Best Retro Reinventions
  • Space Invaders Extreme

Is that the one that came out as a mobile/phone game? Because that was good, even with slidy-finger controls.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Space Invaders Extreme
    Is that the one that came out as a mobile/phone game? Because that was good, even with slidy-finger controls.

I love SI...even the old tired original game. But SI Extreme left me cold. Played it on XBL.

This is the best SI update by far...
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    but initial reaction is hmmm.

RaggedUnpleasantJackal-size_restricted.gif

Also Street Fighter IV.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I know eff all about versus fightings but SF IV is magnificent even for random casual thrashing that I have done occasionally in local MP.
  • Bit of an edge case but some older games modded for VR are great. Most are better flatscreen but every now and again a title feels like it was always made for VR. The Firewatch Two Forks mod is outstanding and made a great game even better.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK wrote:
    I know eff all about versus fightings but SF IV is magnificent even for random casual thrashing that I have done occasionally in local MP.

I play Super Smash Bros against the boy in local, and teamed with him in online co-op. We have an absolute blast.
  • hunk wrote:
    Fightcade2.

I should elaborate.
    Fightcade2 runs SNES/MD/NeoGeo/DreamCast/Naomi, arcade games at a (mostly) solid 60fps. Not only that, they also recreated MP with ggpo netcode mimicking the arcade scene in its heyday. It's an incredible achievement that cannot be understated. It's literally the arcade mp at home.

I doubt many of the classic rereleased titles would've been rereleased if it weren't for their popular resurgence on emulators and online services like fc2.

Also, the idea that DC/Naomi stuff runs 60fps on a 10 yo laptop is just insane. And yes, it runs SoulCalibur at 60fps. It's voodoo magic I tells ye! I should probably try emulating GameCube/Wii as well.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't used VR in gaming. Have experienced it briefly in other applications.

Using it for flying and driving would be, to me, the optimal thing. The control scheme is such that it would add to the immersion, not detract from it.  VR Golf would be good too though golf games are enhanced by switching camera views, not a 1st person view.

Even with limb tracking , the requirement to move about is the main problem because you need to be restricted for practical and safety reasons. VR tennis or combat etc.....but then would you not be better actually doing it for real?  Could be great for training.
  • davyK wrote:
    Haven't used VR in gaming. Have experienced it briefly in other applications. Using it for flying and driving would be, to me, the optimal thing. The control scheme is such that it would add to the immersion, not detract from it.  VR Golf would be good too though golf games are enhanced by switching camera views, not a 1st person view. Even with limb tracking , the requirement to move about is the main problem because you need to be restricted for practical and safety reasons. VR tennis or combat etc.....but then would you not be better actually doing it for real?  Could be great for training.

VR has a lot of problems when it comes to non-cockpit gaming but lessons are being learned from Alyx going forward that really add to an experience - hand/weapon collision detection, smooth weapon movement, sticky hands on things like doorknobs. When things like this are ported to mods like the upcoming HL2 mod it makes such a difference. 

I personally don't think it works that well in twitch shooters but when it's more of a journey like Firewatch or Half Life it can be amazing. The Outer Wilds has quite a lot of cockpit and plenty of walking/exploration, but the sense of scale and enhanced atmosphere makes it better in VR. The sense of isolation you get playing the VR mod was something new to the experience.

What I don't understand is why more games don't have armswing locomotion. H3VR does it beautifully and it really adds to the immersion. Yes you still need standing space and enough room to swing a cat but it's enough to trick the brain into thinking you're really walking about. They need to port it more to mods of older games.

Incidentally, H3VR must be the most catalogued dev proccess of any game ever. So much love and experimentation has has gone into that game it almost puts Alyx to shame. 

Here's the dev blog (in reverse order). Now that's how you do a FPS in VR.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!