The Greatest Hit 2.0 - One song and why
  • So many tunes could easily win the 'best', this is one of those ones where there's no winner I think.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Xtal is great.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    So many tunes could easily win the 'best', this is one of those ones where there's no winner I think.
    Yup, really tough to choose.

I frequented that Namco arcade a lot, the one in Hockley too. The student bar at Trent always had a good fighter when I was there too (SF Alpha and Marvel vs Capcom I think), happy days.
  • I think Windowlicker is the only Aphex track with two official votes, so we'll go with that.  Good week.

Springsteen time.
  • It's this for me, and it's almost a shame that nothing has the faintest hope of touching it as my first runner up would be a deserved winner too.  

Runners up:

Nebraska is easily my fave Bossman album and this is the best track on it:

It took years for this one to slow burn its way up the list.  It's another non-strut Bruce track but I reckon I could still knee slide to it if they weren't covered in goosebumps:

Favourite foot tappy track.  It pretty much double drops:

The rest of the top ten would be huge too.  Darkness on the Edge of Town gets the nod for 2nd fave album.
  • I'm expecting big energy from Reg, Face and Dante this week, don't let me down.
  • Also: When you buy a various artists charity album for one track and it pays off. 

• Dancing in the Dark probably. Although the whole of Born in the USA is brilliant.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Thunder Road is a song that gets better as Springsteen gets older. The original recording just doesn't have the same oomph in his voice. I think it's partly a production thing, but it's a rare case for me of preferring the live version.
  • I'm having "we learned more from a three minute record baby than we ever learned in school" from No Surrender as my peak Boss the Showman lyrics.  Heartfelt exuberance with a slight whiff of Partridge.  Feed me.
  • I'm looking forward to checking out the suggestions here. I've wanted to properly explore Springsteen for a while now.

For now, my rather obvious choices would be Dancing in the Dark and I'm on Fire. Absolutely love the sound production of the later.
  • Thunder Road is a song that gets better as Springsteen gets older. The original recording just doesn't have the same oomph in his voice. I think it's partly a production thing, but it's a rare case for me of preferring the live version.

Agree.  The studio version just doesn't reach the levels.  Which is a shame as the rest of the album sounds great.
  • Playing the pinball like a boss.
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well hello there.

What I love about Springsteen is as he has got older, he's actually gone harder in his music, especially live. There's times he looks like a wee punk rocker up there in his all black get up.

Let's get started with the track from his most recent works that made it in to my top list, Wrecking Ball. Live it is something else, just an absolutely raucous wall of noise. The recorded version gets close. If you've ever been to a Catholic Church "race night" fundraiser, this is what they all descend to.

Then for a change of pace, one that sometimes gets overlooked, but it's a real beautiful song with... a mandolin solo?
    Atlantic City it is. He did this at his home on a a 4 track. Mental.

My pal Ryan talks about how this next one basically summed up a very unhappy relationship he was in years back, and it's all disguised in the Born In The USA pop machine. Catchy as all feck. I'm Goin' Down

Magic is not one of Springsteen's best albums, but it sure opens with an absolute banger, and channels that punk sensibility I get from older Springsteen. Radio Nowhere is like a song Green Day wished they had on American Idiot.

Springsteen's response to 9/11, The Rising, was when I first really got into him, and started digging through my parents' vinyls. The title track is probably the best remembered, but man, Waiting On A Sunny Day is just an absolute blast of pop.

And I can keep going but I'll finish for there with one more as I have work to do! I think the one that will win for me is The River, specifically the one from the Live 1975-85 album with his introductory anecdote about going for the Vietnam War draft. When the harmonica kicks in, I get chills every time.

• There it is. Big fan of that version of The River too. I can't really play the harmonica but I do own three and can muddle through that solo reasonably well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thunder Road for me.

I liked that album he did called the Seeger sessions. Kind of a folksy Americana thing.

Wifey has the vinyl boxset of the E-Street Band Live 75-85.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dancing in the Dark wins for me.

Shouts to Born in the USA and Streets of Philidelphia.
  • Bruce Springsteen is a weird one. Everything says I should like him but I really struggle to connect with any of his songs.

That is with one exception, Dancing in the Dark. When I'd come home from the pub, I'd always put this on and fall asleep listening to it on repeat. It's pretty much one of my favourite songs.

Yeah it's obvious but I pretty much love everything about it and will even entertain dodgy covers of it because I think it's that good.

Looking forward to listening to some of the suggestions in here to see if he finally clicks.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:
    Bruce Springsteen is a weird one. Everything says I should like him but I really struggle to connect with any of his songs. That is with one exception, Dancing in the Dark. When I'd come home from the pub, I'd always put this on and fall asleep listening to it on repeat. It's pretty much one of my favourite songs. Yeah it's obvious but I pretty much love everything about it and will even entertain dodgy covers of it because I think it's that good. Looking forward to listening to some of the suggestions in here to see if he finally clicks.

I think most of us have these sort of artists.  Van Morrison and Bill Callahan are in there for me.  Whenever I read about them I come away ready to immerse myself in the back catalogue, then I listen and think 'this is okay'.
  • davyK wrote:
    I liked that album he did called the Seeger sessions. Kind of a folksy Americana thing.

One of his best.  He seemed to have plenty of fun on the road with it too. 

• Q. What do you get if you turn his most stripped down, intimate and perfect album into a full gusto live set?

A:

Doesn't touch the original release but it's a worthwhile alternative. 

There's not much to it but this is worth a read:

41BNxu8wXPL._SX342_SY445_QL70_ML2_.jpg

I probably wouldn't advise anyone to start with Nebraska but it's top 10 from anyone ever for me.
  • One more post...

Proof that bangers can be slowed down without it sounding like someone's trying to sell you a sofa in black & white:

• So I absolutely love Cadillac Ranch... But it's better live than on the record. The more up tempo live version gives me some Elton John vibes too.

I think my recommendation for Bruce Springsteen might well be "Go and see him live".
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    He and the E Street are also a fantastic cover band live. Imagine them as your wedding band.

I've seen this one live 3 times and it just absolutely goes places.

This one technically isn't a cover but The Gaslight Anthem are basically a Springsteen tribute band so it's an ouroboros

There's two official Spotofy playlists, "Songs Under Cover" vol 1 and 2 with more.
  • I've always wondered why the records are Bruce Springsteen, and concerts are Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Shit, seeing Morello on the Staying Alive cover reminded me of High Hopes the album and the absolute number he did on The Ghost of Tom Joad, completely transforming it. If you're a Rage fan, you'll dig where this goes.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've always wondered why the records are Bruce Springsteen, and concerts are Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band.

Some of his albums are solo efforts, and the E Street Band don't always feature on all tracks. They're all there for the gig.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Wrong Way (Down a One-Way Street).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!