X meets Y - when genres collide
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Rise of the robots was both shit and awful

Quoted for truth.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    The Holy Grail of gaming genre mash-ups, that of seemless transferral from RTS viewpoint to first or third person action, still hasn't been found. Imagine sending your armies across the map in a Total War stylee,  then switching to first person view to lead yer troops from the front. Failing that, and to actually answer the OP, any RPG-FPS hybrid gets my vote - which is why I find myself playing Fallout 4. Again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Under_Fire:_The_Crusaders
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    The Holy Grail of gaming genre mash-ups, that of seemless transferral from RTS viewpoint to first or third person action, still hasn't been found. Imagine sending your armies across the map in a Total War stylee,  then switching to first person view to lead yer troops from the front. Failing that, and to actually answer the OP, any RPG-FPS hybrid gets my vote - which is why I find myself playing Fallout 4. Again.
    There’s a game called Eximius: Seize the Frontline that does that. Good game, but suffers from a low population. Also, it’s modern warfare, not Total War-style, so we’re talking small teams of troops, not massive numbers. It does do the FPS / RTS mashup, though.

(Noted Kingdom under fire mention too.)

Is that Eve online FPS thing still going? 

Agree there needs to be more mash ups of RTS and 3rd/first person shooter or slasher.

Do any of the above do the RTS while folks are also doing the FPSing?

Because that would be cool. Never mind doing one then dropping in, MP where folks are RTS and other folks are FPS please.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Eximius does. You have a character per team allocated as a “general”. The general can issue orders and tell their team where the enemy is.

Then they can zip down into FPS mode.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Forum, whrer typing simulator meets anti cunt device

and yet still I show up
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Has no one mentioned Actraiser yet?
  • Beat em up plus rhythm dancing plus karaoke plus snooker plus dating sim plus darts plus baseball plus bowling plus slot cars plus mahjong plus real estate empire management plus stealth = Yakuza 0
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Shaq Fu.

Basketball meets beat em up
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    What's that dancing RPG one too?

Crypt of the Necrodancer, that's the one, thanks rouj
  • TUNE IN FROM 20:00 etc. lol
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Twinkle Star Sprites - shmup meets split screen puzzle game.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Shaq Fu.

Basketball meets beat em up

Is this two genres or a re-skin of one genre? I was going to say the Simpson’s GTA clone, but then I realised it was just one genre, with a contrasting re-skin.

Edit: I should offer my own contribution, but can’t think of any!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!