Time Travel
  • Time is a human construct that is accepted by 99% of all human cultures. Though there are a few remote tribes who see past, present and future as one in the same therefore their lexicon has developed without past and future tenses. If i can find the link again i will post it. Was a fascinating read.
  • Brian cox does a lovely demo of how we all experience time difference even in the same room. Look it up on youtube.
    PSN - minkymu
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Brian Cant has entered the chat

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Is Bill Murray actually time travelling though in Groundhog Day? 

He certainly doesn't travel back to the same timeline every day, because he would see the version of himself that was already there, and also he has some form of immortality, when he dies, he wakes up again at the start of the day. 

I put it to you that the consciousness of Bill Murray is actually moving between parallel dimensions whenever he enters an unconscious state. What is the cause of this anomoly? How the fuck should I know, do I look like Patrick Stewart going through my adevntures in the later seasons of TNG? What I do know is that there is a clear pattern of rules that govern when his consciousness moves into another parallel dimension, which implies an element of artificial interference in the space/time continuum which he experiences locally when he dies or goes to sleep.

We can possibly extrapolate a bit futher based on our own societal understandings of what happens to Bill Murray's character. There is a condition which has to be met, in order for his life to return to normal, and on top of that, although he is free to roam within a given area of space time, he is trapped there, in essence, his freedom is being withheld until a particular criteria has been met. 

I conclude with my theory: Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, will go on to commit some kind of galactic level crime at some point after February 2nd 1993. A crime for which he is clearly caught and brought to justice for, but a crime so grievous in scale, that he is sentenced to a period of indefinite imprisonment to reform his character until such time as he no longer carries out the atrocity in the future.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Nah. He's just stuck on a level in a videogame. to beat this level, you must bang McDowell before 6am.
    Infinite lives, no mid level saves.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Roujin wrote:
    Is Bill Murray actually time travelling though in Groundhog Day?  He certainly doesn't travel back to the same timeline every day, because he would see the version of himself that was already there, and also he has some form of immortality, when he dies, he wakes up again at the start of the day.  I put it to you that the consciousness of Bill Murray is actually moving between parallel dimensions whenever he enters an unconscious state. What is the cause of this anomoly? How the fuck should I know, do I look like Patrick Stewart going through my adevntures in the later seasons of TNG? What I do know is that there is a clear pattern of rules that govern when his consciousness moves into another parallel dimension, which implies an element of artificial interference in the space/time continuum which he experiences locally when he dies or goes to sleep. We can possibly extrapolate a bit futher based on our own societal understandings of what happens to Bill Murray's character. There is a condition which has to be met, in order for his life to return to normal, and on top of that, although he is free to roam within a given area of space time, he is trapped there, in essence, his freedom is being withheld until a particular criteria has been met.  I conclude with my theory: Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, will go on to commit some kind of galactic level crime at some point after February 2nd 1993. A crime for which he is clearly caught and brought to justice for, but a crime so grievous in scale, that he is sentenced to a period of indefinite imprisonment to reform his character until such time as he no longer carries out the atrocity in the future.
    He's going back into his old body with his new consciousness. Like Quantum Leap. 
    Quantum Leap spoilers - It was revealed in the final episode that Sam Beckett had been leaping himself around the whole time, and therefore unknowingly deciding himself when his job was done at the end of each episode. So maybe Murray is his own captor and knows when he's made enough progress to leave the loop.
  • Quantum Leap is an interesting concept of cause and effect in itself - Sam is time-travelling not to make changes but to keep the status-quo of his own timeline's future.

edit: I guess it implies that in QL all time is happening simultaneously as one large structure rather than a linear progression.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    do I look like Patrick Stewart going through my adevntures in the later seasons of TNG?

Only if it's in flashback with the toupee.

Quantum Leap is an interesting concept

I think Darkplace is the most significant televisual event since.
  • Where is Dean Learner when you need him?
  • Okay. So with Quantum Leap - where does it all begin re cause and effect?

Taking the Al episode as an example (where Sam leaps into Al and has to save him)...

1. Al is a pivotal person in setting up the Quantum Leap project as we know it up to this episode, however if Sam was responsible for saving his life via that project, is this not a paradox?
    2. Did the whole universe instantly change the moment Sam made that first leap? It seems that he is simultaneously at all points in history that he leaps to, causing an immediate ripple effect in 4D spacetime (hence the constantly changing probabilities being calculated).
    3. Therefore, was the Quantum Leap project actually developed in partnership with the English guy who replaces Al in that one episode, but as soon as Sam leaps, it's inevitable that Al will be saved and so history and his memory changes.

Alternative theory:

Is Sam actually leaping to work against a malign influence seeking to corrupt history? Is there another unseen leaper working as an antagonist and Sam gas to fix things? So re saving Al, Al was always supposed to live, but another time traveller attempted to change history by having him killed and that's why Sam leaps into him.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m skipping past this because I’ve not seen the end of Quantum Leap. Still hoping it shows up on Netflix at some point, I’d watch the shit out of it.
  • Okay. So with Quantum Leap - where does it all begin re cause and effect? Taking the Al episode as an example (where Sam leaps into Al and has to save him)... 1. Al is a pivotal person in setting up the Quantum Leap project as we know it up to this episode, however if Sam was responsible for saving his life via that project, is this not a paradox? 2. Did the whole universe instantly change the moment Sam made that first leap? It seems that he is simultaneously at all points in history that he leaps to, causing an immediate ripple effect in 4D spacetime (hence the constantly changing probabilities being calculated). 3. Therefore, was the Quantum Leap project actually developed in partnership with the English guy who replaces Al in that one episode, but as soon as Sam leaps, it's inevitable that Al will be saved and so history and his memory changes. Alternative theory: Is Sam actually leaping to work against a malign influence seeking to corrupt history? Is there another unseen leaper working as an antagonist and Sam gas to fix things? So re saving Al, Al was always supposed to live, but another time traveller attempted to change history by having him killed and that's why Sam leaps into him.

Answer that Yoss must not read...
    Spoiler:
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Ignore this too Yoss:
    Spoiler:
  • Okay. So with Quantum Leap - where does it all begin re cause and effect? Taking the Al episode as an example (where Sam leaps into Al and has to save him)... 1. Al is a pivotal person in setting up the Quantum Leap project as we know it up to this episode, however if Sam was responsible for saving his life via that project, is this not a paradox? 2. Did the whole universe instantly change the moment Sam made that first leap? It seems that he is simultaneously at all points in history that he leaps to, causing an immediate ripple effect in 4D spacetime (hence the constantly changing probabilities being calculated). 3. Therefore, was the Quantum Leap project actually developed in partnership with the English guy who replaces Al in that one episode, but as soon as Sam leaps, it's inevitable that Al will be saved and so history and his memory changes. Alternative theory: Is Sam actually leaping to work against a malign influence seeking to corrupt history? Is there another unseen leaper working as an antagonist and Sam gas to fix things? So re saving Al, Al was always supposed to live, but another time traveller attempted to change history by having him killed and that's why Sam leaps into him.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • I did love QL way back when, but it's a little too interested in the minute social history of the US. I always liked the future bits and the time travel aspects which they only delved into now and again.
  • i loved QL back in the day, but i don't seem to recall any of what you're all talking about in the final series/episode...so i'm starting to wonder if i missed it. I do recall it made the news when it was announced it was being cancelled as some fans protested at the studio and it's the first i'd ever heard of anything like that happening.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I don't think I even knew it was the final one when I was watching it until right at the end when it became obvious.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m skipping past this because I’ve not seen the end of Quantum Leap. Still hoping it shows up on Netflix at some point, I’d watch the shit out of it.

Just dont watch the last episode. Ever.
  • Last eps great whatchoo on about.
  • Sliders is the real champ lads.
  • Re Monkey and Tin's spoilers - I honestly had no idea about that. I thought I'd watched that show until the end.
  • monkey wrote:
    Last eps great whatchoo on about.
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!