What do you miss most about the weekend?
  • I'm officially furloughed now so I guess during the week I just sit there picking my arse being extremely careful I cant profit from it at a later date.
  • I actually still get weekends. Only working shift work means my weekends are simply when I've finished a set of shifts. Sometimes they fall on actual weekends but mostly they fall midweek.
    I haven't really stopped working throughout this.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I'm officially furloughed now so I guess during the week I just sit there picking my arse being extremely careful I cant profit from it at a later date.

You're allowed to take additional work while furloughed aren't you?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I'm officially furloughed now so I guess during the week I just sit there picking my arse being extremely careful I cant profit from it at a later date.

You're allowed to take additional work while furloughed aren't you?

Yes but it has to be totally unrelated to my normal work.
  • Oh and f1
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm back at work. Still got my weekends. The only real difference is lack of traffic which is a bonus for me day to day. I pray redundancies aren't on the line but it's sadly inevitable. Hope it ain't me...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Oh and f1

This and, especially this time of year, sitting in a pub with a roof terrace having a few sociable ones catching the last of the afternoon sun.

• Oh and a fucking haircut I don’t have a bad head of hair for someone approaching fifty but when it gets this long it falls into a natural Ken Barlow and that’s not a good look
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I skinned mine off a week ago.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I skinned mine off a week ago.

I’ve got the clippers but imma gunna look like Mark Williams the snooker player and a bit of length disguises that
    The Forum Herald™
  • Tempy wrote:
    The weekend is a relic; a mere vessel. Hand over your weekend, and a new world awaits you.

As much as I hate God things I've always admired the religious idea of a shared celebration, to be enjoyed by all and fuck capitalism for a bit. Do we really need a 24 hr supermarket? Do we fuck. Do we need call centres on a weekend? Do we fuck, at least not 95% of them. I remember when Glasgow Fair was a thing and local businesses used to shut for a fortnight. That was what, 20 years ago? I remember when pubs in England used to have to shut on a Sunday at 3. It was ace.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • giphy-downsized-medium.gif
    Yesss... give into your destructive urges Gazelle! Fight the god of Capital at the crossroads of fate!
  • Do we need call centres on a weekend? Do we fuck, at least not 95% of them.

Its imperative that people can moan about their TV at 9am on a Sunday.
  • I remember when pubs in England used to have to shut on a Sunday at 3. It was ace.

This part was not ace.
  • Imagine not selling something that you had in stock and the customer could afford to buy? 

"I'm sorry but fuck your money, it's the law."

It was all kinds of ace.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Remember before ATMs?  If you didn't have cash for the weekend by lunchtime Friday you were more or less fucked unless you wanted to wank around with cheques.  Those were the days. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I remember the days you were paid in cash, in an envelope.
  • Errrr no. I don’t.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • How old are you guys?!

(My dad got paid in a brown envelope with hand written tax and ni amounts etc)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So did mine. Though his pay packet was typed (may have been printed - Harland and Wolff shipyard had an IT dept even back in the 70s). The notes were always mint - they stuck together if you weren't careful... My dad was paranoid about handing an extra note over so he used to scrumple them after counting his wage.

N.Ireland used to close for 2 weeks around the 12th July. There was very little open during that time. Private owned shops would stagger it so you could always get food etc. but there was little else open unless you were in a seaside town. Most factories all closed at he same time. It actually sort of makes sense - gets it out of the way and no wondering if certain suppliers are open.

(If you lived up the Falls Rd in Belfast or the Bogside in Derry/Londonderry I suspect most private owned shops stayed open)
  • I'm 48, and as a student envelopes were sealed but had exposed notes you could count without breaking.
  • I remember the days you were paid in cash, in an envelope.
    I'm still grateful you let me into your truck at Calais buddy
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I'm still grateful you never told anyone.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've only ever been paid cash in an envelope when I did the paper rounds for the news agent.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When I worked in pubs '90-91 it was cash in an envelope. A working mens' club in Belfast even included a printed payslip. Meant I paid tax but I got it back as a rebate.
  • My partner still gets paid cash in envelope with a printed payslip.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ahh, 1994, working for the council, 2.79 an hour, enough for a packet of ciggies or three pints

Little brown envelope, handwritten breakdown on the outside
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yeah, I think actual pay packets are still a common thing in hospitality. Not at big chains or groups, but on the smaller scale definitely.

My ex-wife always used to get ’em from bar and restaurant work and when she eventually managed places she was the one who had to put everyone’s cash into envelopes and hand them out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!