World Cup 2022: While my Qatar gently weeps
  • Missed the game. Was it any good?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Worth skipping the ballet....
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • So is Emi Martinez the only World Cup winner to have played in League 2?
  • Scumbag country. Still want the tell all by G
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • On My Honour, the g.man story
  • It’s certainly not a place I’ll be in a hurry to go back to. Breathtaking hypocrisy between the ruling classes and their underlings. Very much “do what I say, not what I’m doing behind closed doors.”
    I came away from Doha with the lasting impression that, you have all this money, and this was all you could think to do with it?!
    Huge billboards everywhere proclaiming “We’re winning the hearts and minds of the world!”
    …um…no you’re not. You’re just trying to buy the hearts and minds of the world, and while we’re quite happy to take that money, we still think your country is a complete shit-show.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Historically, the Arab world made great contributions to art and science. Oil  and fundamentalism is the worst thing that has happened to them.  Bloated and blunted now. Polluted by Western mores.

Not that the rest of us are any better - but they were inventing mathematical systems while we were in mud huts.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Not the oil states like Qatar mind, they offered fuck all historically and offer fuck all now.
  • Yep- Islam might have originated in that desert but any achievements of note ultimately were located in the takeover or greco-roman and Persian cultures. Damascus, Alexandria, Cairo, Baghdad, Tehran, Spain, Fez, Samarkand and eventually Constantinople.

In the Arabian desert, just herding camels. Even the famous Arabian steeds aren't native
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • The idea of what a culture offered historically is an odd concept to judge a culture by. I would argue an unfair one.
    It's an economical mindset to evaluate something based on output.

It seems to me that a culture or society and it's people have intrinsic value regardless of whether they create art, travel, explore, live a nomadic or subsistence way. Cultures that are able to live in respect of the land they live in and treat people - even invaders - with decency and humanity is a much more sensible evaluation of a cultures worth.

We know in Australia there are stories of Dutch shipwreck survivors, or child convicts who escaped who were cared for and saved by the tribes they encountered. There is history of trade between northern Australias aboriginal people and Chinese, Pacific Islander and SE Asian travellers.

All these cultures in pre-1788 Australia were filled with amazing oral stories, art, song lines and knowledge of the land they lived in. I would never feel right judging them based on whether or not they made ornate temples, mathematical breakthroughs or other fantastic achievements. It would be ignorant of their way of living with their land.

I'm also mindful that many of us here are also descended from recent empires, conquerers, invaders in many directions and this to me is actually something that deletes from the value of a culture; the inability to see dignity in others and their right to continued existence is abhorrent.

That said, fuck Qatar. For some of the reasons mentioned above it exploits and abuses powerless people. It doesn't matter what art or science it has or hasn't created. It grinds people into the dirt and robs them of their basic human rights.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The world has had periods of tolerance where islam and christianity lived side by side albeit with exercised tolerance with conditions imposed the empirical control of the time.

The crusades didnt help.

I would consider a culture's contribution to knowledge valuable as it will both extend the human race's span existence through science and the quality of life itself through the arts.

Artifacts are only markers of that and are not the only measure.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!