Nintendo Switch 2! Or Switch U or whatever they decide to call it
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I don’t understand how people are hoping to get some kind of (approximately) Series S level hardware into something roughly the size of a Switch Oled? I think MS were praised all over for their neat and tidy engineering design with their current consoles and we’re meant to expect Nintendo to do even better whilst also powering the screen and using a battery that will run all this for four or five hours? Seems too much like fingers crossed voodoo to me.
    I reckon the end product will be slightly less powerful than lower end expectations.  That's been the case with quite a few Nintendo consoles over the years.  I'd be fully erect for a handheld PS4/Xbox One level console, and maybe they could add more [RAM?  Memory bandwidth?] so it punches above its weight with ports.

They'd have to go out of their way to make this happen though - the Tegra X1 was 2/3 years old before the Switch launched, so it wasn't new tech by any means. But any mobile SOC from 2018 onwards from Nvidia will be a massive jump up on what they have now. So, they could still go old-ish and cheap and it'll be a nice little thing.
  • That's what I meant but I type like my dad.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I don’t understand how people are hoping to get some kind of (approximately) Series S level hardware into something roughly the size of a Switch Oled? I think MS were praised all over for their neat and tidy engineering design with their current consoles and we’re meant to expect Nintendo to do even better whilst also powering the screen and using a battery that will run all this for four or five hours? Seems too much like fingers crossed voodoo to me.
    I reckon the end product will be slightly less powerful than lower end expectations.  That's been the case with quite a few Nintendo consoles over the years.  I'd be fully erect for a handheld PS4/Xbox One level console, and maybe they could add more [RAM?  Memory bandwidth?] so it punches above its weight with ports.
    They'd have to go out of their way to make this happen though - the Tegra X1 was 2/3 years old before the Switch launched, so it wasn't new tech by any means. But any mobile SOC from 2018 onwards from Nvidia will be a massive jump up on what they have now. So, they could still go old-ish and cheap and it'll be a nice little thing.

I like this news.  Pre-Switch was the only time I've really seen any Tegra chat and the assumption seemed to be that it would roll with Tegra X2(?), right up until it didn't.
  • People hoped for X2 yeah but...never hope for the newest with Nintendo.
  • They'd get killed if it wasn't backwards compatible in 2024, right?  I don't need to worry about this do I?  Even with the Nintendo factor.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I better start using my Sw1tch to justify a Sw2tch
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Switch
    2witch
    S3itch
    Switc4 
    5witch
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    They'd get killed if it wasn't backwards compatible in 2024, right?  I don't need to worry about this do I?  Even with the Nintendo factor.
    I can tell you with one million per cent certainty that this will be backwards compatible.
  • monkey wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    They'd get killed if it wasn't backwards compatible in 2024, right?  I don't need to worry about this do I?  Even with the Nintendo factor.
    I can tell you with one million per cent certainty that this will be backwards compatible.

Nah, it won’t be. They’ll change the storage needed for the console and won’t put the Switch cart slot in the new console. They’ll use that as an excuse and digital games won’t work for another reason.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm still reckoning dual-screen, with an owl decor + original IP.

Switch SWuu.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Or shit maybe the second screen will be on the rear.

Switch Back.

With Switch back-compatibility to confuse the nans.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Switch SWuu.
    I read that as an owl detector, which would be a very Nintendo thing to do.

Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

Switch SWuu.
    I read that as an owl detector, which would be a very Nintendo thing to do.
    Sounds like a hoot
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

Nah, it won’t be. They’ll change the storage needed for the console and won’t put the Switch cart slot in the new console. They’ll use that as an excuse and digital games won’t work for another reason.
    I'm a billion per cent certain they won't kill off the eshop and build a new one from scratch, launch a new console with about 5 games, rebuild all their emulators and subscription stuff from scratch, kick their developers in the balls when Sony, MS, Apple, PC and Android all offer a stable platform that won't get junked with every new hardware release. Nintendo are historically pretty good with BC.
    I'm one trillion per cent certain.
  • Switch 64ooooouuuuuuurrrrr!!!
  • just read the whole thread waiting to do a switch64 gag and then you two got there on the last posts...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I don't know much about particular chipsets and the like but in terms of consumer expectation I'd imagine it has to be PS4/One minimum, probably slightly refined and with DLSS.
    It has to justify its existence and anything below that level falls into New 3DS for me.

I also think they will do well to target ease of porting games from that era and possibly even current gen games at a lower fidelity (Series S and the long cross over period between gens possibly doing them some favours there). Which seems to be the case going off the FF7 chat. The old thing is that Nintendo make consoles for Nintendo games which Im sure will retain some element of truth but its hard to ignore that they are most successful when they play nice rather than having hardware, media formats and peripherals that complicate matters. Nintendo might make hardware for Nintendo games but they also really like money, as do publishers who will happily support Nintendo hardware with new games if they can also port over a bunch of old stuff, the Switch has been really successful in this department.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think it’s easy to forget that even base PS4 was targeting a solid 1080p for most of the gen. I wouldn’t be shocked if a lot of Switch 2 games were rendering at 720p with whatever cut-down DLSS they use bumping them up.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If they're bumping 720p to 4k using upscale god help us all
  • If they're bumping 720p to 4k using upscale god help us all

Mate, games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 drop to well below 500p. This will blow their minds even with a bunch of weird artefacts.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message

It’s an improvement on bumping 540p to 1080p using upscale and then my TV bumping 1080p to 4k using upscale.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    It’s an improvement on bumping 540p to 1080p using upscale and then my TV bumping 1080p to 4k using upscale.

Yup.
  • Xenoblade is best experienced at no p, upscaled to cart thrown in the canal.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Xenoblade is best experienced at no p, upscaled to cart thrown in the canal.

Yeah, honestly have nothing to add to this. Perfect course of action, no notes.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message

Mate, games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 drop to well below 500p. This will blow their minds even with a bunch of weird artefacts.

True, true,, I forget the Ninty lot are visual paupers. I will let them cook.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Guys, Pyra and Mythra’s semi-nakedness symbolises that they are two halves of the same schismed being. Together they make a fully clothed woman. This is a franchise with deep themes going on beneath the surface, show some respect.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!