The Greatest Guitarist of All Time Bracket. May (lol) Madness. Elite 8. Red Dave xoxoxox
  • Maybe SRV I don't know.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Hendrix Richards Hooker Gilmour
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Page
    Hooker
    Richards 
    Vaughan
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hendrix
    Gilmour
    Richards

Cant read the last one.

Anyway page can get in any fucking bin around. Waste of space creep.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Cant read the last one.

Stevie Ray Vaughan or David Gilmour
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Its Gilmour 1000000 times
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ah well I dont give a fuck about either. Probably Hooker although I like Slash's hair a lot.
  • Wait, you did them. You missed Slash or John Lee Hooker.
  • I need to stop editing my posts whilst people are replying to them.
  • I don't think I've ever listened to a whole Pink Floyd song.
  • Or eaten a pickled egg.

Which is unrelated.

Aside from being a thing I've not done.
  • Pickled Floyd would be a great name for a cover band
    SFV - reddave360
  • Having obtained a cool guit* and grown your hair long, the next step to guit** greatness is to study Captain Beefheart's Ten Commandments of Guitar Playing:

1. Listen to the birds.
    That's where all the music comes from. Birds know everything about how it should sound and where that sound should come from. And watch hummingbirds. They fly really fast, but a lot of times they aren't going anywhere.

2. Your guitar is not really a guitar.
    Your guitar is a divining rod. Use it to find spirits in the other world and bring them over. A guitar is also a fishing rod. If you're good, you'll land a big one.

3. Practice in front of a bush.
    Wait until the moon is out, then go outside, eat a multi-grained bread and play your guitar to a bush. If the bush doesn't shake, eat another piece of bread.

4. Walk with the Devil.
    Old Delta blues players referred to guitar amplifiers as the 'devil box'. And they were right. You have to be an equal opportunity employer in terms of who you're bringing over from the other side. Electricity attracts devils and demons. Other instruments attract other spirits. An acoustic guitar attracts Casper. A mandolin attracts Wendy. But an electric guitar attracts Beelzebub.

5. If you're guilty of thinking, you're out.
    If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something that is fur bearing.

6. Never point your guitar at anyone.
    Your instrument has more clout than lightning. Just hit a big chord then run outside to hear it. But make sure you are not standing in an open field.

7. Always carry a church key.
    That's your key-man clause. Like One String Sam. He's one. He was a Detroit street musician who played in the fifties on a homemade instrument. His song 'I Need a Hundred Dollars' is warm pie. Another key to the church is Hubert Sumlin, Howlin' Wolf's guitar player. He just stands there like the Statue of Liberty — making you want to look up her dress the whole time to see how he's doing it.

8. Don't wipe the sweat off your instrument.
    You need that stink on there. Then you have to get that stink onto your music.

9. Keep your guitar in a dark place.
    When you're not playing your guitar, cover it and keep it in a dark place. If you don't play your guitar for more than a day, be sure you put a saucer of water in with it.

10. You gotta have a hood for your engine.
    Keep that hat on. A hat is a pressure cooker. If you have a roof on your house, the hot air can't escape. Even a lima bean has to have a piece of wet paper around it to make it grow.

This round will be judged accordingly.

* guitar player slang for 'guitar'
    ** see previous note
  • Page
    Richards
    Slash
    Gilmour, even though I've still not tried a pickled egg.
  • No matter how hard he tried, poor David just couldn't get Kimberly to eat the egg...
    qp8cWsy.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I don't know where to start, that's all. A plain and simple white vinegar type? Something more complex with herbs and spices? Or just start with the Syd Barrett stuff and stop once they get too conceptual and up their own cloacas?

Regardless, Gilmour is right to admire those yellow velvet dungarees. A pair of those would see him sailing through the next round of voting for reasons that I'm definitely not making up as I go along.
  • How the fuck is Richards even holding a candle to Santana? What is happening. 

lol.

Need to do some Gilmour SRV diving to decide that one.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well John Lee Hooker is in there. I think he knew two chords on a good day.
  • And he's up against slash. Who the fuck is running this thing.
  • Brackets. So good for lols and chats, so bad for accuracy.
  • Facewon wrote:
    How the fuck is Richards even holding a candle to Santana? What is happening.

This...

• Has Francis Rossi won yet?
  • Facewon wrote:
    Need to do some Gilmour SRV diving to decide that one.
    SRV? Another brilliant guitar player. Unfortunately brilliant guitar players are dime a dozen. What is he remembered for? Nothing I can think of.
    Gilmour, on the other hand, well all you need is this...

It is highly doubtful that there is another song in existence that contains a guitar solo that more perfectly encapsulates the lyrics and themes of the song than this.
  • Facewon wrote:
    G7oZoka.png

Hendrix
    Santana
    Slash
    Gilmour
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm a blues guy through and through, and very few can hold a candle to Stevie Ray. Better than Gilmour? In my book yes.
  • Yeah, I'm not much of a blues guy, and I listened to a few things and it's a big pile o meh.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Gilmour is a great composer. I can imagine he spent a long time putting together his solos and he can play them note for note every night. SRV is a different beast, effortlessly knocking out off the cuff guitar work. He kept a dirty edge on the blues that a lot of other guys like Clapton polished up and made very pedestrian. His straight blues is way past Hendrix et al
  • With you on the above Kow. Out of the final four I picked, I can see SRV taken the title. If my choices come through it will be a final between Stevie and jimi - a tricky one to call but stevie probably would take that.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Page (close call)
    Santana (much prefer listening to Keef but I guess the time for preferences has passed)
    Slash (can't explain why I decided but that's my final answer)
    Stevie Ray Vaughan

SRV my fave of the remaining players, and also the best.
  • Stumbled on this today, so it can go here. Maria McKee and SRV ripping through a Little Feat cover (second song). Delicious.   

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!