Most disappointing games
  • If every Bethesda game ends up getting mentioned here, surely we can stop calling them disappointing?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That Rocket League golf game. Utter shite
  • Cupatay wrote:

No man's sky

Fuckin yawn, uninstall.

Good one. I got burned by this on launch even though a few who got it early warned about how shite it was.

I tried it again fairly recently. They've added loads of stuff but nothing takes away from the tedium. In fact, they simply added more tedious stuff to do. The NPCs are particularly laughable.

I have to say though, I've been thoroughly entertained by some of the piss take vids that have been made and the whole Sean Murray fooled the world stuff.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can go way back with this..

Defender on the 2600. One expected compromises but this was very poor. I did play it a lot but carts in 1982 were £30. The sequel only rubbed it in by showing how good it should have been.

Most games on the 8bit micro era. Almost made me give up on the whole idea of playing video games.

Xenon 2 on the Megadrive. Pile of crap. One of the few times I actually binned a game.

Magic Carpet on Saturn. Ditto.

Mario Kart 64 . Ugly as hell and just felt so slow, empty and boring. (PAL made it worse. I've revised my opinion of it since).

God of War on PS2. Boring Boring Boring.

Mario Sunshine. Fucking water based levels just turn me off.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Basically all of them
  • No Man's Sky for sure.

Dragon Age Inquisition. I beat the game and my reaction was "what a WASTE of time that was!" I actually felt guilty.

Nexus on the C64. It's a broken game but had so much potential.
  • PAL MK64 is a good shout. After the sublime Super Mario Kart, 64 was just off.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Mega Drive Menacer
    Man, it looked so cool shame the whole experience was rubbish.
    At least it made for a decent toy to play war with.

On a similar note.

R Zone.
    This looked so good in the Argos catalogue. Thankfully it was a friend's one that delivered the disappointment saving me a wasted birthday present.
  • There has to be a fair few arcade based disappointments.
  • Thinking back to the 8-bit era, there were so many C64 disappointments where I'd either played a game in the arcade or seen the arcade screenshots on the back of the box and the C64 version looked and played nothing like what I'd hoped.

Robocop for example.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    There has to be a fair few arcade based disappointments.

Dragon’s Lair. Man, that came with some lofty word of mouth and preconceptions.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I'm gonna go with Deathloop as a more recent one. It is such a good, clever concept and the gameplay is really solid. However...it just did not work for me at all. I got so incredibly bored with it and the invasion idea should have worked but became so broken and frustrating that I turned it off.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Street Fighter 5. I have a LOT of time with SF4, to the point I got pretty bloody good at it. Then when 5 came out, in suce a bare bones state, with so few characters, and no proper single player mode, as well as completely changing the fight mechanics....yeah it got told to fuck off pretty quick and I have never bothered going back to it.
  • Mario Sunshine. It was a decent game but I was expecting a sequel to Mario 64. Since remedied with Galaxy but still.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • drumbeg wrote:
    Thinking back to the 8-bit era, there were so many C64 disappointments where I'd either played a game in the arcade or seen the arcade screenshots on the back of the box and the C64 version looked and played nothing like what I'd hoped.

Robocop for example.

Street fighter 2 on the c64 was a shocker. I remember just how gutted I was when I took it out of the massive cardboard box I paid £17 for and loaded it up. I was like what the actual fuck is this. I felt robbed , must've been about 11 at the time.

Awful memories ..........
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Fallout 4. After finishing 1, 2 and 3, and loving em all, this was just a game of bloat once you got top side. I keep meaning to give it another try but can’t bring myself to bother.
  • FMV games. I used to think they looked great when I would watch them on a loop in Curries. 

The ending to Botw.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Fallout 4. After finishing 1, 2 and 3, and loving em all, this was just a game of bloat once you got top side. I keep meaning to give it another try but can’t bring myself to bother.

Yeah, Fallout 4 was a real stinker.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    It's Halo 5. What a waste of a game in a numbered series. Completing missions by talking to people. Fuck sake.

That's a good call. I remember playing the "talk to Twat X to complete Objective Y" missions and thinking how far we'd come from the perfect formula of Halo 3's 30 seconds of fun mantra.
    b0r1s wrote:

Sounds like how I feel about Resi 6.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yossarian wrote:
    BotW, HL2, mainly because they were so hyped.
    Get out

I mean this is just crazy talk. C'mon yoss. HL2 is on brand for you I know, but botw.....
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Lillehammer Winter Olympics on the Megadrive. Child me thought 7 games in 1 was an outrageous steal.
  • It’s been mentioned by someone else but Monopoly. It always starts off exciting and then within a few hours we’re all sloping off to the toilet, the tv has to go on, everyone steals apart from the one that goes bankrupt. It’s interminable but you always forget and think that this is gonna be the time a game gets finished and that you, yes you, you’re going to be the winner.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Monopoly can be fixed* pretty easily.

1) You don't collect any income while in prison, regardless if someone lands on your property. (This stops jail being a lucrative place to be.)
    2) No collecting the money in community chest if you land on free parking. (This stops a player on the verge of losing suddenly having a ton of cash and adding an extra hour or two to the game.)
    3) The game ends not when there's one non-bankrupt player left, but when one person goes bankrupt. The standings are determined by cash + value of properties.

*Made less shit, delete as appropriate.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Cupatay wrote:
    Thinking back to the 8-bit era, there were so many C64 disappointments where I'd either played a game in the arcade or seen the arcade screenshots on the back of the box and the C64 version looked and played nothing like what I'd hoped. Robocop for example.
    Street fighter 2 on the c64 was a shocker. I remember just how gutted I was when I took it out of the massive cardboard box I paid £17 for and loaded it up. I was like what the actual fuck is this. I felt robbed , must've been about 11 at the time. Awful memories ..........

I remember seeing SF2 for C64 in the shop, but I think I'd moved onto the Sega Megadrive by that point. I couldn't believe they had attempted to bring it to C64 actually and my expectations would have been extremely low. The C64 was at it's best when playing to it's strengths and not attempting to replicate shiny arcade/16-bit games.

I've never actually seen it in action before. The video does not surprise me at all. Surely mixing up the title and character select music is just devs trolling us.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Monopoly can be fixed* pretty easily.

1) You don't collect any income while in prison, regardless if someone lands on your property. (This stops jail being a lucrative place to be.)
    2) No collecting the money in community chest if you land on free parking. (This stops a player on the verge of losing suddenly having a ton of cash and adding an extra hour or two to the game.)
    3) The game ends not when there's one non-bankrupt player left, but when one person goes bankrupt. The standings are determined by cash + value of properties.

*Made less shit, delete as appropriate.

Timed games are decent to.

Play for 60mins then add up the value of all assets and remaining cash to declare a winner, like you said in point 3.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Also ban private deals.

I'll give you two 4 properties for that one yellow I need to make a set etc. That always passes me off.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Isn't there a thing which gets ignored a lot where once someone lands on a vacant spot if the player doesn't buy it it gets auctioned off straight away? Remember reading this, not sure if it was an actual rule or a suggestion but it was supposed to speed things up a lot.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    PAL MK64 is a good shout. After the sublime Super Mario Kart, 64 was just off.

Its best tracks are superb but that speed and those blurry character sprites.... and that unskippable end of cup sequence.....That Wario Stadium track was awful. 

I have the JP version now and the speed helps but it's still the runt of the litter for me.
  • I remember arguments between MK64 and Diddy Kong Racing.
    Diddy Kong won then and it wins now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    There has to be a fair few arcade based disappointments.

Anyone who thought they were going to get a £2,000 arcade game onto a 2600 or a £140 bit micro connected to a CRT via RF were going to be disappointed.

I have consistently been wary of licenced games which has minimised my disappointments.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!