FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    It was on this afternoon.
    The full Briggs trilogy of Father Christmas, Snowman and Snowman & The Snowdog.

Father Christmas remains bloomin marvelous.

I much prefer to watch When the Wind Blows at Christmas.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Is ground hog day a Christmas movie?

No. I think Groundhog Day is some time in February. But we sometimes add it to our lineup along with that other not-Christmas movie Trains, Plains and Automobiles.
    Get schwifty.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    It was on this afternoon. The full Briggs trilogy of Father Christmas, Snowman and Snowman & The Snowdog. Father Christmas remains bloomin marvelous.
    I much prefer to watch When the Wind Blows at Christmas.

Good shout.  Will pitch that as the sequel.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Snowman is a lovely little treat it has to be said.

I also like watching the sleigh ride that BBC has shown this last few years. I could watch it for hours - would love to doze off and wake up and have it still on. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Snowman is great. I think Father Christmas was okay, but didn't make such a good film adaptation - the book is lovely.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I despise The Snowman and I can’t quite put my finger on why.

I despise you and I know exactly why.
  • Is ground hog day a Christmas movie?

It takes place on the second of Feb, but I would deffo call it something wanky like xmas-adjacent as there is a lot of snow, and it's about learning to be nice to others and it's heartwarming in the end.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Whilst not specifically a christmassy story, a couple of years ago the BBC did a tv version of the panto 'peter pan gone wrong' which was brilliant, and you should watch if they repeat some time this year. A fun bit of family viewing if you want to add something newer to the list.
    They then did a similar thing with christmas carol a year later but it wasn't nearly as good.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • If we're including TV, then I'll recommend the Father Ted Christmas episode (followed by as many other episodes as possible because it's Father Ted).
  • Xmas TV specials off the top of my head.

The Office UK
    Royle Family
    Futurama (the whole evil robot santa thing is excellent)
    Black Mirror
    Tales from the Crypt: And all through the house
    Bottom: Holy
    Peep Show (the one with the painful Xmas dinner)
    League of Gentlemen
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Forgot about the Office UK - will add to the list.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Office Christmas special is great for many reasons, not least of all the ending - it's become too popular with writers to not have a good old ending with resolution like that. The Extras special had a great ending too - that monologue stopped me watching the early rounds of talent shows on TV.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Peep Show is a great recent addition to the fold. It really demonstrates how other people - like my wife - do Christmas wrong.

• davyK wrote:
    Office Christmas special is great for many reasons, not least of all the ending - it's become too popular with writers to not have a good old ending with resolution like that. The Extras special had a great ending too - that monologue stopped me watching the early rounds of talent shows on TV.

I'll agree with all the Davy.  The Christmas special is absolutely perfectly judged and that final monologue from Extras was just just astounding.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I despise The Snowman and I can’t quite put my finger on why.
    I despise you and I know exactly why.

YIKES!
  • Around this time of year, I watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Love that movie.
    Strangely Dumb and Dumber also.

But the main list is this :
    Jingle All the Way
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
    Die Hard
    Die Hard 2 (the more Christmassy and better one!!!)
    Home Alone 1 & 2
    Muppets Christmas Carol (on Christmas morning opening the gifts)
    Jack Frost (NOT the Michael Keaton movie)
    Christmas with the Kranks
    4 Christmases
    Deck the Halls
    The Grinch
    Polar Express
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    The Wrong Trousers (although that's also in the running for the best film full stop).
  • Just a tiny amount...
  • Avoid Christmas Chronicle 2.

Fuck me, you weren't wrong.  That was dire.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Avoid Christmas Chronicle 2.

Fuck me, you weren't wrong.  That was dire.

It certainly wasn't as good as the first one. Too much needless action - there were bits that reminded me of the spoof "The night the reindeer died" movie in Scrooged.
  • It was just awful.  Too long, too much Elf shit, not enough humour, entire scenes repeated, redemption arc utterly without merit - he was just a little shit because he was, not because he lost his fucking dad.  Fuck this film and fuck Christmas.  Where's my beer?
  • Muppets Christmas Carol is our top choice. Watched it every Xmas Eve since it came out.

Griswolds has also been a tradition. Arthur Christmas has become a regular in more recent years.

Always like White Christmas but the missus isn't so keen so it makes fewer appearances.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    that final monologue from Extras was just just astounding.

It reeked to me of a speech Gervais had daydreamed about delivering on Celebrity Big Brother, shoehorned in so that he didn't have to appear on it; because fair enough.

I despise The Snowman and I can’t quite put my finger on why.

As a kid I laughed at Nicola for crying during a school showing, thinking it mawkish with the clear vision of youth. But who's crying now?!

Same as When the Wind Blows, they trigger half-forgotten memories that make me sad. Father Christmas was always disappointing, though, and what a shame given its ingredients.

Children's Film Foundations bring me nowt but joy, strangely, in their summer showers of craptacularness. The Battle of Billy's Pond's the champ, although Sammy's Super T-Shirt's a popular nomination. From wrong people.

I'll accept...

• jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Wow... Is that the one with the cable car incident? I was really terrified watching that back in the day. I remember the T-shirt one, but less sure about the pond. Also vaguely remember one with RC planes being used to smuggle stuff over the channel and children intercepting it with dart-shooting planes?
  • I watched Christmas Vacation the other night. Still great. I have a lot more sympathy for Chevy Chase now though. 
    I also put Elf on last night for the childers and...its kinda shit. Im not a big fan. I dont get the cult following. Watching it made me want to wathc Bad Santa for some reason.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • The Grinch (the new animated one based off Horton and the Who's) - it's really well done
    Scrooged - it's a classic you've probably seen it
    Die Hard - best action christmas movie 
    Christmas Town - it's a soppy romantic film but it's really nice 
    Muppets Christmas Carol - great fun
    Nightmare before Christmas - clever and artistically brilliant
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • So happy to see Scrooged get so much love, that’s a massive family favourite growing up.

With the kids the last few years it’s been a mix of oldies and new stuff. We all love Father Christmas (bloooomin’ christmas) and Mickey’s Christmas Carol gets put on repeat a lot. I also love old Disney cartoons (Pluto and the Christmas tree, ice skating with Mickey etc) since that’s what we had a lot on VHS.

My wife loves that Ron Howard Grinch film which I always thought was MENTAL, I liked the old cartoon but kids much prefer the new Grinch illumination film (which I think is quite underrated, it’s a very sweet film).

Nightmare before Christmas is an absolute must though, I loved it growing up and still remember my dad taking me and my brothers to see it when it came out. There’s so much heart in that film.
  • A minor defence of elf - its worth bearing in mind its very much aimed as a kids/ family movie. I think in this regard it punches above its weight and will ferrell was still very much an unknown at least as much as movies went at the time. As a movie its fine, nothing too amazing, but as a Christmas family movie its top tier.

One of my best Xmas experiences was when a bunch of us went to see it at the teeling distillery one Christmas. Lovely atmosphere, nice whiskey, people singing along. Sure, not the greatest movie by any stretch but wonderful for Christmas.
    SFV - reddave360
  • @Cosmic
    Might be worth adding The Art of Skiing with Goofy into the Disney cartoons mix. I love that Art of... series.

I had forgotten about Krampus. A decent comedy/horror to mix things up a bit.
  • Elf is great! I thought it was pretty funny... and the kids loved it.

Oh yeah I love that goofy cartoon! Never thought about that one, added.

And krampus is fantastic I should watch that again this year.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!