How to Start a Pension in the Face of Economic Armaggedon
  • Here you go.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • The reason platforms don't fail is because they just skim a fee and the risk is all yours.
  • You won't lose money if the platform goes under, you still own the shares. Also, put all your money into the s&p.
    Does that go for an ETF too?
    Not sure. I just checked out the tracker fund and some of the platforms aren't that transparent on owning stocks and shares. Some platforms appear to take full ownership of anything you invest in and 'owe' you the cash. Seems complicated.

To take a popular ETF example, the previously mentioned Vanguard S & P 500 ACCU fund is a good one. The ETF (i.e. the fund) itself, owns the shares I think, then the ETF is broken up into units which you purchase. So, you are tied to the shares indirectly, but you don't directly own a stake in a company. It simplifies things for the investor as you just buy and sell the ETF and the price of the ETF goes up or down. The ETF allows you to buy partial units too.
  • Yeah, I checked out the FCA Handbook and it's all good. There's segregation via a nominee account that's not directly held by a platform so you're not just hoping the platform has got their books in order. We're as protected as the billionaires and they're not relying on £85,000 compensation if it all goes tits up. 

There are also company level records that notes who owns what, and the upshot is everyone will have to pay an accounting firm to find the paper trail if it all goes tits up. This cost is shared amongst all the investors (depending on the size of the investment) and is nominal compared to the amount of the investments held. 

We're more protected than we are with our banks and a regular savings account. If your bank goes bust you really will only get a max of £85,000. Of course if you're only invested in a single company and they go bust then that's all on you, which is why index funds are great.
  • When a boom like this happens, I often think I can crystallise the gains by moving my pension fund from equity heavy to gilt / bond heavy, wait for the inevitable bust, and shift it all back in to equity

This is of course madness but people often think mad things. There’s quite a big window if you don’t get greedy
  • I know someone who did the inverse. Moved his fund into risky (full equity) and timed the bottom of the market during Covid. He didn't move back out of risky however. Not like he is constantly trying to time markets.
  • How insane these moves are just comes down to the consequences of losing. Hence the rich get richer. They can take the gamble because its just a 5th Ferrari or the third home's swimming pool extension (or a home cinema, stop gambling on my livelihood dickheads). As opposed to starving/freezing to death in retirement.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is it worth having some money in a cash ISA and some in a stocks and shares ISA, or should I really chuck it all in the stocks and shares?

My cash ISA is 5.1%, which is less than the S&P is going to get me, but it's not too bad. I was thinking a 60/40 split in terms of cash/stocks for safety, but am I being too cautious?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Cloudflare dp
  • You could always put the ISA cash into a tracker when there's a correction/crash but there's nothing wrong with a small cash holding if it's just 5%.
  • Can you keep it tax free if you transfer?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think I would need to wait until April. What would you think would be a sensible split between the two?
  • I personally don't hold cash but many recommend it as further diversification. I think this is for active investors really, which is silly in itself. Long term the s&p will obviously beat cash. It's worth thinking about these things coming up to retirement but for now I'd stick it all in a tracker but wait for a dip.

When I bought Nvidia I transferred it from the S&P fund and it's a bit of a pain but I'm not playing the sensible game properly! The idea for this thread is to stick all your monies into an S&P tracker and do nothing, but 5% is no biggie if it's already in an ISA. Might be more fun to stick it in during a really juicy crash though seeing as you have it lying around.
  • Also, if you do try it'll give you an insight into why timing is fraught with danger. When do you put it in? What if it falls further? Greed will get you in the end if you did this regularly but doing it once will be ok. You're not taking out which is the main thing.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Good points, maybe I'll wait to try and time it with the inevitable correction. I'm guessing the volatility around the US elections later this year might trigger something.
  • Having cash is good for instant cash needs. If you have those (sudden unexpected unemployment, illness, care costs, household repair / replacement, holiday, car costs etc) then it’s sensible to hold the necessary funds in cash because it’s not volatile, and 5% is not bad guaranteed return! Instead of thinking about it as investment, think of it as something you may need in short term that you don’t want exposed to volatility (being forced to withdraw funds when things are crashing), so you just have a number in mind. Three months’ salary, £5k, whatever. The rest you carry on investing.
  • DP… hmm further musing on my “hey why not transfer my entire pension fund from booming-about-to-bust equity to bonds which do well in equity busts”… it’s a bit like single share investments, bitcoin etc. If you are disciplined and come up with a reasonable profit (say, buy price +20% or +50% or whatever) and then sell, happy to have made the money, crystallising the profit - then you shouldn’t worry about whether the shares then go further (well done those with more risk appetite): you made your money!

Does that apply to a pension..? It’s at about 12% annual return and 25% actual total return; should I be like “ok made the profit, let’s make that real, then reinvest when correction inevitably comes?”

Issues:
    1. Missing out on more growth / correction doesn’t come (lol)
    2. Nothing is really safe
    3. Hassle

Anyway nothing to do with safe regular pension investments which by design flatten out booms
    And busts (as long as you keep up regular contributions at least monthly!!) so ignore
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That makes sense. I can't see why there would be, but am I correct in thinking I can pull the interest (+whatever else I might want) out of the cash ISA and put it into the stocks and shares ISA (assuming I haven't put any money in the cash isa that year) without issue?
  • Firstly: you can transfer between different ISA providers and different ISA types, yes

Secondly: that can usually be any amount you like at any time BUT

Thirdly: any money you've invested in an ISA during a particular financial year (Apr-Mar), can only be transferred in full (which I believe would include any interest earned by that amount). I presume this is to avoid people over-subscribing and it being difficult to detect otherwise

So, worked example: 

Year 1: you invest £5K into provider 1's S&S ISA
    Year 2: you have earned £500 interest tax free, and you invest a further £5K (total £10.5K). You decide to move some to provider 2's cash ISA. You would be able to move any of the first £5K+£500 interest (and rather complicatedly, any interest that £5.5K has earned to date in year 2!), AND the entirety of the second £5K (plus interest to date), or NONE of it (plus interest to date)

Hope that's clear
  • Sorry, to answer your question directly, yes: you would be able to put some or all of the cash ISA amount into a S&S ISA at any time because you haven't put in anything to the cash ISA this year
  • I'd imagine this idea of a "British ISA" won't go down too well here. An ISA where you can only buy into British equity!

Quite the admission that the UK market is on its arse. Can we just call it the Brexit ISA instead?
  • I suspect it will mainly be used by the well off as it gives people an additional £5000 of tax free savings, so for those who are maxing out their ISAs it's a good deal.

For those that buy in on some nationalist ideology, more fool them I suppose.

I think there are probably better ways to help British businesses. Stop fucking around with Brexit and EU bashing nonsense for a start.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Stop fucking around with Brexit and EU bashing nonsense for a start.

Exactly my thoughts. They cripple the market with their ideological BS and then offer this up as a fix. Laughable.
  • The budget was an absolute turd.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    At least the child benefit threshold was raised, but that's the only positive really.
  • Aye, but it's still stupidly not based on joint income.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No, that is still stupid. Although hopefully that might change in the next couple of years too.
  • At least the child benefit threshold was raised, but that's the only positive really.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Aye, but it's still stupidly not based on joint income.

11 years ago, the threshold was changed from £100k per family to making deductions based on whomever in the household earns the highest over £50k.

Just think about that for a minute. At the time, it was overly generous to set the threshold at £100k, and the Tories could have simply reduced the threshold per family to £80k or whatever. Instead, they went for a tax that punished a set-up with one higher earning parent and a stay-at-home Mum or Dad. They really showed what they thought about the importance of the stay-at-home parent. Fuck all!

To have that £50k threshold in place until now, with the cost-of-living rises we have had is outrageous. The raise to £60k is a move in the right direction, but they policy the put in 11 years ago was completely fucked.
  • Considering a punt on ARM.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    https://www.trading212.com/invite/199i46z4FC

Not sure if anyone is using trading 212, but I've just opened an account with them for an ISA. I got 3 free shares in Deutsche Lufthansa (worth about £25) for signing using a referral link (like the one above :-) ), but I also get 1% cashback for all ISA deposits into a separate investment account, so if you max your annual £20k allowance you get a free 200 quid! And it's dead easy to use and has low fees.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!