Start the Movie! (Movie titles, logos, cinema ads)
  • I miss console startup animations and sounds.  The OG Playstation one is the most memorable for me.  Saturn was pretty cool too.

And older menu music/sounds.  PS2 was lovely.  360 was nice, and I miss the blades.  Progressively got worse and the Series dash is so utter gasg, ugliest thing I have ever seen.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • That bit in Astro's Playroom when you get to the end of the PS1 section on there is a mountain of CRTs with the PS1 startup playing.
    Nostalgia gold.

Very Nam June Paik.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This always stuck in my head.

Aye. Orion. Particularly from the VHS days.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    That bit in Astro's Playroom when you get to the end of the PS1 section on there is a mountain of CRTs with the PS1 startup playing.
    Nostalgia gold.

Very Nam June Paik.

The whole thing is a love letter to Playstation. The museum you fill with the gatcha balls is great, popping the lid up on the OG PS etc.

I loved the little robbits acting out scenes from the games too
  • Oh for sure. I think the PS1 level got me most though, that grey styling is iconic.
  • Title sequences!!!

Oh BABY!

That's what got me into motion design and I still fucking love it. My degree show was redesigning the titles for Blade Runner. :-)

I knew Pop would have some good insight here, and those links are great.

Saul Bass is king, as Tin pointed out. Look up Kyle Cooper and Imaginary Forces too. Particularly for Se7en.

So many amazing ones out there, but I agree that Alien is one of the best; it's Swiss typography in motion.

I've noticed that some games are getting really good at title sequences too, and that's something I must find time to research. The in-game sequence for Prey was fucking clever (and a nod to Panic Room).

I'm up to my eyes in work atm so can't dive in as much as I want...
  • Cheers Cooper, will have a look through some Kyle Cooper and Imaginary Forces. Imagine it will be a case of "oh they did that".

Put this together over a few hours the past couple of days. Its not perfect and someone better with sound will come in and do that properly, just a proof of concept to show my boss using one of our logos.
  • Mate, that's great for a proof-of-concept and has that good, boom-y sound.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There was a time when you had really long intros with animation sequences.

Around the World in 80 Days - the David Niven version springs to mind, as does It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

• Bass' whole idea was to set the mood and prepare audiences for the tone of the film. In many, many cases his sequences were short films in themselves. Walk on the Wild Side, with the cat title sequence is a great example of this.
  • Oh no. I went and opened the link on artofthetitle and now my day is fucked.

Also, I have to watch Jackass forever. That opening had me honking laughing
  • Oh no. I went and opened the link on artofthetitle and now my day is fucked.

#SorryNotSorry

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!