Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • I think the action in the John Wick movies is impressive, rather than fun.

I’d enjoy it more if it was fun.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wick is good fun but it becomes tiring after a while. I remember feeling the same about the Matrix fights.

Kung Fu Hustle - now that was a good one.  The pacing was great. You couldn't imagine how they could 1up the previous fight and yet they kept it up . :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    First Wick was good but the the rest just fizzled out.
  • I haven't seen Kung Fu Hustle in soooooo long.
    I must fix that!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Shaolin Soccer was fun too, but Kung Fu Hustle is an all-timer.
  • poprock wrote:
    I think the action in the John Wick movies is impressive, rather than fun.

I’d enjoy it more if it was fun.

Yeah this is exactly it. There's some very impressive stunts and a few that I look forward to seeing how they pulled it off but I just wish they put it together a bit better.

Like the one big sequence that will get mentioned a lot is quite cool and was obviously fucking hard to pull off but the way it's shot made it feel like a videogame and not an exciting film sequence.
  • I love em, they’re masterclasses in action.
  • I appreciate the craft in the choreography but I just didnt find it exciting in this one.

Been a little while since I watched them but I think I remember liking the first two more. Although I still feel like the actions scenes shouldn't be set to music and should just be the fight sounds. Never really fits for me as I'd say the action is more methodical than kinetic in its execution and presentation.

Donnie Yen is the best thing in the new one though. His execution of that character is phenomenal and his fight scenes were the best for me.
  • For some of you

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    I’m here to defend the John Wick films. They’re knowingly ludicrous, but it’s fun to lean into that. On Sunday night I went to see Chapter 4 at the cinema, so I spent the weekend leading up to it rewatching the first three. I can’t believe none of you are having fun watching them.

I watched it on Sunday. Liked it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It'll suprise nobody here that I absolutely love the John Wick films. 
    Incredible levels of skill on display and the choreography is phenomenal.

For many years my parents were keen to get me into stunt work and wanted me to become a fight choreographer. I used to do so many fun "scenes" with my martial arts mates as a teenager.

Man I miss it. I still pass by large windows or stairs and have an urge to hurl myself through/down them
  • For some of you

An' if you think I don't mean what I say and I'm only bluffin'/you got another thing comin' I'm tellin' you that for nuffin'.

Genuine genius.
  • I still pass by large windows or stairs and have an urge to hurl myself through/down them

Been there. It's ok to reach out.
  • I still pass by large windows or stairs and have an urge to hurl myself through/down them

Two years ago this might have been the context.
    I'm now thankfully back to "that looks like it could be fun/look cool"
  • For some of you
    An' if you think I don't mean what I say and I'm only bluffin'/you got another thing comin' I'm tellin' you that for nuffin'. Genuine genius.

Love some Chas & Dave. It's on the playlist all morning.
    I often sing "rabbit" to my wife when she won't stop talking
  • Aye, got that.

Also amused by the idea of parents actively encouraging their kid to get into stunt work.
  • Aye, got that. Also amused by the idea of parents actively encouraging their kid to get into stunt work.
    My mum also encouraged me to sign up for medical trials in my 20s to make some extra cash. 

I am concerned by the life insurance policy she set up for me
  • For a bit of extra context when she took me skiing at 16 in Colorado we spent about 30 minutes getting the feel for things on the bunny slope before she took me to top of the third peak and then tried to race me down a black diamond run.

It's a miracle I've survived as long as I have
  • @wookie The only music guaranteed to get my wife out of a bad mood.  I'm mindful not to over-use my secret power.  Or play any covers, she hates the covers.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    I’m here to defend the John Wick films. They’re knowingly ludicrous, but it’s fun to lean into that. On Sunday night I went to see Chapter 4 at the cinema, so I spent the weekend leading up to it rewatching the first three. I can’t believe none of you are having fun watching them.

I enjoy them all right. And I also enjoy Ian McShane.  But fancy fighting is a crowded genre. However I will watch #4. I might even go to the cinema to see it.
  • He's 80 now too. 80!
    Still has that gravitas
  • He's 80 now too. 80!
    Still has that gravitas

Davy?!
    Two years ago this might have been the context. I'm now thankfully back to "that looks like it could be fun/look cool"

So you went from depressed suicidal to delusional suicidal?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    He's 80 now too. 80! Still has that gravitas
    Davy?!

Felt like it this morning.
  • 31. DnD Honour Among Thieves
    This was a lot of fun. Really did feel like a DnD campaign. Sure a lot of styling and quips were very Marvel but I also think it had some really good gags and some cool ideas.
    [7]
  • I was surprised by the reviews. Expected it to be gash. I mean, even the trailer looked crap which takes some doing. 

Gonna wait until it hits streaming services though.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    31. DnD Honour Among Thieves
    This was a lot of fun. Really did feel like a DnD campaign. Sure a lot of styling and quips were very Marvel but I also think it had some really good gags and some cool ideas.
    [7]

I liked the look of the trailer. Planning on seeing it over the Easter holidays with Nate and the two nephews
  • I saw the trailer with one hand over my left eye so maybe that's why the trailer only looked half decent to me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!