PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Add some broth, a potato...
  • nick_md wrote:
    England, potato.

If there was ever a vegetable that has helped shape our national destiny, it's the humble spud. A mainstay of our national dish, we serve it in a hundred different ways, and always insist on it being there for Sunday lunch.

In England, it partners up with cabbage to make bubble and squeak', or colcannon if you're in Ireland. And in Scotland, tatties' go hand-in-hand with neeps on Burns Night. In fact, the potato is so much a part of our culture, it's easy to forget it isn't even British.

On this day in 1586, Sir Thomas Harriot stepped off the boat in Plymouth. He had just returned from Sir Walter Raleigh's English colony on Roanoke Island in modern-day North Carolina, where he had made detailed studies of the wildlife and potatoes.

In the months that followed, Harriot recorded his adventures in A Briefe and True Report of the New Found Land of Virginia. In it, he described a curious tuber:

"Openavk are kind of roots of round forme, some of the bignes of walnuts, some far greater, which are found in moist & marish grounds growing many together one by another in ropes, or as thogh they were a string. Being boiled or sodden they are very good meate."

Britain isn't short of "moist & marish grounds" and the potato soon took root, so to speak. Since then, potatoes have become part and parcel of our national cuisine and our history too.

The failure of the potato crop in Ireland in the 1840s sparked one of the first great waves of emigration to the United States. And the great Marxist thinker, Friedrich Engels, even saw the "farinaceous tubers", as he called them, as having fuelled Britain's industrial revolution: "[Iron] is the last and most important of all raw products that play a revolutionary role in history; the last if we except the potato."

So, next time you're eating mashed openavk', remember that if it wasn't for Sir Thomas Harriot, Britain today might look and taste very different.

Recipe

Take a potato and put it in the microwave for 15 minutes.
    Cut in half and put some butter on it.
  • Why would I cut my microwave in half?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Escape wrote:
    Add some broth, a potato...

Baby you got a stew going!!
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    If only Pot Noodle refills were free.
  • i'm not much of a one for cooking. even goober's 'simple' recipe on the previous page looks like a lot of faff to me. ;)
    add in 2 kids, one of which in particular is a very fussy eater, wife and my work schedules aren't in sync, kids have activities at diff times most nights of the week....and our 'cooking' generally involves taking stuff out the freezer and chucking it in the oven. doing fajitas (with a kit obvs) is about the most involved bit of prep/cooking i do regularly - I have to actually chop up some ingredients! :)
    We're also a family of chocaholics, and also very lazy when it comes to eating fruit.

We do all look forward to the sunday roast at the grandparent's each week and have a vitamin tablet each day ;)

Breakfast is usually a bit better, for me and the youngest anyway as we'll have wholemeal toast or a 'healthier' cereal option.

My work lunch is often a Huel shake. While it's obviously processed, it seemed a better and cheaper option then the premade/junk food i was often buying for lunch whilst also saving me the faff of making my own, and does at least claim to have plenty of nutrients like fibre and protein and various vitamins etc.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • We have Gousto 3 days a week. They do 10 minutes meals. Adds some nice variety especially if your are doing veggie or fish.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ram, writing out that recipe took me more time than I usually spend cooking it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Also plus 1 for gusto. We get 4 meals a week and there is usually enough leftovers for me to take to work for lunch the next day.
  • Brooks wrote:
    And when the ingredients aren't great, that's what shitloads of seasoning is for.

Haha yep, I've always got some of this stuff handy.

https://www.ohmygreek.co.uk/products/philotimo-oregano
  • Ram, writing out that recipe took me more time than I usually spend cooking it.
    it's still an hour of cooking for a start, which i rarely have time for on an evening if we want to eat before 9pm.
    also seems like a lot of work for pasta with tomato sauce, you can buy that stuff in jars you know ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's only about 10 minutes of actual work though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, it’s a piece of piss.

I do this:

Which is similar but involves less time in the oven.

It’s delicious.
  • I consider myself fortunate enough to find salads delicious.  I generally get the impression some people don't like them? Madness

mixed leaves, olives, avocado, little tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, grilled halloumi, toasted pine nuts, and a good dressing. It's sublime. Or make it proper unhealthy by adding crispy bacon on top. Or make it more filling by adding in a tin of chickpeas or fava beans.
  • I'd eat the halloumi and bacon out of that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can knock up a solid French dressing that makes pretty much all salads delicious, I just don’t tend to find them particularly satisfying as meals.
  • Got to add in a can on beans or chickpeas.
  • You could put that on my gravestone
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just had three Tunnock's Caramels on the bounce. Am I doing it right?
  • By beans I obviously don't mean baked in tomato sauce nor green beans something similar

Although you absolutely need the crunch of cucumber and pepper if you add beans.
  • so far I've got baked beans, bacon and halloumi in this meal. The Tunnocks Caramels presumably would be dessert?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You can eat anything if you put olive oil and balsamic vinegar on it. You might not want to eat green leaves etc but add those two and they become delicious. Plus rocket. Rocket in everything. Even pizzas, amazing on pizzas.
  • ...mixed leaves, olives, avocado, little tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, grilled halloumi, toasted pine nuts, and a good dressing.

This is me every night, minus grilled halloumi, plus possibly feta cheese and mixed nuts and seeds (depending on how over-calorie I may feel I am for the day).

Eat it with a good big chunk of protein, which is usually grilled salmon fillet / meat (steak) / chicken breast / Quorn something
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Got to add in a can on beans or chickpeas.

Yes, chick peas (and beans generally) are godlike.  Protein and fibre etc etc, great food.
  • Kow wrote:
    You can eat anything if you put olive oil and balsamic vinegar on it. You might not want to eat green leaves etc but add those two and they become delicious. Plus rocket. Rocket in everything. Even pizzas, amazing on pizzas.

Rocket is the actual devil's lettuce. An evil leaf, surpassed only by lamb's lettuce. For such tasty things, lamb's have bad taste.

• Oh, broccoli.  I forgot to mention that I add broccoli to my salad too.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The devil has all the best leaves.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Oh, broccoli.  I forgot to mention that I add broccoli to my salad too.

I like sugarsnap peas in mine.

Kow wrote:
    The devil has all the best leaves.

He's got a bit of a hit and miss repertoire for me.
  • We've a fairly limited number of meals that we can all have as a family, due to myriad allergy/intolerance.  However, here's a burger so simple even Nick and Ram could manage it.

Get mince
    Blitz an onion in a blitzy machine (I use a Ninja)
    Hand-moosh mince and onion with some* ketchup, L&P, salt and pepper
    Form into burgers
    Cook**

*Just spray enough in that looks right.  I don't do measurements.
    **Oven for half an hour at 180 if you're super lazy, BBQ for best results, grill or pan fry if you're willing to keep an eye on them.

I retain enough moosh for me once the basic burgers are done and add things I like/can have but the others don't/can't, e.g. blitzed chillis.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!