PC Monitors & TVs thread
  • Ive measured my wall. A 55 inch wont fit. Ffs.

Now looking at Bluetooth connection soundbars from lg as i need as fewer cables to hide as poss when i wall mount. Either a 49 inch nano 866 LG or the 48 inch oled.

So do i go £700 nano tv still with 2.1 vrr and all that guff, but with pretty average local dimming unless you completely disable it, then add a £400 dolby atmos Bluetooth soundbar and a wall bracket and still come in cheaper than the oled?

Its a dilemma
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I don’t see the point in buying a fald set if you disable local dimming, what impact would that have on HDR?

I had a local dimming set for three years and while it was noticeable for certain scenes (obviously mainly space stuff) in most films it really wasn’t obvious as most scenes are a good mix of light and dark.
  • Well ive seen YouTube videos and it’s horrendous. Local dimming is designed to make light objects pop and dark areas fade, but a lot of tvs suffer with bloom around light areas. The lg and tbf to a lesser extent the samsung both have bloom with dimming on but look perfectly fine with it off.

In s nutshell scenes with dark and bright aspects bloom in strips on the lg and circles on the samsung.

If you turn it off the blacks are more of a dark grey than black but the lighting is more uniform with no obvious bloom even around subtitles ( a great test for any back or edge lit tv)
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That being the case are you leaning more towards the OLED?

The stand is supposed to help with projecting sound and you can pair a couple of Bluetooth speakers as surrounds which is a nice idea so you may not not need to spend £400 on a sound bar. Ahh scratch that you said you are wall mounting it.

I can do a compare and contrast on the TV sound vs the sound bar, but my TV is on the stand so wouldn’t be a straight comparison.
  • Oddly i am objecting to nearly £1500 for a 48 inch oled and then a siundbar on top.

My sensible hat has come out
    PSN - minkymu
  • Now if the 48 inch cx was say £1200 maybe, but i gotta be sensible
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep it still seems crazy that the bigger is cheaper.
  • This info is probably way back up the thread, but I’m gonna ask anyway.

Do I need fancy-schmancy HDMI cables for my new TV and soundbar? It’s not 8k, HDMI 2.1, or anything daft like that. 4k TV and Dolby Atmos bar, and at the moment I have a stack of boggo cables in the cupboard. I’ll be hooking up a Mac Mini and a BoneX. Probably one of the new Xboxes in a few months.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    No

Just hi speed for 4K 60 which are most standard cables. It will literally say high speed on the side of the cable. Having recently bought a Sonos Arc it can be a problematic device but as long as you have ARC that can pass DD+ you’ll get Atmos from all streaming services.

It’s only when you get it 120hz or VRR stuff that HDMI2.1 matters.

Edit - just did a quick Amazon check and even the ultra HDMI cables aren’t stupid monies

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081NXV3ZR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_fBLFFbF14W8G2
  • 48" for 1200?! You're doing tv wrong, mate
  • For an oled thats good

We aren’t buying a jvc yano lol
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Now if the 48 inch cx was say £1200 maybe, but i gotta be sensible

Thats my target as well. Only buy a tv every 10 years or so, so i dont mind the price so much that way.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Ive measured my wall. A 55 inch wont fit. Ffs. Now looking at Bluetooth connection soundbars from lg as i need as fewer cables to hide as poss when i wall mount. Either a 49 inch nano 866 LG or the 48 inch oled. So do i go £700 nano tv still with 2.1 vrr and all that guff, but with pretty average local dimming unless you completely disable it, then add a £400 dolby atmos Bluetooth soundbar and a wall bracket and still come in cheaper than the oled? Its a dilemma

You won’t need the sound bar. The LG is very loud and the sound performance out of the box is really good. If you go down that route, I would hold off on the bar until you’ve tried it without.
  • My tv’s have always been hooked up to an external av source since the days of crt.

My current 6 year old samsung bar keeps dropping connections to the sub so its gotta be replaced.

All modern tvs sound tinny to me
    PSN - minkymu
  • poprock wrote:
    This info is probably way back up the thread, but I’m gonna ask anyway.

Do I need fancy-schmancy HDMI cables for my new TV and soundbar? It’s not 8k, HDMI 2.1, or anything daft like that. 4k TV and Dolby Atmos bar, and at the moment I have a stack of boggo cables in the cupboard. I’ll be hooking up a Mac Mini and a BoneX. Probably one of the new Xboxes in a few months.

Boris is right with all his info yet again.

I hooked up our new arc just last night and it’s incredible. We’ve upgraded from the playbar (which is still regarded as pretty great) and the increase in quality is amazing. Just run it from an hdmi with arc and it’s brilliant. We also have a sub and some Sonos fives as rears and it’s astoundingly good.

The only potential issue you may have is your ceiling heights. I’m right in thinking your rooms are like 4m high or something? If so the sound bouncing back down may not be as good as in a smaller room. Saying that, mine are around 2.9 and pitched and it still sounds great in there.

I don’t want to plop on the tv choice but I’m guessing you’ve bought it just for the aesthetics? Samsung’s aren’t too great right now anyway and the screen they use in the Frame is a fairly basic middle of the road thing that has its priced swooshed up massively because it’s inside that frame. Like you say it’ll be better than what you currently have but there’s much better bang for you buck out there and in standard 1080 stuff it won’t be that far ahead at all. My local Richer Sounds were selling off a 55 LG Oled the other day for something ridiculous like £689. JL in Leeds also have some boxed ones from a few years ago currently kicking around in store and going for hundreds as well.
  • Way to give someone buyer’s remorse.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Never heard of Sonos Arc. I took a look at it. Damn its expensive. Bet it sounds great though. If im ever in a town with a Richer Sounds shop i may pop in to heard what one of those sound like. My LG soundbar cost me £60 in a Black Friday deal a few years ago. Thats probably like comparing a tricycle to a ferrari.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If you’re going 48” TV you’d be better going with the Playbar or the Beam as the Arc is huge. Still both have great sound. Or look at some of the good 2.1 options that LG and Samsung have. Benefit of Sonos is the ecosystem.
  • … but I’m guessing you’ve bought it just for the aesthetics?

Aesthetics yes, and because we genuinely are going to use the standby/ambient art function which no other TV offers (that I’m aware of). In our next house it’s going on the wall in amongst the artworks - exactly as it’s designed to do. I’m well aware it’s not the best screen performance for the price, but that isn’t our priority.
  • Poprock, what tv does the ambient art? We need something for upstairs. That sounds cool.
  • Downside of sonos beam is only 1 hdmi and its a faff to set up to tv initially
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Downside of sonos beam is only 1 hdmi and its a faff to set up to tv initially

True, but once it's set up its awesome. Really like mine.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • poprock wrote:
    … but I’m guessing you’ve bought it just for the aesthetics?
    Aesthetics yes, and because we genuinely are going to use the standby/ambient art function which no other TV offers (that I’m aware of). In our next house it’s going on the wall in amongst the artworks - exactly as it’s designed to do. I’m well aware it’s not the best screen performance for the price, but that isn’t our priority.

The new LG's have an ambient art function. It's a pretty cool feature. Not saying that to diminish the value of your purchase, but to add that it's a good addition to have from experience.
  • Yeah, my wife loves that on ours.
  • Ah, grand. It’s not totally unique to the Frame range then. I think it was when they first launched.

Still, the Frame aesthetic is bang on for us. Flush mounting, barely-visible single wire, and the set design means it will blend in perfectly with all the existing art we own. Matches the framing style we always use.

Doubt we’ll use the subscription to curated galleries, more likely to upload our own images, but it’s a nice option to have.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Downside of sonos beam is only 1 hdmi and its a faff to set up to tv initially

Same as the Arc tbh. I do think it’s crap Sonos don’t do a HDMI pass through port. As you end up losing an HDMI. Having said that I don’t need the Apple TV plugged in anymore as I use the inbuilt app.
  • The new tv dream is over, as is any remote chance of a new next gen console this year (not that i had a pre-order).
    Ensuite bathroom shower is leaking, its 20 years old and the tiles need replacing. If it was a newer ensuite we would just do the tiles but it makes sense to redo the entire ensuite. There goes my tv money and a proportion of savings. Houses hey?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just block up the en-suite and ignore it ;-)

Not necessarily a bad thing. There’ll be more choice on TV’s and let’s face it next gen games next year.
  • You’ll use a bathroom more often than a console anyway. Right? Mayber?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!