The Racing Thread of Burnin' Rubber and Being Awesome!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Nice colours, Goob.
  • Dragging the open world versus closed track discussion out of the PS4 thread.

I think it's purely down to resources. You can put great tracks in if you want. Generally open world is a poor alternative, there's maybe one track I remember from TDU. Midnight Club LA wasn't really about the tracks and I thought that was a great game. The Crew is certainly lacking in that respect. The first Horizon did have some nice tracks, but the MP was so flawed by lag and odd design decisions that none of them had a chance to stick.

Costa Sprint and the brawls in Storm Island are absolute stone cold classics though. Sega inspired classics at that. There's a reason people are still playing them and insist on certain tracks every week. I'd agree that the city circuits aren't a patch on PGR, too much street furniture - it's spectacular, but a bit too random - and the game isn't punishing or precise enough to match PGR in those sort of tracks.
  • I'm not actually that big a fan of Costa Sprint, but it is a Friday fan favourite.  Much prefer the more technical courses and the scramble/brawl tracks.  Jimi Kaido and the Amalfi coast tracks from Forza 3 would trump Costa any day.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I've been plodding through NfS Rivals to get it off my hard drive before I do the same to the rereboot, with a mixture of emotions.  The cop career is better than the racer, with some bizarre and frustrating decisions made for the banking of speed points.  The racer career is quicker to complete though, mainly because you can cheese the Interceptor events by just hitting the cop car with all your pursuit tech.  The driving is too crashy, even at low speeds, and there have been some irritating glitches, but there has been some fun to be had.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Iain, the street furniture isn't on the road so should be avoided.  Playing Horizon 2 on expert, apexs have to be respected etc I'd say is a very different beast to larking around on a Friday night.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Apropos of precisely fuck all, I've been dipping in and out of Grid 2 on Bone BC.  I find it very stressful.
  • I had a lot of fun with NFS Hot Pursuit back in the OldBox days. Reckon that was my favourite NFS title. Car chases instead of races.
  • The pinnacle of the series.  Imagine my dismay after Most Wanted came along to blight the show.
  • If HP ever got added to Bono BC I'd certainly want to give it some Friday nights. Absolutely stunning game at times.

Mmmmmm. Jimmy Kaido. The memories...
  • I've pre-ordered Assetto Corsa from amazon for the end of the month. Which I'm really excited about but can't see a thread for so presumably it's just me?

I fully expect that PGR2 would possibly disappoint today.. but in its day it was fucking perfect. The online was so sweet, The courses where fabulous, Usually I can name a few I don't like on most racing games. The car selection was brilliant in the way it was balanced and grouped together.. I used to like picking the S2000 and nailing everyone else in the Boxter because it handled better even if it wasn't out right faster.. the community was so cool.. the single player rocked.. the original xbox was probably my favourite ever console from a hardware point of view too.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Webbins wrote:
    The pinnacle of the series.  Imagine my dismay after Most Wanted came along to blight the show.
    The new one actually makes me look back at Most Wanted quite fondly. It didn't last, but there was some fun there.
  • Bob wrote:
    I've pre-ordered Assetto Corsa from amazon for the end of the month. Which I'm really excited about but can't see a thread for so presumably it's just me? I fully expect that PGR2 would possibly disappoint today.. but in its day it was fucking perfect. The online was so sweet, The courses where fabulous, Usually I can name a few I don't like on most racing games. The car selection was brilliant in the way it was balanced and grouped together.. I used to like picking the S2000 and nailing everyone else in the Boxter because it handled better even if it wasn't out right faster.. the community was so cool.. the single player rocked.. the original xbox was probably my favourite ever console from a hardware point of view too.
    The delay and subsequent silence about Assetto Corsa make me a bit nervous. The hype seems to have died right down. Returning to Forza 6 last week might have convinced me that the genre just isn't for me any more as well. Boring.

PGR2 does hold up reasonably well on the 360. A bumper remaster of the series best courses would be nice. I suspect MS is piling a lot more money into both Forza games though, so it will probably never happen.
  • I really hope there's still someone out there that believes in a pure arcade experience though. Ridge Racer, Outrun, Sega Rally, Wipeout, all dead in the water. And fuck buying a WiiU for MK. (although it does look amazing)
  • I_R wrote:
    The delay and subsequent silence about Assetto Corsa make me a bit nervous.

I'm hoping for DiRT levels of goodness after a similar PC first set up..  It sounds like they've done away with the tedious grind to buy cars.. I'm hoping for something that's just a joy to drive and time trial/race.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Wipeout

My hopes are pinned on Formula Fusion and its eventual console release.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I really hope there's still someone out there that believes in a pure arcade experience though. Ridge Racer, Outrun, Sega Rally, Wipeout, all dead in the water. And fuck buying a WiiU for MK. (although it does look amazing)

Motorstorm too :-(
  • Trackmania is probably the closest this gen, despite being a TT title.  It's horribly structured but the burning rubber part is heavy on the accelerator for most cars, the tracks are short and there's a touch of blue blue skies to the visuals.
  • I know some bloke working on a multiplayer racer, you should all play that when it's ready... :P
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • If it's not a Blur sequel then tell him to get tae.
  • Nah, this is more postman pat does Sega rally...with a bit of trackmania mixed in.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Not sure I'd enjoy playing it, but Neon Drive tickles my style chimney.

A lot of these retrowave synaesthesia-chasers remind me of Pinball Dreams. Level 5's a beaut (7:00); Super Zen colours. End-of-level cinematic drive-aways from Road Avenger.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The classic! OutRun Online 2 in Neon's style'd be a thing.

Indie games so routinely nail their looks and music, but miss big-team manpower for gameplay. PD2K's another that could really benefit from it.

• Neon Drive looks very cool. I’d buy that if it was on Xbone, but not for my phone.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Reminds me of a different other game that I used to love, but whose name now escapes me. More A rocket than a car you flew into the screen and had to jump to avoid falling down. You could speed up/ slow down and run out of fuel if too slow. Some blocks also sold you up/down. Name pls, it's annoying me!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wrong.

And I'd forgotten that I'd remembered I'd forgotten it until you rebumped the thread so yeah double screw you.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message

Or, for normal people:

• Been playing alot of F1 2016, best edition of the game codemasters have released. An absolute blast for F1 fans.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Aye, it's pretty comprehensive. I've probably played 8 hours, but I've still not finished the first career race because I've been determined not to use ABS or TC, which has been tricky because I have massive, stampy feet. So I've just been restarting the practice things and doing a lot of time-trialling to get used to it. It's supremely satisfying when you pull off a half-decent lap.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!