The 3DS Thread
  • I see. 

If we are going by dates of first and last game purchases around their broad release dates, probably PS1 for me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Actually no, it’s easily 3DS. Followed by Vita if we count Limited Run games.
  • 3DS for me.  We're in the right place o/
  • Oh wait, Vita's a good shout.  I've still got my eye on two games for that, so it's not over yet.
  • I had a PC that I was getting new games on for something like a decade without upgrading, does that count?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Actually no, it’s easily 3DS.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    3DS for me.  We're in the right place o/

I find it oddly impressive.

I'm a big fan of the 3DS and along with the PS3 its been my favourite system post N64, aka adult life.

My top systems didn't last anywhere near as long though. SNES for example I got in June 92 and the last game I purchased new was Christmas 1996. MD, N64 and PSone are all in a 4-6 year range tops.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • AJ wrote:
    I had a PC that I was getting new games on for something like a decade without upgrading, does that count?

Why not! Out of interest what era was it? What specs it roughly have?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think I got it around '99 and it was a  3.4 GHz Pentium 4 with a Radeon 9700 Pro, but my memory's a little fuzzy. Had an insane amount of RAM, as I also used it for video/effects/3D. Can't remember the actual amount, but 2-4GB seems likely.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    My bad, I didn't do the best explaining myself tbf.

I think there's a worthy thread on this topic, what console gave you the most mileage.

I can't be bothered though.

I think it came up in the Sins of the Silicon thread. Well, longest lived machines, anyway. I think at the top were Atari 2600 and Neo Geo AES, both with more than a decade of official releases. Whether or not someone bought a 2600 in 1977 and the last game in 1992 is a different question.

This ignores stuff like the Famicom, which stopped getting new games but the hardware continued to be produced for years afterwards, and the bizarre Master System situation in Brazil.

Personally it probably is 3DS. I got one about a year after launch, and I just bought Wario Ware Gold, and have few other games on the "to buy" list. If I buy a new release for it in 2019 it'll definitely be my longest lived system. Honorable mentions should probably go to original DS (thanks to Pokemon Conquest) and the first PlayStation.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Got my coral pink 3ds with Kid Icarus, so that must have been March 2012 or a bit after that.

I'm still waiting on a date for Luigi's Mansion. Wario Ware is tempting but I don't have the money now.

Think Nintendo did a pretty good job with keeping the hardware fresh. New 3ds is a nice piece of hardware, and I like the look of the 2dsXL so much that I'm playing with the idea of getting an US one, so I can actually buy some games I skipped. That's still a stupid thing, region locking their handheld.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    That's still a stupid thing, region locking their handheld.

Yeah, definitely a backward step after the original DS. Glad the Switch is regionless.

I can vouch for the 2DS XL. You can tell it's not as premium as previous models (bar the 2DS), but the design is great. I miss the stereoscopic 3D, though.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Will this be the first year without new Nintendo hardware (not including pokeball controller) since the 3ds release?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Will this be the first year without new Nintendo hardware (not including pokeball controller) since the 3ds release?

I thought "That can't be right" so I went to Wikipedia.

2011 - 3DS
    2012 - Wii U
    2013 - 3DS XL, 2DS
    2014 - New 3DS (and XL)
    2015 - New 2DS XL
    2016 - NES Mini
    2017 - Switch, SNES Mini

By Jove, you're right. I went back to look at the DS, too, with the DSi and XL variants, there was never more than two years between hardware releases. Damn, Nintendo. Chill out.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Will this be the first year without new Nintendo hardware (not including pokeball controller) since the 3ds release?

2014 or 2015 was missing new hardware depending on your region. I think there has also been new special edition 3DS hardware this year, just not an outright new model. I guess there's only so many times you can reiterate really.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They'll stop making then when you stop buying them.

Out of that lot I've got a Switch. It's serving me well.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    2DS XL was 2017 Swirl, you're two years out there somehow?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • my feeling is that while Iwata was the boss they were aping Apple in many ways - including having new machinery to sell annually. I think it kept people interested even when the upgrades seem minor. 

Even in the DS era we had DS, DSLite, XL and DSi
  • It's never really been any different with their handhelds tbf.

Granted it was more or less colours and special editions with the Game Boys, but they always seemed to be shoving something down our throats.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Thinking about it, colours aside, how many big consoles haven't had redesigns?

N64, DC, GCN, XBOX and Game Gear.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    2DS XL was 2017 Swirl, you're two years out there somehow?

Probably. It's late and I'm stupid.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Thinking about it, colours aside, how many big consoles haven't had redesigns?

N64, DC, GCN, XBOX and Game Gear.

Saturn, maybe, if you ignore the licensed clones. GameBoy Color, if we count it as a separate machine to the original GameBoy. The Neo Geo CD was redesigned twice, but the AES stayed the same, iirc. (Do Neo Geo systems count as "big"? Discuss.)

If we're being pedantic, the N64 Pokémon edition was physically wider. So maybe the '64 doesn't count.

I found out recently we can't count the Neo Geo Pocket Color, even if we treat it as a different machine to the non-Color: Japan got a slim version with a better screen, according to latest Retro Gamer.
  • Saturn had a redesign, be it very minor.

Forgot about that Pikachu N64, guess we gotta count it. Then again the internals were the same afaik, so what's the difference between that or a different colour.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What home console has had the most redesigns?

PS3 and 360 both had 3, so did the Wii if you count the GCNless version.

I guess XOne and PS4 both have 3 now too.

It's basically becoming a more common thing across the board.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Did the SNES have a redesign? I don't remember any...

Don't remember 3 Wiis, either. What was this version without GCN functionality?
  • SNES/SFC Jr
  • Wii mini wasn't there. Total flop.

I suspect Reg has 100 or so in a lock-up :)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Wii mini wasn't there. Total flop.

I suspect Reg has 100 or so in a lock-up :)

Only released in UK and Canada. Yes I have one.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:

I thought "That can't be right" so I went to Wikipedia.

2011 - 3DS
    2012 - Wii U
    2013 - 3DS XL, 2DS
    2014 - New 3DS (and XL)
    2015 - New 2DS XL
    2016 - NES Mini
    2017 - Switch, SNES Mini

By Jove, you're right. I went back to look at the DS, too, with the DSi and XL variants, there was never more than two years between hardware releases. Damn, Nintendo. Chill out.

mpFFOIjJH3YCdJwqrvZRbsdwgvQ=.gif
  • regmcfly wrote:
    mpFFOIjJH3YCdJwqrvZRbsdwgvQ=.gif
    My man!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • AJ wrote:
    Don't remember 3 Wiis, either. What was this version without GCN functionality?

It had the same design but had the Wii writing in a horizontal design instead of verticle. It also done away with the GCN ports and innards I guess.

OG:
    nintendo-wii-console.jpg

2nd design:
    SWIIWIIBLUE11002_l.jpg

The third was the Wii mini, already mentioned above:
    wii-mini-dark-bg_870.0.jpg

This went as far as to remove Wi-fi connectivity.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!