved that by making it  I lots of different things, rather than by doing anything good. 

Gman's biggest complaint sat with me as well. One conversation and the captain agrees to kill himself and his crew? No way; EVERYONE would have raced them back to earth and had a think about it on the way.
  • Elm, those are all valid plotholes. But it's a film, about aliens, and god, or not god, and space ships, and machines, etc.

If I can dispend my disbelief that in 70 years we can travel through space then I can not concentrate too much on the plot holes.
  • Yup, true. What grated is how easily we all thought of ways to plug them; like gman's plan, if David infected Charlize Theron instead of the other guy it would have made sense given all the "he's like a son to me" stuff. Then, when the captain nailed her, he would have been infected; giving him much more reason to consider a suicidal course of action. 

Likewise, the studio insistence to remove aliens as per the Empire interview above makes things more incoherent, but there still were ways to pull out a purpose for the black goo and make it a bit more explicable.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The black goo made different things in different ways each time. It was completely unpredictable and I think that was the point. Nobody knew what life it would come up with, which is why the engineers couldn't handle it and why David was fascinated with it - it meant creating something genuinely new.
  • Kow wrote:
    The black goo made different things in different ways each time. It was completely unpredictable and I think that was the point. Nobody knew what life it would come up with, which is why the engineers couldn't handle it and why David was fascinated with it - it meant creating something genuinely new.

So why'd the engineer drink it at the start?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Good question. I don't know. He's left behind by his ship at the beginning on what we presume is Earth. It's never really explained what his purpose is. Seems like he is becoming the new life on earth. The black goo doesn't kill, it transforms them into something else. Maybe he was the seed. Maybe he volunteered or was forced. Maybe they thought they could control it and only later discovered they couldn't.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It just seemed to be a suicide to me. Maybe it always effects the Engineers the same way.

But I'm with you, google. The film falls apart on closer inspection, but then so does Aliens, and so do most Hollywood films, it was still good fun.
  • Think the deleted scenes expand upon that.
  • Stills I've seen suggest it was some sort of life-giving ceremonial suicide.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think there's any hole in the film big enough to ruin it. It's science fiction so you can pull it apart from the first to last minute if you want, just as you can with any science fiction.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Kow wrote:

He drank it to seed Earth with his DNA.  Why is left for another film, I guess.  And that goo could very easily be something quite different (less advanced?) than the stuff the Engineers were messing around with on LV-223.  There is, after all, millions of years between the two instances.
    Get schwifty.
  • May be reading the runes rong but it seems like most who skipped the initial release window basically got on alright with the film, and those who didn't didn't?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah there seems to be some frustration. I don't hear many people talking about Moon and saying wait, human cloning is impossible so this film is bullshit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I did go in with low-to-no expectations.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I had high expectations and while they weren't fully met, I thought the film was pretty good. Definitely enjoyable.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Same here.
    Get schwifty.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I would also have been the first to jump on it if it hadn't impressed me.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I watched the director's commentary the other night.  Ridder's is definitely up for another two.  Not sure how that's going to work if he follows Shaw, though.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    He drank it to seed Earth with his DNA.  Why is left for another film, I guess.  And that goo could very easily be something quite different (less advanced?) than the stuff the Engineers were messing around with on LV-223.  There is, after all, millions of years between the two instances.

Yeah, I thought he was the seed for life on that planet; but if it did that with him, and with Holloway (was that Shaw's boyfriend's name?) albeit much slower, why did it do something else to Fyfield? The engineers have human DNA, so how could it behave differently?  The idea that it was some other, in associated lack liquid is just lazy on behalf of the writers.
  • Well, it's lazy or it's polite insofar as it leaves it open to entertaining post-match speculation, which seems a valid artistic tactic to me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!