The House & Garden Plants Thread
  • I give no fucks about your Binsar tree.
  • This thread is now about etc. etc.
  • My binsar tree makes yours look like a weed
  • That orchid is beautiful.

Thanks! I like how the green back of the flowers pops with the pink
  • In Berlin most  of the plant shops are pretty standard affairs where you have the same mass produced plants available. But two are different- one particularly so- in that they sell exclusively rare or uncommon plants. This is great because after a while of collecting you start to tire of the same leaf shapes over and over again, so having something a bit unusual that stands out becomes especially desirable.  Anyway, due to the lockdown which has now come into force, both of these plants had to clear all their stock in two days, which meant everything was at least 50% off. I'm devastated that I only found out about this yesterday, as I missed the chance to get some things that I would never normally be able to afford, but I still added half a dozen uncommon plants to my collection at a silly low price and it's given me a fresh burst of love for my living space. Will upload pics once I have reordered my room to accommodate them all in a way that feels balanced. 

At some point I'm going to have to get into trading rare cuttings. It's the only logical way to progress further, and seems to be what most of the collectors do. get a rare plant, propagate it, then trade the node for another one you don't have,  repeat. Unfortunately it will be a while before I can afford to get started, but it's something to look forward to in the distant future.

Your orchid will probably grow taller.  Just don't be tempted to ditch it when it goes into its dead stick phase.  It's just sleeping.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Mine's been in its dead stick phase for two years now. When can I accept that it is, in fact, a dead stick?

Your orchid will probably grow taller.  Just don't be tempted to ditch it when it goes into its dead stick phase.  It's just sleeping.

After it did the first flower from when I bought it and went into hibernation I clipped it back as that's what seemed to be recommended from what I read. But I wonder if I clipped it too far back for it to grow tall and whether I need to leave at least one stalk to grow taller for next flower.

Everything is doing very well at the moment. Had some good weather for growth with sunshine and rain. It'll soon be time to eat fresh produce!

W8VPnet.jpg

Iz5vX0q.jpg

WwwiluK.jpg
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    You get that from Wish?

My local plant shop sells these orchids

20201001-_DSC8850.jpg

I don't think flowers fit the look i'm going for with my room but i do really like these leaves

That's a jewel orchid. Ludisia genus.
    I've a few pups rooting. I'll post you one out (ludisa discolour) in the new year if you want. They're v cute and like all orchids will only flower if everything is perfect and established

Edit: shit, brexit, arghhhh, no EU plant passports.

Anyway lemmie know if you want one.
    I promised Rouj some succulent baby like a year ago, sorry chief will get this to you too! @roujin

This year I've an abundance of avocado plants and my eldest one is nearly bigger than the window it's in. Gonna plant it in the local park, haha this may kill it, we'll see.

I'm up for some guerilla horticulture this year.

I have thousands of tobacco seeds to sow so after sprouting I'll be moving some to the park to see how they get on too. Though my indoor one is like seven foot so these may get some interest from the local friends of the park group
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    This is probably a stupid question, but if you have a plant inside near the window, will the sunlight it receives be just as effective as when it's outside?

We got a plumeria from the neighbours when we moved here, and it's start losing the leaves. I've already moved it to a bigger container, used better draining soil and give less water. It seems to have trouble since we got really rough winds about a month ago. Temperatures at night are around 5-7°C, so I'm thinking of bringing this one inside till Spring. Will leave it near a window for sunlight, but hoping that's enough to keep it alive
  • beano wrote:
    I promised Rouj some succulent baby like a year ago, sorry chief will get this to you too! @roujin

Don't worry about it, no rush boss man.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Nice one roujin. Err same address as you were at?

Nina I'd bring that in but not worry about the dropping leaves, spring time it should show new growth. The glass will dampen the light but it'll be warmer through the day indoors when it is light, I've a few plants I put on one windowsill before bed so they get the dawn sun and shit in the afternoon so they get the evening sun.

All my plants are quite choppy this time of year as it's just not light or warm enough ... Can be quite stressful but do your best
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Nah, new one now, just DM me and I'll give you the address. No rush though!!!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Took it inside yesterday, thanks Beano.

Also need to figure out what I'm gonna do with my tiny Christmas tree. The card says it should be fine in a container (current one is too small though) and it can grow 4-5 feet. Which is bigger than I want to deal with
  • Unc/Eric/Anyone with gardening knowledge. I have a acer tree to move from back garden to front. Its 175cm tall and the trunk is around 19cm thick though only for 20cm then it splits into its branches.

The original hole that was due for it when it was planted last January was 100cm in diameter. If i dig up that same hole will that suffice? Or would i be cutting off some of the acer's roots by doing so? Do i need to go wider? Is this a job for a professional and any idea on cost? I dont mind doing the work, just dont want to kill the Acer permanently.
  • So has the tree just been in a year Dino?
  • Yes in the wrong place. When we moved i had it put near the bushes but the bushes are gone now (more garden space). So now it looks out of place in the middle of the grass with no shade of its own.
  • If it only been in a year you could most likely just yank it out (don’t though!).  So yeah just find the rootball and dig near it and under it and it’ll pop out just fine.
  • Cheers unc. Thats reassuring.
  • What's the point of the plastic sheet that's under the wood chips and pebbles in the borders of my garden?

Is it not really bad for the birds and insects? The poor worms won't be able to get through it.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Stops the weeds from growing through
  • It certainly doesn't in my garden. They just grow in the pebbles and wood chips instead
  • Weeds are gonna weed. It's amazing how resilient and sneaky they are.

So whilst all my beans seem to have died (combination of some cold days followed by scorching 40degree sun perhaps?) some of my other plants are doing quite including this guy:
    UN0935F.jpg

Very exciting!!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ooh!

I'm just happy my poinsettias are still alive. I'm hands off for anything outside, I'm sure it's dying.
  • Had to google poinsettia. Looks nice! You'll have to post a pic.
  • I've been losing a plant a week since mid December. Half the losses have been feeble freebies that I fortunately didn't care too much about, but I also lost a couple of my favourites too. I guess this will happen every winter with a north facing window.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    My poinsettias are still alive and doing quite well.

And my plumeria that was without leaves has grown at least 10 leaves, some pretty big already. Think there are flowers on the way as well.

Still too cold at night to be really thinking about the garden, although the nasturtiums usually have a few flowers going so that is nice.

Question:
    There's some roses around our grass. Each bush has a least two or three random other plants growing there and I feel they're taking to much nutrients etc from the roses. The gardeners that are supposed to come every week don't really do anything about it. Is it worth it to try and cut down / dig out the non - rose plants? One even has something like a palm growing in the same place. I don't really want to dive in the thorns if it's not gonna do anything without digging out the whole bush.

When asked about the garden the landlord said I could use the raised area I've been using for my own things, but the area around the grass was being done by the gardeners. It's a bit random how everything is planted, but I wouldn't mind getting healthier roses.
  • I wanna see Nozy's jungle
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • My jungle has taken a beating recently. The problems began when my flatmate got me a plant, which was a very nice gesture but I was reluctant to accept it. My concern was it looked to be the type of plant that would be grown in large quantities in one of those giant, loosely regulated greenhouses, which are notorious for being ways that pests get into the home. I tentatively voiced my anxiety, which was roundly mocked by all my flatmates. My main worry was that I'd end up with thrips, which can be a nightmare to get rid of. Everyone told me I was being paranoid, so I welcomed the plant into my collection. 

1 month later suddenly thrips are everywhere. Judging by where the largest number of these cunt insects are located it's clear the new addition is the point of origin. It's crazy how fast these bastards can destroy things, and I'm struggling to keep on top of it. Most advice I can find online is frustratingly middle class, saying  things like 'It's important to keep your affected plants isolated in a different room'. Fucking great. I have 60 plants.  It's not possible to arrange these in a way that they aren't all touching each other.

I tried the 'natural' approach first, using neem oil, which achieved fuck all. I don't think it killed a single one. So I have had to adopt the toxic chemical approach, which surprisingly smells a lot nicer. Anyway, again the advice is middle class. 'take your plants into the garden to spray them' etc. Sadly an open window and face mask will have to do.

This has been a massive task, taking each plant into the bathroom, spraying it front and back, up and down, letting it dry, then repeating with the others. Each cycle takes me a whole day. And then there's the cost! 15 euro per bottle, and I'm onto my third bottle now. 

This has been going on long enough to the point where I'm having to consider throwing plants away, just so it's possible to have a fractionally more of a buffer between each one. Pretty gutted about it to be honest.
  • At the back of my room I have two really large plants, 2.5m+ high each, with a lot of leaf surface area. I can't find any evidence the thrips have managed to get this far into my room, but if they do I will probably need 3 bottles of spray just to do one plant. It would really break my heart if this happened. I couldn't afford to treat it and would have to throw it out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!