The Greatest Hit 2.0 - Songs with punctuation marks in the title
  • And many may not be aware but this is very much reckoned to be RDJ -

Excellent stuff.
  • Missed the producers chat but I want to shout out The Neptunes/Pharell for just incredible work for about...30 years at this point.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Is this to do with Superfreak?

Chappelle's Show got added to Netflix today. UNITY!
  • I like a bit of Apex Twin, but I tend towards the more chilled stuff:

Gamertag: gremill
  • Avril 14th is lovely. Has it been used on an ad or anything? I noticed a while back when browsing Spotify that it had far more listens than any of his other stuff. Like a good 10x more or something.

I used to use the Ambient Works Vol2 to get to sleep in my insomniac years. It still lulls me a bit when I put it on.

My fave has to be windowlicker, but the vid for Come to Daddy is a classic:

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Avril 14th is lovely. Has it been used on an ad or anything? I noticed a while back when browsing Spotify that it had far more listens than any of his other stuff. Like a good 10x more or something.

It was used at least two or three times on Can’t Get You out of My Head. Pretty sure it’s not the first time it’s been on a Curtis doco either.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Although, I just googled it, and it seems more likely that this is the reason for its popularity.

• His piano pieces are quite Satie-esque and can be heard quite often in various places and times. This is on the same album and was used at the end of Dead Man's Shoes -

Lovely.
  • And this was another more recent piece of piano + ambience -

• Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Can't have mention of Aphex without some Analogue Bubblebath (a review of this in 2000AD of all places is what alerted me to Aphex, just in time for Selected Ambient Works Vol 1 to drop in the local record shop and blow my teenage mind).

• Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    In the 13 odd years between the Druqs and Syro albums, there were still plenty of releases like the 13 Ep Analord series, with some gems like Crying in Your Face kinda defining that 'Cornish Acid' genre sound - 

• Come on you slags! on in the car rn.
  • Will get to this thread this arvo, hopefully :sweating:
  • You have until Monday. Then it's Springsteen week.
  • I might need a month.
  • Springsteen, Aphex ain't worth my time.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Aphex got me to open this thread, Springsteen will get me to go back to ignoring it.
  • This is a good source of Aphex - https://aphextwin.warp.net//  Pretty much the full catalogue available, plus tons of bonus and previously unreleased stuff for most of the albums and EPs, check it out.
  • This is beautiful -

• I suggested Aphex Twin because I've been listening to Selected Ambient Works II a lot over the last few weeks, really great bg music to work to imo, and drift off to sleep to. #7 has always been a track that'll circulate back into my head at times over the years so that's probably going to be my pick, but he's got so many tunes for different moods that I wouldn't fault anyone's choice tbh. Gonna drop a few of my faves, sorry for the spam, although there's loads of his stuff I haven't heard either (it's great to know there's so much more to dig into, not even as Aphex Twin or RDJ). I think in general I prefer his older stuff or ambient stuff to the breakcorey kinda stuff, but again it's whatever mood I'm in.

Could have so many tunes from this album it's hard to pick one, but today it's this:

Love this one:

One to rouse you:

A classic, never lost my shit in a field to this but would love to:

Better tracks on this album for sure but the 'come on you cunt let's have some Aphex acid' at 2:49 was regularly shouted at uni, particularly when driving around Nottingham in my mate's Kevscort:

...but yeah, been really into Selected Ambient Works II lately and the 'soundscapes' (if you'll excuse me) he makes on that album just linger and keep returning at random times, so as strange as it may seem, I'm going to finish by dropping a few from it, with my pick for the best Aphex track #7 at the end:

...and the daddy, used to enjoy walking back through central London late at night after a long day at work, this in the ears, a drizzle of rain as you shuffle past the drunks and degenerates, streetlights and shop fronts lighting up the rain soaked paving. It's unsurprising that it's been used in stuff like Jam and the Curtis docs, really creepy and stays in my head for days. I could wake up with this in my head tomorrow, presumably from some dream I'll have later tonight. Brilliant stuff:

#7 for me pls Moot, mark it down.

• This is a good source of Aphex - https://aphextwin.warp.net//  Pretty much the full catalogue available, plus tons of bonus and previously unreleased stuff for most of the albums and EPs, check it out.

Bookmarked, cheers.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Aphex got me to open this thread, Springsteen will get me to go back to ignoring it.

This. But y'know, different strokes and all that - 2 geniuses at completely different ends of the musical spectrum.
  • Amazing interview:

'half an hour' :D
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Better tracks on this album for sure but the 'come on you cunt let's have some Aphex acid' at 2:49 was regularly shouted at uni, particularly when driving around Nottingham in my mate's Kevscort...but yeah, been really into Selected Ambient Works II lately and the 'soundscapes' (if you'll excuse me) he makes on that album just linger and keep returning at random times

I was at Notts Trent Uni around that time too (graduated in '99) :D 

SAWI will always be my favourite for being my intro to Aphex but SAWII is special in a whole other way. When it came out I remember reading how Aphex was sleeping in his studio and using lucid dreaming or something to help with the composition – whether that's true or partof the usual bullshit mythos he likes to spin is part of the whole appeal too.
  • There's so many mad myths and trivia about him, like I think he bought a tank at some point and would drive about the lanes where he lived. And he lived in an old bank vault or something for a bit or had a studio there. Can't be bothered to fact check though, more fun not to know the truth :P
  • Vastik wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Better tracks on this album for sure but the 'come on you cunt let's have some Aphex acid' at 2:49 was regularly shouted at uni, particularly when driving around Nottingham in my mate's Kevscort...but yeah, been really into Selected Ambient Works II lately and the 'soundscapes' (if you'll excuse me) he makes on that album just linger and keep returning at random times
    I was at Notts Trent Uni around that time too (graduated in '99) :D  SAWI will always be my favourite for being my intro to Aphex but SAWII is special in a whole other way. When it came out I remember reading how Aphex was sleeping in his studio and using lucid dreaming or something to help with the composition – whether that's true or partof the usual bullshit mythos he likes to spin is part of the whole appeal too.

Ah I started at Trent in 2001, had a great time. Used to enjoy going to the Namco arcade in market square.
  • Changing my picks from Selected Ambient Works I (which is my go-to when wanting something more beaty than Selected Ambient Works II) to these.

Regularly round my noggin of a morning, one of those openings that just circles:

and...

I mean, SAI is the more accessible album for sure, and listening to it now I'm like 'all of these are bangers, this is his best album for sure', but SAII lingers, it's odd and strange and I don't know why I like it so much. I think it hit people for six on release? Folks expecting actual beats on the record when they got (as Vastik said) an album of ambient, beautiful, nightmarish sounds that were (so he says) made from sounds he picked up from lucid dreaming. It's a great work in my book and I think it's received much higher praise in the years since than on release.
  • So, still #7 from SAII for me, but man what a choice to make.
  • Xtal is great.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!