*SPOILERS* Anything goes - The Last of Us Part II
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    Humanity was writ large in the first game to promote contemplation of loss. Here's some folk you might like. Yeah, well they're dead now! Decently handled, with some lovely apocalypse-calm levels. Dandy. But Drucko's desired reaction relies on you indulging the forcefed murder of Abby's dad, where you're supposed to think Oh shit — I killed 'im!. So if you waded in with the flamethrower to cries of 'Ave it, ya bastards! you can enjoy whatever this game has to offer. Nothing wrong with that. But going back to my first line, at that stage of the game I just wanted to talk these surgeons... GAMES WRITINGS But really it's still DOOM. Only that had a neat story about hellbeasts coming to Mars. (I guess Venus would've been a busman's.) DOOM didn't frame its events as consequence of an illusionary choice expecting me to praise, through feigned insertion, interactivity as the wind beneath its narrative wings.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Can’t believe Escape killed her dad.
    ShinyCookedAndeancondor-small.gif
    Jack.gif
    Like I said before, Abby’s Dad died in the first game. You can’t change that as a player in the second. I get your complaints, but this one is weird.

The sequel was a neatly woven revenge/redemption tale, and I'm loathe to criticise it because it's so far ahead of what most other games achieve, or even even attempt.  You don't have a say in the narrative because this particular franchise is Peter & Paul knocking on your door asking to borrow some eggs.  I don't need choices in games, it's fair to say that I dislike them on the whole (even skill trees make me sweat).  I get your complaints with the way certain aspects of the plot were handled, but they're not an issue for me, especially as I'm predisposed to give GAME WRITING far more leeway than I would films thanks to decades of codswallop.  We've had so many years of 

Should we help the villager?  
    Yes/No
    Don't be like that m8, let's help the villager anyway!

that I'm accustomed to the illusion of choice as opposed to being in control of a genuine branching narrative.  I reckon Drucko's earned himself a hearty clap on the back for blurring the lines between movies and games; it's the finest interactive tracking shot I've ever held a pad to.  

tumblr_nsozyuletQ1tu80cno2_r1_400.gifv
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    We've had so many years of  Should we help the villager?  
    Yes/No
    Don't be like that m8, let's help the villager anyway!

Ah, I see you have also played Dragon Quest.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Excellent write up. I agree with a lot of what you wrote especially around Abby vs. Ellie. I think they handled the telling of Abby’s story very well and I was willing to go along with it rather than complain that it felt forced (which is something I’ve seen in a few reviews). I get that reviewers have to be critical but sometimes I just want to be swept up in the moment and enjoy the ride. With this game I very much did. Also well done for avoiding the spoilers so long after the games release.
  • Nice read, I agree with a lot of it. Though I'm one of the few that still is not on Abby's side. At all. The killing of Joel went too far. She was loving it. Had she just slapped him around a
    little and shot him in one clean shot, then I would have been on her side by the time of the theatre fight. But the Joel thing was too much. If it was the other way around at that stage Elie wouldn't have played with her prey IMO.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • That's at the end though. I meant at the beginning,if Ellie were in Abbie's position then.
  • Well Joel just shot Abby's dad. It was quick and necessary from Joel's (right or wrong) pov. Whether she was loving it or not Abby made it last. It was going on while you playing as ellie had to find Joel. But yeah it's been nearly a year since I watched the scene maybe it's not as bad as I remember.
  • Great read Drew.

I too haven't played since launch - but I think when you start Abby's section she jolts awake.  I took that to mean she was messed up from the killing.  So maybe she didn't enjoy it per se.  Bear in mind I could be misinterpreting or misremembering.  I can't remember if she talks about it at all.

Really need to play the games again.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Good stuff Andy.

I wouldn't say Abby enjoys it so much as needs it; it's the relief that comes with release, rather than simple 'wheeee!' enjoyment, perhaps. I suspect endorphins were flowing though. She's Billy Corgan cracking a smile at the apex of a rollercoaster she didn't want to ride. The years between her father's death and the scene we're discussing could probably be condensed into a preparation montage for that one opportunity (an opportunity that she must've known was unlikely to present itself). Her actions in the moment would've been a result of what I assume would be a manic euphoria due to her all-encompassing hatred for Joel. You're not yourself when you're hungry x100000.

The whole thing is fucking brilliant, frankly. Maybe she was getting her rocks off, the nuance is actually worthy of discussion in a AAA game, for once, rather than [this character did a frown here so they are sad].
  • Great read Andy.
    Currently playing in lovely 60fps and it's just so good.
  • digi wrote:
    Great read Andy.
    Currently playing in lovely 60fps and it's just so good.
    Im thinking of replaying the first before hitting 2 again. But there are the rumours of a 1 remake....
  • I got as far as putting it in my cart on PS5 last night to replay as it's on sale but couldn't work out how to take Abe's Odyssey out of my cart.. which I can only assume was in there from being in PS+ one month? but now wants £25 for? Fuck that. and fuck you sony store.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Realy enjoyed that write up Andy. I pretty much agree with everything there especially the last part about how characters interact with the environment. The way you'll push an enemy into a wall or table to deliver a huge blow etc is just leaps ahead of other games.
  • I played Tsushima almost immediately afterwards and a chunk of the main character's head/clothes clipped through the first vent he pushed through. Back down to earth with a thud. I don't usually require perfection from things like that, but it was hard not to do the grimacing emoji so soon after TLOU2.
  • Christ even on second play through the Joel scene is just as brutal
    And even though I ended up like Abby I still
    Hate her now all over again
    The Forum Herald™
  • High five @bob
    Fuck you Boris!!!! Lol
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm waiting for the DLC where you get to play as Abby in that scene. Imagine the Dualsense stuff they could do. Adaptive triggers are gonna be interesting.
  • You might even be able to pick your club. Imagine going at Joel with a putter, very messy.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    :-D

“And she’s in the rough”
  • Why did Aby take two Joel heads onto the golf course??
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cos there was a hole in one?
  • Obviously two heads are better than one.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • This kind of puerile "humour" is par for the course with you lot. Tsk Tsk
  • Maybe Moot is talking about little head as well as big head.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I managed to avoid all spoilers other than footage shown at a couple of presentations too. I'm a whopping great Pearl Jam fan so Future Days popping up out of nowhere was pretty special for me, even though it's never been one of my favourites. Was a wow moment for me anyway. Agree with your comments on the performance.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!