Deals of the Day
  • Will one be enough? Dont want to be caught short.
  • Buy this now before you spend it on non essentials. LG OLED 55B7V

How is it for gaming?

Thing is i don't actually want a new TV. Mine is awesome. It's just going to black screen sometimes for no apparent reason.
  • It does a whole 10 gaming. Very good. Very good.
  • lol i bet people who aren't interested in TV's are loving this thread right now

You know you can label HDMI 1 like 'Xbox'

I label blu ray player 'doovde'

cos i'm fucking cool like that
  • Can I still plug my HD Freview box in via SCART though, that's all I want to know.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Thanks for that blast back Liv.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I'm still on my first HDTV.

11 years and still going strong, longest lasting TV I've ever had tbh.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Can I still plug my HD Freview box in via SCART though, that's all I want to know.

SCART talk, er...now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    uT4YtRr.gif
  • My first HDTV is still going, but unfortunately I gave it away after I bought another for upstairs (now broken) and another for downstairs (huge, does a job, but it's like a magic eye pic with all the burn in).  I've also got Kazou's old 32" dvd combo in an under stairs cubby hole, which easily has the best pic in the house.
  • I'm still on my first HDTV. 11 years and still going strong, longest lasting TV I've ever had tbh.

Same. Got a 32" Samsung that I've had that long. Do want an upgrade soon mind - I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to 4K though.
  • It's like the Ku Klux Klan but 1 worse.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    I'm still on my first HDTV. 11 years and still going strong, longest lasting TV I've ever had tbh.
    Same. Got a 32" Samsung that I've had that long. Do want an upgrade soon mind - I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to 4K though.

The 32” LCD TV in bedroom is that old. Was a wedding gift. Haven’t used it in a long time, probably over a year, but wife refuses to get rid of something that works.

I’m currently content with the 32” LCD in the spare room. Only 3 years old, but wouldn’t mind a cheap 4K soon. Like the 42” LG for around £400.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've still got my first 32" HD Samsung Tv ( 720p ) up in the bedroom and it still works, bought for my 360
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I’m dreading the day my games room TV dies on me. I fear it’s unlikely I’ll be able to buy a replacement with a VGA port for my Dreamcast.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • My tv has a big green line right across the middle of it and very occasionally below the line goes purple all the way across and below.

Will be hoping it lasts till the end of the month were will be looking for a cheap 4k set for around £500 hopefully.
  • Christ, I couldn't imagine spending 800 quid on a TV let alone 1400.
    Indeed!

My 42" HD Panasonic plasma is now over 9 years old and I still think it looks great, and was much cheaper than £800.
    Of course, I do have to pay for a small power station to run it....
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • "Fun" follow up. I just had a quick look at trying to compare the power usage on my old set with that fancy OLED hair linked to...
    and roughly, if i had the choice of my TV at £600, or the OLED at £1500...and then ran them both for 9 years (averaging 6 hours per day)...they'd balance out based on the reduced energy usage of the OLED (which is about 1/3 of my TV I think)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I did all the back and forth on OLED vs LCD when I bought my Panasonic DX902. 

At the time it was the flagship LCD TV and is a brilliant set. It has local dimming and can be bought in 58” and 65” versions. 

The benefits of OLED (beyond the physical slimness) are the black levels will always be better. However, across the full light range LCD can still punch much higher especially with HDR content, so those bright highlights and bright flame effects will look much better on a good LCD and the range from light to dark will be bigger. However, things with OLED may have improved since I last looked into it.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I did all the back and forth on OLED vs LCD when I bought my Panasonic DX902. 

At the time it was the flagship LCD TV and is a brilliant set. It has local dimming and can be bought in 58” and 65” versions. 

The benefits of OLED (beyond the physical slimness) are the black levels will always be better. However, across the full light range LCD can still punch much higher especially with HDR content, so those bright highlights and bright flame effects will look much better on a good LCD and the range from light to dark will be bigger. However, things with OLED may have improved since I last looked into it.

I've got the 58" model , stunning picture quality but the lack of Panasonic support is shite considering this was 2016's flagship model
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    What support do you need? They are still pumping out updates (very slowly, but I had one about two months ago) and tbf I ignore most smart tv tech for a plug in box. In my case Apple TV, but any smart box is going to better than the aging tech they put into TV’s. I buy for PQ (and as many HDMIs as you can get).
  • b0r1s wrote:
    What support do you need? They are still pumping out updates (very slowly, but I had one about two months ago) and tbf I ignore most smart tv tech for a plug in box. In my case Apple TV, but any smart box is going to better than the aging tech they put into TV’s. I buy for PQ (and as many HDMIs as you can get).

Support as In updates, no HDR on YouTube and no Update coming for Dolby Vision despite it being capable of it.
  • Guess they want to force you to buy a new one. I still love my Panasonic Plasma, bought it for the panel, don't care about smart stuff, got an xbone/phone/laptop/chromecast for that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

Support as In updates, no HDR on YouTube and no Update coming for Dolby Vision despite it being capable of it.

Yeah the HDR on YouTube isn’t great but again using Apple TV or Nvidia Shield and you are going to keep getting updates.

As for Dolby Vision I didn’t think that was on the cards for a lot of TV’s in 2016 and is it noticeably different? Isn’t it 12 bits vs 10 or something?

Edit - just read up on Dolby Vision and this set couldn’t hit the target nit brightness target of 4,000. The DX902 can just hit above 1,000, which is still ridiculously bright to my eyes. I’m pretty sure a software update wouldn’t make any real world difference.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

Yeah the HDR on YouTube isn’t great but again using Apple TV or Nvidia Shield and you are going to keep getting updates.

As for Dolby Vision I didn’t think that was on the cards for a lot of TV’s in 2016 and is it noticeably different? Isn’t it 12 bits vs 10 or something?

Edit - just read up on Dolby Vision and this set couldn’t hit the target nit brightness target of 4,000. The DX902 can just hit above 1,000, which is still ridiculously bright to my eyes. I’m pretty sure a software update wouldn’t make any real world difference.

Ah , thought it was capable . But the Tv is stunning though
  • Playstation plus 12 month sub for £31.33 from these guys.

https://www.mmoga.com/Playstation-Network/Playstation-Plus/Playstation-PLUS-PSN-PLUS-Card-365-days-UK.html

Had a quick google around as I’ve never seen them before. Hduk and trustpilot think they are legit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Kernowgaz it really is. Definitely the best TV pic I’ve seen. With some good UHD content the quality is better than the cinema. Love it.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Hduk are not to be trusted.
  • I've had stuff from MMOGA before. No problems.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!