Let's do the top 10 movies
  • Shit, there's a Spanish movie that I loved that I'm struggling to remember the name of.

Story told out of sequence, dog fighting. A car crash. Late 90s I would have thought. But what is time?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Amores Perros?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • One of Inarritu’s. Great movie. 21 Grams was great too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Amores Perros?

Thank you. Cracker. Ah yes. 21 grams was cool too.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Has anyone said Memento yet?

Can't remember if they did
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Has anyone said Memento yet?

Oh good call. Nolan wise Inception should be i by my top 20 too

PSN - minkymu
  • Total Recall
    Sunshine
    Being John Malkovich
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    A Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    Interstellar
    District 9
    Everyone Says I love you
    North By Northwest
    The Color of Paradise

Great list. Insterstellar tho? Nolans wank fest for me.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Six entire pages before the Interstellar convo started again? We did better than I expected.
  • I’m stunned it took that long.
  • There’s a clear pattern here of the best films from the late 90’s to the late 00’s packing out our lists,  surely we’re conflating good movies with good points in our lives.  There’s outliers of course and then there’s the people wanting to look either smart or film-y and going with a black and white 60’s thing but generally we’re picking the best films from the part of our lives when we could best consume them.
  • Most of my list is linked to people, places and times.
    I've done it as my top 10 though.

THE top 10 of anything is normally quite a dull conversation. Just go on IMDB or whatever for that.
  • There’s a clear pattern here of the best films from the late 90’s to the late 00’s packing out our lists,  surely we’re conflating good movies with good points in our lives.  There’s outliers of course and then there’s the people wanting to look either smart or film-y and going with a black and white 60’s thing but generally we’re picking the best films from the part of our lives when we could best consume them.

There's the question of when I actually saw them, which I can only really answer for the most recent 5, because I saw all of those in the cinema. With the exception of True Romance, I probably saw the rest by the time I was 10, so 1995, but I've watched them many times since.

Selma (2014)
    The Wrestler (2008)
    Perfume (2006)
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
    Amélie (2001)
    True Romance (1993)
    They Live (1988)
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn (1982)
    Alien (1979)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

I think Selma probably marks the point I started to fall out out of love with film, and starting to prefer TV. The only films I've gone to see since then are the Marvel ones, which are still kinda long form storytelling. There are plenty of films from before then that could have been on the list, but not much since. It can't just be not seeing them in the cinema, because there is a fuck ton of 80's films which could conceivably have made the entire list.

In the couple of days since I made that list, I'm probably leaning on removing Star Trek to make way for The Warriors.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In terms of my experiences in the cinema, nothing tops Jaws and Empire Strikes Back. 

I wish I had seen Alien in the cinema - that would have matched those I reckon. Would like to see big screen Bladerunner too.

But seeing Jaws in 197-whatever it was and ESB in 1980 when I was 14 blew my mind. Nothing will ever beat those experiences.  Jaws must have been a re-release - no way I saw that in '75 when I was 9! I must have been about 12 or so.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    In terms of my experiences in the cinema, nothing tops Jaws and Empire Strikes Back. 

I wish I had seen Alien in the cinema - that would have matched those I reckon. Would like to see big screen Bladerunner too.

But seeing Jaws in 197-whatever it was and ESB in 1980 when I was 14 blew my mind. Nothing will ever beat those experiences.  Jaws must have been a re-release - no way I saw that in '75 when I was 9! I must have been about 12 or so.

Lol same. Empire at the cinema was wild. The gasp as vadar dropped the father line.... someone actually shouted Nooooo.

The feeling of defeat at Han in carboniite. I remember feeling wiped ouf. Buzzing ffom the lightsaber fight and the big reveal
    PSN - minkymu
    There's the question of when I actually saw them, which I can only really answer for the most recent 5, because I saw all of those in the cinema. With the exception of True Romance, I probably saw the rest by the time I was 10, so 1995, but I've watched them many times since. Selma (2014) The Wrestler (2008) Perfume (2006) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) Amélie (2001) True Romance (1993) They Live (1988) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn (1982) Alien (1979) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) I think Selma probably marks the point I started to fall out out of love with film, and starting to prefer TV. The only films I've gone to see since then are the Marvel ones, which are still kinda long form storytelling. There are plenty of films from before then that could have been on the list, but not much since. It can't just be not seeing them in the cinema, because there is a fuck ton of 80's films which could conceivably have made the entire list. In the couple of days since I made that list, I'm probably leaning on removing Star Trek to make way for The Warriors.

This spoils my point.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    davyK wrote:

Lol same. Empire at the cinema was wild. The gasp as vadar dropped the father line.... someone actually shouted Nooooo.

The feeling of defeat at Han in carboniite. I remember feeling wiped ouf. Buzzing ffom the lightsaber fight and the big reveal

A mate and I, used to lay down pillows and white sheets, to create our own Hoth, and re-enact the seen with our Kenner figures. No AT-ATs though, unfortunately.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd be tempted to add in Withnail and I as one of my personal favorites.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    In terms of my experiences in the cinema, nothing tops Jaws and Empire Strikes Back.  I wish I had seen Alien in the cinema - that would have matched those I reckon. Would like to see big screen Bladerunner too. But seeing Jaws in 197-whatever it was and ESB in 1980 when I was 14 blew my mind. Nothing will ever beat those experiences.  Jaws must have been a re-release - no way I saw that in '75 when I was 9! I must have been about 12 or so.
    Lol same. Empire at the cinema was wild. The gasp as vadar dropped the father line.... someone actually shouted Nooooo. The feeling of defeat at Han in carboniite. I remember feeling wiped ouf. Buzzing ffom the lightsaber fight and the big reveal

I remember my stomach lurching at the start with the first person view out of the snowspeeder. :)
  • A guy I play snooker with tells a story about being allowed on set for Empire with his brother as a kid.  His dad was friends with David Proust.  Doesn't strike me as a bullshitter, has no other fanciful tales (that I've been privy to at least), but they saw the reveal being filmed.  Which looks like bullshit now I've typed it.  True or not he tells it well and regards it as one of the most magnificent moments of his life (just ahead of the time Michael Jackon's sister came round his house to use the bathroom).
  • Michael Jackson has a sister?!?!!!!!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Prowse didn’t say the line during filming in order to stop the twist leaking, I believe in the recorded script it was “Obi Wan killed your father”, James Earl Jones then dubbed in the correct line later.

Source edit: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/star-wars-making-empire-strikes-back/
  • Prowse not Proust, ofc. I knew he was lying!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He may not be lying, exactly. Memory is a funny thing, if his dad told him that story when he was young, he might have turned it into a memory and genuinely believe it happened.
  • My memory can't be trusted at the best of times. I rarely play sober, he may have said Wrath of Khan.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Prowse not Proust, ofc. I knew he was lying!

Dave Proust was my Uncle's best friend. He polished Darth Vader's helmet.
  • There's something poetic there that a friend of Prowse was on set for the key scene where they had false dialogue in the shooting script for Prowse cos they knew he was leaking stuff, and that friend recalls the scene with the real dialogue as a big insider story
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Here's my Top 9, all scoring 10 on IMDb

Apollo 11
    Belfast
    Dark City
    Donnie Darko
    I, Daniel Blake
    Pleasantville
    Rabbit Hole
    United 93
    The Wrong Trousers

Picking a number 10 from 159 films scoring a 9 would be a challenge, although for the sake of diversity and since it's fairly fresh in my mind:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Prowse not Proust, ofc. I knew he was lying!
    Dave Proust was my Uncle's best friend. He polished Darth Vader's helmet.

Fnar. With his good hand.
  • In no order:

In the Mood for Love
    LGdjOWE.jpg

Shaolin Soccer
    VHmxAd0.jpg

Perfect Blue
    RjCmFRp.jpg

Sleepless in Seattle
    UjndfQG.jpg

Brief Encounter 
    VBRJNnZ.jpg

Infernal Affairs
    nrBpwK0.jpg

Alien
    7QD5Z6L.jpg

Dancer in the Dark
    0frqLNe.jpg

Grease 2
    KynCq3x.png

Devils on the Doorstep
    ZEuGKcx.jpg

Picking these was super hard. Had to miss out Airplane, The Truman Show, When Harry Met Sally, the Rocky movies (yes, really), the original version of The Haunting, Die Hard, Metropolis, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Spirited Away, Drag me to Hell, Pan's Labyrinth, Barry Lyndon, Hot Fuzz, Hard Boiled, Double Indemnity, Psycho, Punch Drunk Love (!!!!) the list goes on...but eventually I just went with my heart. These movies had the biggest impact on me, and they're my top 10.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!